BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    Can you activate AWD Sport in MDM?

10-21-2018, 10:30 AM   #1
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Can you activate AWD Sport in MDM?

AWD Sport is only available with DSC Off right?
I have specced and I am about to order my brand new M5. This is the only thing I haven't been able to confirm with my dealer.

Regards
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

AWD Sport is available in MDM mode.

Last edited by kdeleon; 10-21-2018 at 02:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
CarlosM4403.50
      10-21-2018, 01:46 PM   #3
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Only time you can't have DSC enabled is 2wd mode.

I think that MDM and 4WD Sport would be the setting I'd run the car on most of the time. I've driven an F90 in the snow and with that setup you could easily have the car 20-30 degrees sideways just like with MDM on my F13.

Carlos, do you get Euro or US spec MDM over there?
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4403.50
      10-21-2018, 03:17 PM   #4
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad850csi View Post
Only time you can't have DSC enabled is 2wd mode.

I think that MDM and 4WD Sport would be the setting I'd run the car on most of the time. I've driven an F90 in the snow and with that setup you could easily have the car 20-30 degrees sideways just like with MDM on my F13.

Carlos, do you get Euro or US spec MDM over there?
Euro spec mate, thanks god. The DSC fully on is too intrusive at least in my F06. Although in the F90, the systems do seem a lot more integrated with the traction and power.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:18 PM   #5
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
AWD Sport is available in MDM mode.
Nice, thank you very much. Now I know what will be my M1 and M2 settings LOL.

M1 Efficient, Comfort, Comfort all on
M2 Sport+, Sport+, Sport+ AWD Sport and MDM
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 03:47 PM   #6
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
Nice, thank you very much. Now I know what will be my M1 and M2 settings LOL.

M1 Efficient, Comfort, Comfort all on
M2 Sport+, Sport+, Sport+ AWD Sport and MDM
Actually, I wouldn't do M1 like that. That is the mode when you start the engine. So if your M1 is set to something else, you can engage it by pressing and then if you press M1 again, it will go back to that default of all comfort.

So I use M1 as an in between. Slightly sportier but basically my daily driver mode. Then M2 is like you more sporty with AWD Sport and MDM. Then when I'm on a long trip, I leave it all comfort which is the default when the engine is started. So I basically have 3 modes at the ready.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #7
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I wouldn't do M1 like that. That is the mode when you start the engine. So if your M1 is set to something else, you can engage it by pressing and then if you press M1 again, it will go back to that default of all comfort.

So I use M1 as an in between. Slightly sportier but basically my daily driver mode. Then M2 is like you more sporty with AWD Sport and MDM. Then when I'm on a long trip, I leave it all comfort which is the default when the engine is started. So I basically have 3 modes at the ready.
How does that work? I have a current F06 M6, and when I press the memory preset it stays there. Does it work differently in the F90? For instance if I am the setting in M2, and I press twice does it go to the default Comfort everything?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2018, 11:04 AM   #8
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How does that work? I have a current F06 M6, and when I press the memory preset it stays there. Does it work differently in the F90? For instance if I am the setting in M2, and I press twice does it go to the default Comfort everything?
I'm away from my car, so I'm not sure if it goes back to the last non-memorized configuration or all comfort (the later is the default when I start the engine so it is the majority of the time). But yes, if I activate M1 or M2 and then press that button again, it will take out the M1/M2 indicator on the dash and revert back to the non-memorized setting which is usually all comfort.
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4403.50
      11-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #9
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
I'm away from my car, so I'm not sure if it goes back to the last non-memorized configuration or all comfort (the later is the default when I start the engine so it is the majority of the time). But yes, if I activate M1 or M2 and then press that button again, it will take out the M1/M2 indicator on the dash and revert back to the non-memorized setting which is usually all comfort.
Yep you are right. If you press it all, it goes back to the last unmemorised setting. But I still left M1 in all Comfort, and M2 with All Sport+, MDM and 4WD Sport.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
shahin
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M5 FE,15 M6 GC, 12 M5,06 M5

Quote:
AWD Sport is only available with DSC Off right?
I have specced and I am about to order my brand new M5. This is the only thing I haven't been able to confirm with my dealer.

Regards
Awd and awd sport you can have mdm and full traction off.
In rwd you can only have full traction off.
Appreciate 1
CarlosM4403.50
      11-07-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
tdlondon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 and 2020 X3 M40i

Garage List
1985 BMW M635csi  [0.00]
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:

I agree. I have M2 as Carlos described and M1 in between, Engine sport, transmission on 2 bars, comfort suspension and sport+ steering. The all comfort option is the "default" with no M preset button engaged. At least in my car every time you restart it defaults to all Eco.
1991 Acura NSX Red
1988 BMW M5 E28 (retired)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
fstezaws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 911 S — 2022 X5 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahin View Post
Awd and awd sport you can have mdm and full traction off.
In rwd you can only have full traction off.
4WD = DSC ON, DSC OFF. Can't do MDM in 4WD
4WDS = DSC ON, MDM, DSC OFF.
2WD = DSC OFF only.

This is how my car is enabled, US spec.

Another way of putting it:

DSC ON = 4WD, 4WDS
MDM = 4WDS only
DSC OFF = 4WD, 4WDS, 2WD
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #13
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pet3r View Post
Another way of putting it:
DSC ON = 4WD, 4WDS
MDM = 4WDS only
DSC OFF = 4WD, 4WDS, 2WD
This is slightly off.
DSC On = 4WD only

4WD Sport is not available with traction fully on.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 07:40 AM   #14
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Can you activate AWD Sport in MDM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlondon View Post
Quote:

I agree. I have M2 as Carlos described and M1 in between, Engine sport, transmission on 2 bars, comfort suspension and sport+ steering. The all comfort option is the "default" with no M preset button engaged. At least in my car every time you restart it defaults to all Eco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdlondon View Post
Quote:

My car too...always starts in default eco mode. All my M's with M buttons have always started in default settings.
Appreciate 0