Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Advice needed on welding cracked rims, and their longevity??

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-22-2018, 07:48 PM   #1
Johnny_Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335i

Advice needed on welding cracked rims, and their longevity??

I'm looking at a set of M6 Rep rims where one rear is cracked. I know this is a VERY subjective question, however I'd love to know the success people have had and longevity as well with welded rims?? Especially with a 30 series tire on it??

I absolutely love the look of these rims on our cars, and know they don't make them any more, so they are not super easy to find. I just want to make the most educated decision I can, and spend my money wisely so my wife doesn't kick my ass!

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
So there are several points to this, but to sum it up in the first sentence - no, please don't weld the rims in that photo and put them on your car. Why? See below:

1) The typical repairable crack on an alloy rim is 1.5 inches or smaller, located in the middle or back lip, singular in nature, and does not impact structural parts of the wheel in any way. Front cracks, multiple cracks, and large cracks are all unsafe to weld and present a potential safety hazard. I see at least 3 larger cracks in that rim, making it completely unsafe to repair properly.

2) Keep in mind that 80 percent of cracked rims are also bent and should be straightened before repair. So this would be added to the cost.

3) Those are cast aluminum rims. Welding cast aluminum isn't so much welding but brazing on a low temp patch. So the end result is hit or miss, at best.

4) These wheels are Reps (i.e. fancy way of saying fake), so the original quality will be spotty, at best. Repairing a wheel in a suspect fashion that was of already suspect quality is just asking for trouble.

5) Welding a rim as a temporary repair until you are able to replace it? Maybe okay. Welding a rim as a permanent solution? Most likely a poor idea.
      10-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
Joebie
Grandmaster
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M2 6MT

I welded an OEM 17" Volkswagen wheel myself once and it has been fine for like 90k miles. It was only one crack though, not 3. But it looked just like the cracks in your pictures.

It was also very bent in many places and I straightened it with a bottle jack braced against a wood semi-circle cutout placed on the part of the wheel barrel opposite the bend if that makes any sense.

I'd agree that doing this is not ideal, but it did work for me. I ran 225/45/R17 tires on those wheels, the stock size for a 2002 VW Golf.

EDIT: found an old pic lmao, couldnt find pics of the actual weld.

Last edited by Joebie; 10-23-2018 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #4
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

I had one crack on one of my original style 189 rims that I use exclusively for winter.

The crack was in the exact same location and it resembled yours identically.

I had it welded by a rim repair shop and have been using that wheel for the past 3 winter seasons.

Considering you are using a replica wheel that has identical 3 cracks, spaced equally apart from each other, leaves me to think that this wheel has metallurgical issues.
With that said I would suggest that you scrap that wheel.

The repair cost alone would not justify repairing that wheel as the new replica wheel would likely cost roughly the same.
Appreciate 1
Run Silent15127.00
      10-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #5
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf 335 View Post
I had one crack on one of my original style 189 rims that I use exclusively for winter.

The crack was in the exact same location and it resembled yours identically.

I had it welded by a rim repair shop and have been using that wheel for the past 3 winter seasons.

Considering you are using a replica wheel that has identical 3 cracks, spaced equally apart from each other, leaves me to think that this wheel has metallurgical issues.
With that said I would suggest that you scrap that wheel.

The repair cost alone would not justify repairing that wheel as the new replica wheel would likely cost roughly the same.
Same experience here. Had one crack on an OEM wheel. ~$100 later it was good as new and ran for years with absolutely no issue.

But I also echo the above reply...no point in paying all that money to fix that wheel; it's too far gone to make any sense doing so.
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #6
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

I wouldn't be against repairing a crack, I've had cracked wheels repaired with no isues afterwards.

But 3 cracks... this wheel is weak junk. It'll be a waste of time/money to fix, it'll crack again and give you more issues.
Appreciate 3
      10-23-2018, 06:05 PM   #7
Torgus
Slow.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Single Turbo N54 on Meth!

Garage List
2007 BMW E92  [10.00]
2007 BMW E90  [0.00]
2006 BMW E91  [0.00]
Reps are cracked? Par for the course. Very common. If you want it to not happen again spend the money.

I would not buy rims that need to be fixed. If it was so easy the guy selling them would have done it. Buying broken parts rarely ever works out. You usually end up dumping more $$$ than doing it right the 1st time. Same goes for reps imo.

Rolling on knock off rims is like a folex or fake Jordans. You get what you pay for. People can spot knock offs.
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Johnny_Bravo
Rep
Drives: 2011 N55 335i

I really appreciate everyone's advice and opinions very much! I am a really big fan of those style of rims, but hate doing things wrong the first time, or compromising the safety of me or my family if they were with me.

It's such a shame that the factory M6 style rims don't fit our cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
Riceball777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: S2000 618whp/ e90 335i

I have rpf1s in my s2000 that are cut in half and a new barrow is welding to make a custom 17x11.5 rim running a 315/35/17 tires. So I don’t see the problem with welding rims.
      11-07-2018, 07:38 AM   #10
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceball777 View Post
I have rpf1s in my s2000 that are cut in half and a new barrow is welding to make a custom 17x11.5 rim running a 315/35/17 tires. So I don’t see the problem with welding rims.
So just to get this right, you are suggesting that OP should weld those three structural cracks?

What you're doing to your wheels is not that bright of an idea, even though it is a completely different scenario when compared to the original post.

Of course OP can weld those three cracks. But that wheel's structural integrity is already compromised. He will waste money on the repair and they will crack again in another location, causing more headaches and/or safety issues.
Appreciate 3
Run Silent15127.00
Torgus3781.50