BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Front View Camera ... Adequate Peripheral Vision?

10-07-2018, 05:26 PM   #1
frcotting
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 M50i

Front View Camera ... Adequate Peripheral Vision?

This may sound like a weird concern: Over the past few years I've had an F10 M5, an F80 M3 and a F82 M4, all equipped with front-view cameras (2) mounted in the front fenders. These worked great! I always back into parking spaces, and I rely on the peripheral vision from the front mounted cameras to avoid getting clipped by some jackass driving too fast through a parking lot when I'm pulling out. This especially comes in handy when you find yourself sandwiched between two massive SUVs.

I see that the new 5 series, including the M5, has done away with the two front cameras and instead has a single "wide-angle" camera mounted right between the kidney grilles. I'm not convinced that the single front-mounted camera is going to provide the same range of peripheral vision that the two separate fender-mounted cameras did. Can someone comment on whether the M5's front mounted camera provides adequate peripheral vision compared to the old setup with two separate cameras?
Appreciate 0