F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F33 on Bilstein B14
GetBMWParts

10-21-2018, 11:00 AM   #1
Styx
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i Convertible

F33 on Bilstein B14

I selected the B14 coilovers for my 2014 convertible. This isn't a build thread but my review a day after install. The instructions that came with the coilovers suck but there are plenty of DIY threads and YouTube videos. As others have said, these won't "slam" your car. As you can see I still have stock wheels and tires and these eliminate most, if not all, of the tires gap. I have them all the way down and there's isn't any rubbing. They feel slightly firmer than stock but not harsh. The cornering is night and day better. They make the heavy convertible feel light and nimble. Crappy iPhone pics...[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i f33

Very nice!! I have the same car, love the drop

Are you getting any noise with these coilovers?

Any issues getting the car aligned to BMW spec? Are you using camber plates or stock hats?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 06:56 AM   #3
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantastic4 View Post
Very nice!! I have the same car, love the drop

Are you getting any noise with these coilovers?

Any issues getting the car aligned to BMW spec? Are you using camber plates or stock hats?
I have no weird noises or clunks.

Currently I'm using stock hats with no compensation for camber. I took it to get aligned but my normal garage didn't think they could get it on their rack without damage. I'm giving another shop a try tomorrow. My gut tells me the front will be ok but the back won't. I'm ballparking about 3 degrees of camber on the back right now. I'm due for new tires soon anyway. If the rear camber is too bad I'll either get new, bigger wheels which will require raising the back, or get adjustable arms to adjust the rear, or both.

You thinking about coils?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Definitely thinking about doing the same setup as you. I'm on h&r super sports with stock sport shocks and ground control plates, but I'm getting allot of clatter noises on small bumps, definitely should have taken the bilstein coilover route from the start.

BTW, do you know how to get to the rear shock top bolts on the f33?

Let me know how the alignment goes.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:10 AM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Great choice selecting B14 coilovers. The rear appears to be a bit low but the final decision rests with you.

Very nice car, by the way.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #6
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Great choice selecting B14 coilovers. The rear appears to be a bit low but the final decision rests with you.

Very nice car, by the way.
Thank you very much. I might end up raising the rear a little at some point.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Definitely thinking about doing the same setup as you. I'm on h&r super sports with stock sport shocks and ground control plates, but I'm getting allot of clatter noises on small bumps, definitely should have taken the bilstein coilover route from the start.

BTW, do you know how to get to the rear shock top bolts on the f33?

Let me know how the alignment goes.
I didn't take the top bolt/nut off while the shock was installed. There's a block in the top of the wheel well with 4 or 6 bolts (I can't remember exactly). I removed those bolts, then took the shock out and removed the block from shock. Make sense?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 08:51 PM   #8
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx View Post
I didn't take the top bolt/nut off while the shock was installed. There's a block in the top of the wheel well with 4 or 6 bolts (I can't remember exactly). I removed those bolts, then took the shock out and removed the block from shock. Make sense?
I know exactly what you mean. So pretty much it can all be done from the bottom in the back.

On a different subject, can you post some pics that show off your trunk spoiler a little better. I have a carbon fiber but thinking about going with a lip that matches the cars paint.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 09:04 PM   #9
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I know exactly what you mean. So pretty much it can all be done from the bottom in the back.

On a different subject, can you post some pics that show off your trunk spoiler a little better. I have a carbon fiber but thinking about going with a lip that matches the cars paint.
Yea, I did it all from underneath.

Here are some spoiler pics. It doesn't fit as well as I'd like but you won't notice the poor fitment unless I point it out.

How do you like your 20's? I'm trying to make the 19 vs 20 decision. Any regrets?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 02:09 AM   #10
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep

I definitely like the 20s, only thing I regret is not getting tires with a little larger profile, so the rim would be better protected. I have no rubbing issues whatsoever and I love the look on 20s. If you live or drive on streets with allot of potholes I would definitely stick with 19s and meaty tires.

The trunk spoiler looks good
Appreciate 1
Styx58.00
      10-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #11
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
I definitely like the 20s, only thing I regret is not getting tires with a little larger profile, so the rim would be better protected. I have no rubbing issues whatsoever and I love the look on 20s. If you live or drive on streets with allot of potholes I would definitely stick with 19s and meaty tires.

The trunk spoiler looks good
What size tires are you running if you don't mind me asking?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

From the pictures (which may be misleading) .... your front looks a little too high or your rears are too low. They may just be sunk and spacers would help. Mine ended up about the same with the B16s, I couldn't get the front low enough ... plus they were just too stiff anyway.

You won't have -3 camber in the back, maybe -2.5 at most and -1 (-0.8) up front. I thought I'd have -2 up front ... not even close. The stock eccentric isn't big enough to get the rear back to square, I'm at -1.2 in the rear, that's as good as we could get keeping both sides even and the toe in spec. I initially told the guy on the phone to SET the rear to -2 (assuming the front was there already) and the understeer was bad as the front was only -0.8

Moving to -1.2 did help a lot actually. 0 in the rear -2 in the front would be great, but the stock arms don't go that far and none of the aftermarket front plates have good reviews. At -0.8F and -1.2R I have to keep the rears stiffer than I'd like to avoid pushing, but it is rotating nicely and not out of control.

It takes a lot of time to get that all sorted .. one year later and I am still tweaking, but getting very close. I need to suck it up and buy the sway bars ... and LSD
Appreciate 2
Styx58.00
      10-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #13
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
What size tires are you running if you don't mind me asking?
235/30/20
275/30/20

I probably could have gone a little wider on the tires, looks like I have the space
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #14
Fantastic4
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuminNuman View Post
From the pictures (which may be misleading) .... your front looks a little too high or your rears are too low. They may just be sunk and spacers would help. Mine ended up about the same with the B16s, I couldn't get the front low enough ... plus they were just too stiff anyway.

You won't have -3 camber in the back, maybe -2.5 at most and -1 (-0.8) up front. I thought I'd have -2 up front ... not even close. The stock eccentric isn't big enough to get the rear back to square, I'm at -1.2 in the rear, that's as good as we could get keeping both sides even and the toe in spec. I initially told the guy on the phone to SET the rear to -2 (assuming the front was there already) and the understeer was bad as the front was only -0.8

Moving to -1.2 did help a lot actually. 0 in the rear -2 in the front would be great, but the stock arms don't go that far and none of the aftermarket front plates have good reviews. At -0.8F and -1.2R I have to keep the rears stiffer than I'd like to avoid pushing, but it is rotating nicely and not out of control.

It takes a lot of time to get that all sorted .. one year later and I am still tweaking, but getting very close. I need to suck it up and buy the sway bars ... and LSD
Will M lower arms help you in the front? I've been reading up on the M arms upgrade, which I believe can add .5 upfront. Looking at ditching the GC plates and going with M arms myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 10:44 AM   #15
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

Not sure about the rear M arms ... but I'd like to run the front M arms but they don't work with the xdrive. There was a certain brand of high quality camber plate (I don't remember the name) the one guy was looking at. It started with a W I think .. he's supposed to report back later with how quiet or noisy they are.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 12:35 AM   #16
Mkswoosh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi tanzanite blue

Garage List
did you have just stock suspension before? trying to figure out how much stiffer they are compared to stock suspensions.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:22 AM   #17
Styx
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkswoosh View Post
did you have just stock suspension before? trying to figure out how much stiffer they are compared to stock suspensions.
Yes, I had stock suspension before. It's noticeably stiffer but not harsh.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 01:53 PM   #18
Styx
Private
Rep

I forgot to post the alignment results. Everything was in spec except rear camber but it's close enough for now. Shopping new rims/tires. When I get those I'll probably raise the rear a little to get rid of some of that camber and match it to the front.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0