E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Voltage regulator

10-13-2018, 12:52 AM   #1
aculp335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: Manual FBO E90 335i

Voltage regulator

I'm replacing my voltage regulator and turns out a PO already has done this once and the two torx screws holding the voltage regulator on are stripped. Does anyone know/have the part number for the screws? Been searching everywhere with no solution.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2018, 08:38 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Man, what a bitch, I tried looking all over for the P/N too, just because like researching stuff like this. The voltage regulator P/N I found was 12317561939 for the Bosch alternator. But realOEM in any of the schematics doesn't have the screws as individual parts.

So a question I have is, when you say "stripped" you mean the Torx star indent in the screwhead is stripped and not the actual screw threads? With the assumption that you can remove the screws, just take them to a decent autoparts store, or good hardware store and match them up. So (a) you know they are metric, (b) have the length (if you can get them out), (c) a hex-head bolt of the same size should fit (unless the recess in the regulator body doesn't allow it). So my guess is the bolts are either an M6 or M8 and probably 10MM or 20MM long. BMW doesn't usually use non-standard threads, so the M6 screw standard thread pitch is a 1.0 and M8's are 1.25. So I think you are looking for either:

M6x10 (with 1.0 pitch)... or M6x20
M8x10 (with 1.25)... or M8x20

With wrenching on BMWs for 30 years, my experience says the screws are standard-thread M6x10MM. An autoparts store would probably have the screw available in Torx head. A hardware store (like ACE or ServiceStar - i.e. not Lowes/Home Depot) with a good hardware selection will have M6 screws, anodized with a phillips-head (that would work just fine). PO sounds like an ape and didn't know what he was doing.

I just looked at an E30 on realOEM for individual alternator parts and the screws (bolts) that hold the voltage regulator and they are M6x10. The P/N is 07119915057. So that's my best guess being it confirmed with the E30 info.

Good luck with it.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-13-2018 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: adding E30 info
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd6018.50
      10-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #3
aculp335i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Man, what a bitch, I tried looking all over for the P/N too, just because like researching stuff like this. The voltage regulator P/N I found was 12317561939 for the Bosch alternator. But realOEM in any of the schematics doesn't have the screws as individual parts.

So a question I have is, when you say "stripped" you mean the Torx star indent in the screwhead is stripped and not the actual screw threads? With the assumption that you can remove the screws, just take them to a decent autoparts store, or good hardware store and match them up. So (a) you know they are metric, (b) have the length (if you can get them out), (c) a hex-head bolt of the same size should fit (unless the recess in the regulator body doesn't allow it). So my guess is the bolts are either an M6 or M8 and probably 10MM or 20MM long. BMW doesn't usually use non-standard threads, so the M6 screw standard thread pitch is a 1.0 and M8's are 1.25. So I think you are looking for either:

M6x10 (with 1.0 pitch)... or M6x20
M8x10 (with 1.25)... or M8x20

With wrenching on BMWs for 30 years, my experience says the screws are standard-thread M6x10MM. An autoparts store would probably have the screw available in Torx head. A hardware store (like ACE or ServiceStar - i.e. not Lowes/Home Depot) with a good hardware selection will have M6 screws, anodized with a phillips-head (that would work just fine). PO sounds like an ape and didn't know what he was doing.

I just looked at an E30 on realOEM for individual alternator parts and the screws (bolts) that hold the voltage regulator and they are M6x10. The P/N is 07119915057. So that's my best guess being it confirmed with the E30 info.

Good luck with it.
I really appreciate your time and effort.
I've gotten one screw out so far and the other is completely rounded out on the head. Yes only the heads are stripped. I have a torx bit jb welded in the screw head at the moment, once it finishes drying hopefully I'll be able to remove it.
I'll go by an auto parts store tomorrow and see what I can find for a replacement screw and thanks again for the info, it'll definitely help tremendously.
I'll update tomorrow afternoon.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2018, 08:50 PM   #4
aculp335i
United_States
Rep

Success! Finally managed to get the screw out. Had to use a saw blade to cut a flat head into it then replaced the screws with m4-0.7X12 cap screws and a washer from homedepot

1st is the screw I removed
2nd is the replacement
Attached Images

Appreciate 0