F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Rear light repair?
Extreme Powerhouse

10-09-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
vintagevrs
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Rear light repair?

I have an f31 and today noticed one of the red strips in the rear lights was not lit. Thought it must be a blown bulb. But on inspection only the brake and indicator lights are normal bulbs. The light source for the two red strips that illluminate when the lights are on are from leds. Bmw told me I need a new unit at €280 for one side. Both sides are letting in water and I expect the board that runs the leds has failed due to the water, and the 2nd one will likely fail soon. Car is out of warranty and bmw don't want to know.

Is there a diy fix for this? I'm guessing not as the units look like they are sealed. Any other options?

Here is how it looks now

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 02:45 AM   #2
PX3
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 / F32

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagevrs View Post
I have an f31 and today noticed one of the red strips in the rear lights was not lit. Thought it must be a blown bulb. But on inspection only the brake and indicator lights are normal bulbs. The light source for the two red strips that illluminate when the lights are on are from leds. Bmw told me I need a new unit at €280 for one side. Both sides are letting in water and I expect the board that runs the leds has failed due to the water, and the 2nd one will likely fail soon. Car is out of warranty and bmw don't want to know.

Is there a diy fix for this? I'm guessing not as the units look like they are sealed. Any other options?

Here is how it looks now

Cheers

I realise the following is for an X3, but it may come in useful - https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ght=rear+light

Although with yours, it seems only one of the two LED bars has gone, so it could be as simple as a loose connector, but with water ingress it could be degrading the connectors. I guess worst case, the led has just died, in which case I would assume a whole new unit would be required unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 05:55 AM   #3
vintagevrs
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

Yeah thanks for that. Unfortunately that little control board that is on the outside of the light on the x3 I believe is on the inside on the f31. Prob better to get a scrap yard set. Just a pain in a fresh enough car.
Appreciate 0