E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?

07-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #1
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does this sound like a fuel pump issue?

I haven't had any of the extended crank times as most people experience but just yesterday my car started to exhibit rough idle. It seems to briefly shudder hard once in a while while sitting at a light. Also when accelerating slowly from a light it shudders sometimes as if the engine were misfiring. Lastly, if I am in a high gear/low RPM situation(mostly occurs below 2000rpm) and I push it moderately-hard it spudders, again as if it were misfiring. Car runs fine otherwise. If I am in a high rpm and push the car hard it seems smooth like before.

My car is going in for service this wednesday for maintenance and some other minor issues, they can run a test on the fuel pump right?

I'm starting to get worried.

09/06 production
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
cwn23
Major
Rep
Drives: E92

Your taking off all your mods before u take it in, or your going Russian roulette style?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
daves335i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I also have a 9/06 production, and mine failed at around 18K.

Rough cranking and hard to idle, reveving engine to get things going, then didnt start at all. Entire thing took about 3-4 days to completely fail.

But, I can't remember if driving during those few days there were issues.

so, i guess my reply is useless.. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #4
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

+1 for the HPFP. Seems like the failures start by either the rough idle or the long crank and get progressively worse.

+1 for removing the mods, although the FMIC would be a pain in the ass.

In any case, keep your fingers crossed and pray to the Gods of The HPFP that you get a good pump - it would suck to have to go through this again in a couple thousand miles.

Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #5
RiXst3r
Rep
Drives: M235i

9/06 is in the recall, so they will replace it during any service.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2008, 10:06 PM   #6
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

just go in to the dealer and mention "open campaign about hpfp(high pressure fuel pump)" and they WILL honor it for you. I'm taking my car to the dealer this thursday for service and hpfp replacement also and i had no problem with my fuel pump...

hope this helps...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
bimmermansfl
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 F82 M4

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I'm taking mine in as well and have the same exact symptoms that you have. I have already had my pump replaced once, two weeks after purchase :-(

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:19 PM   #8
raannathr333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20' x40i, 07’ 335i, 11’ M3

I have had the same problem and worked with BMW to fix it... It took two weeks to diagnose and about 5 test drives.

They need to:

1) Check Spark Plugs, First and foremost. (#5 was bad on mine)
2) Check High Pressure Fuel Pump (mine was ok)
3) Check Low Pressure fuel Sensor/Pump (mine was replaced)
4) wash your car
5) Call and let you know its ready to be picked up.

cheers!
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 08:44 PM   #9
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Quote:
Originally Posted by hun77777 View Post
just go in to the dealer and mention "open campaign about hpfp(high pressure fuel pump)" and they WILL honor it for you. I'm taking my car to the dealer this thursday for service and hpfp replacement also and i had no problem with my fuel pump...

hope this helps...
Not true, you need to further get them to look into if it is the pump to get them to replace it. I'm already in this phase.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #10
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by raannathr333 View Post
I have had the same problem and worked with BMW to fix it... It took two weeks to diagnose and about 5 test drives.

They need to:

1) Check Spark Plugs, First and foremost. (#5 was bad on mine)
2) Check High Pressure Fuel Pump (mine was ok)
3) Check Low Pressure fuel Sensor/Pump (mine was replaced)
4) wash your car
5) Call and let you know its ready to be picked up.

cheers!

I have the exact same problem as the OP. I'm taking it in for the 4th time next week. Every time they finish working on it they say it's fixed but it's not as i find out. Every time diagnostics points to cylinder 5 (as a code is usually tossed) and they have replaced the spark plug, fuel injector and related coil pack. They have replaced a perfectly good fuel pump that i had from the start with a bad one then put in another replacement pump that now works. They have replaced the rear pump and PR/filter. They also replaced my computer and gave me the loss of low end torque program that also cools the oil temp about 10 degrees lower. Still the same problem as the OP and the symptoms are soooooo annoying.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #11
hun77777
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegacy View Post
Not true, you need to further get them to look into if it is the pump to get them to replace it. I'm already in this phase.
well it's funny you claim it's not true when i'm speaking only the facts... i went to dealer for oil service and mention if they know or have any issue with hpfp so far, SA looked up the bulletin and told me there is open campaign for my production period and they will replace hpfp on my scheduled service date. i didn't even ask any of it...

so either your car doesn't fall into the production period for open campaign or your dealer sucks ass... again, open campaign is for early 2007 models only and they WILL HONOR...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #12
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

But as Mike said - You will also probably be updated to 29.2, along with any fuel pump replacement.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 01:49 AM   #13
TheLegacy
Gangsta status
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

They only would "honor"/think of replacing the pump when they feel its certainly worth the option aka when I return for a 3rd time. The production date was no longer factor because even 08s have issues with the pump. Reason why I use to never go to dealers. If you want something done... do it yourself err w/your own mechanics
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #14
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Just an update for the OP...

After taking my car in for the fourth time in a row for the same problem BMW finally told the lead mechanic that it's normal to have a miss-fire because of lean conditions at idle and they closed my case.

I didn't believe this since my car was perfect before so i bought 6 new spark plugs and the spark plug tool, which btw BMW Canada wouldn't sell me for some stupid reason so i bought it on-line in the US. I took it to my dealer and paid out of my own pocket to have them install them. My dealer didn't have the tool so it came in handy.

Guess what? Problem solved! The car idles smoothly back down at 550 rpm and I am one happy camper now.

After driving away I phoned the dealer and they said BMW won't reimburse me but they said they will take car of me somehow.

It's unfortunate BMW corporate has got their head stuck in cyberspace and can't allow the mechanics at the dealers to use common sense in diagnosing your car.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:10 AM   #15
myfirstbmw335i
myfirstbmw335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6-Speed, NAV, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post
I haven't had any of the extended crank times as most people experience but just yesterday my car started to exhibit rough idle. It seems to briefly shudder hard once in a while while sitting at a light. Also when accelerating slowly from a light it shudders sometimes as if the engine were misfiring. Lastly, if I am in a high gear/low RPM situation(mostly occurs below 2000rpm) and I push it moderately-hard it spudders, again as if it were misfiring. Car runs fine otherwise. If I am in a high rpm and push the car hard it seems smooth like before.

My car is going in for service this wednesday for maintenance and some other minor issues, they can run a test on the fuel pump right?

09/06 production

My car is a 10/06 production and I had NO Pump Issues. I took my car in for a window adjustment and when I picked up the car, they had replaced my fuel pump while they had it. My invoice says it was replaced under a "RECALL".
Also, tech tested for codes and found none. My car runs 100% better now and I didn't think I had any pump issues....

good luck..
      07-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #16
Acap14
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller84 View Post

09/06 production
i just had the same exact problem youre having, i brought it to the dealer and they replaced my hpfp, it came out acting fine but as ass oon i broke the pump in and got on it the same feeling of a misfire was still there, i changed my plugs and it went away. Bring it in have it serviced if the pump doesnt fix it change your plugs. Prod date 03/07
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #17
myfirstbmw335i
myfirstbmw335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6-Speed, NAV, Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
But as Mike said - You will also probably be updated to 29.2, along with any fuel pump replacement.
As indicated in my other post, my pump was replaced under a RECALL. They did not update my Program. I still have 27.01.02

I addition, I have developed a solid relationship with my SA and a couple of the techs who work on my car. My car runs perfect with 27.01.02 and they told me they would only update the Progman if I complain about issues that the newest version would correct.....

my .02
      07-19-2008, 01:29 AM   #18
Vince@ V K Motorwerks
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 01 Black 911 Turbo, 09 X5

I just started having the same issue. I had my HPFP replaced 3 times already. One more and its lemon time! I think its more to do with my spark plugs though, bought them waiting for monday to replace them.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:43 AM   #19
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Well, I brought it for service and they replaced the fuel pump as part of the recall which sucks because I was not having issues and hope that I don't with the new pump. They also updated the progman and now I see what others are complaining about. They checked the computer for faults and as a result replaced an Exhaust Vanos Solenoid. None of the above fixed the issue that I was having.

I had to bring the car in for service again since some parts needed to be ordered for unrelated problems. While I was waiting for the department to open, it happened to throw a CEL while idling. DME showed a misfire, turned out to be a bad spark plug on cylinder #1. Wierd how it didn't throw a code for the first week that I experieinced the problem. But car runs good now and I'm happy.

Should I replace my other plugs?
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 01:54 AM   #20
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

How many miles are some of these spark plug issues showing up at?

Separately, I've had a few 3-second starts that seemed really weird and didn't repeat. I'm in FL, so its never "cold," but the car hadn't been driven in many hours each time. The car acted fine once started. Any thoughts on this? 11/07 build based on a VIN check.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
bmwmike
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanny View Post
How many miles are some of these spark plug issues showing up at?

Separately, I've had a few 3-second starts that seemed really weird and didn't repeat. I'm in FL, so its never "cold," but the car hadn't been driven in many hours each time. The car acted fine once started. Any thoughts on this? 11/07 build based on a VIN check.

I'd say there is not enough data to state with certainty the frequency required for sp replacement, if that's what your trying to conclude. I'd like to see how many more miles this new set lasts before i have the same problems again and then i'd know with more certainty. Otherwise, for me it was approx. 30K miles.

My original pump i had for almost 2 years fired up instantly, even if the car sat for weeks, regardless of temperature. Once they stuck the faulty pump in it took 3 or more seconds to start which was a dead giveaway. The mechanic at my dealer said that there is a check valve holding the pressure in the HPFP and when you open the driver door the pump in the rear tank energizes, then when you put the key in the ignition the rear pump energizes again.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #22
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

It seems like the folks here that are modded and frequently run higher octane gas need to worry the most about their plugs.

Otherwise, I would agree with Mike that 30k would be the minimum for plugs to last on a stock vehicle, with 50k being more likely.

Roller, this might be just me, but I would want to change all my plugs at the same time, not just one.
Appreciate 0