F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Courtesy Car Views
Studio RSR

11-01-2018, 11:51 AM   #1
MackM4Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

Courtesy Car Views

So I’ve just got my car back after it having a squeaky fan belt replaced. The guys at my dealership always give me a decent courtesy car when I need one, this was a 340i shadow edition.

I’m sure this is a good car in isolation but coming from an M4 CP into this I cannot believe how much better dynamically the M4 is! In a way I’m glad I’ve been without mine for a couple of days because boy do you realise what a piece of kit it is after driving something else.

First off I thought I was driving an electric car in the 340i 😂 it was so quiet, very refined though and it’s quite quick in isolation. But I felt it was very wobbly a bit like driving a jelly , I appreciate that this is coming from something far more rigid but to be honest the M4 CP felt smoother, to me anyway, I guess it’s how planted it feels.

Now I’m not slating the 340i, just merely expressing my views compared to my own car.

When I picked mine up and got in it, it was like being in something so so different, people who say they aren’t different enough really have no idea!

Anyway I’m like a kid at Christmas having my baby back!!
Appreciate 2
Grant_72020.50
JustChris17487.50
      11-01-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Interesting views. I love my 340i Estate. Shame they don't do an M3 Estate...

Could a big chunk of the dynamic and plantedness shortfall be the wonderful run flat tyres on your loner? Not doubting the chassis refinements. But, the gains reported by the go-flatters are significant.

To be honest, I've accepted my car as a reasonably powerful family wagon rather than a dynamic driving machine.

Enjoy your impractical car. Not that I'm at all jealous!...
      11-01-2018, 12:10 PM   #3
Oceanic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

I had the opposite experience, my 440i GC was in for repair and BMW accident management gave me a M4 Cab for 3 weeks, I didn't like the gearbox it's jerky and clunky, the engine was too frantic and the ride was awful, it did handle a lot better for sure though, I was very glad to get back in my 440i, it's a far more refined and relaxing place to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

Which is exactly what a 340i is; a normal 3-series but with a smooth, refined yet punchy engine. Obviously MPPSK addresses the quiet sound aspect!

It's always good to spend time in something else to make you appreciate the merits of your own vehicle, especially if you find your vehicle significantly better than the loan car.

From my own experience, it always felt weird getting into anything else after the Caterham, as everything else out there feels high, slow responding and completely disconnected from the controls and the road surface
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
Which is exactly what a 340i is; a normal 3-series but with a smooth, refined yet punchy engine. Obviously MPPSK addresses the quiet sound aspect!

It's always good to spend time in something else to make you appreciate the merits of your own vehicle, especially if you find your vehicle significantly better than the loan car.

From my own experience, it always felt weird getting into anything else after the Caterham, as everything else out there feels high, slow responding and completely disconnected from the controls and the road surface
Agreed. It's all relative right? The same observations the OP has levied against the 340i are the same as those the 40i guys often state after having had something like a 520d SE on loan

It's annoying when the opposite happens though and you don't want to hand back the loaner!
      11-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #6
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

A 440i drives no better than a 420d. Its just got more power.

I personally dont see the point in splashing out for the most powerful models as the rest of the car cant keep up. Suspension/handling/braking just dont match up very well to 300+ HP
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:14 PM   #7
Ss66
Captain
Rep
Drives: F32 440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroFx View Post

I personally dont see the point in splashing out for the most powerful models as the rest of the car cant keep up. Suspension/handling/braking just dont match up very well to 300+ HP
2008 Toyota Yaris sr
2005 e46 320d. 1996 316i.
Appreciate 2
Quantox308.50
      11-01-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ss66 View Post
Quote:

He's got a point. I wish I'd bought the diesel for the rattles, 4K ear redline

Actually, can't you get the 20d engine in an avensis (pre-owned) these days? Not sure why anyone buys a 4-series. Madness.

To the OP. I've not driven a M4 but that's exactly how I'd imagine it. The M is a re-engineered car, the 40i is a great engine dropped into the standard car. Great in a straight line, plenty of power to set the back end to play, but not comparable with a M.

Having spent a few hours in a loan X3 30d, I know exactly how it feels to jump back into something that's far more dynamically sorted (and with a vastly more refined drivetrain).

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:00 PM   #9
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post

Actually, can't you get the 20d engine in an avensis (pre-owned) these days? Not sure why anyone buys a 4-series. Madness.

To the OP. I've not driven a M4 but that's exactly how I'd imagine it. The M is a re-engineered car, the 40i is a great engine dropped into the standard car. Great in a straight line, plenty of power to set the back end to play, but not comparable with a M.

Having spent a few hours in a loan X3 30d, I know exactly how it feels to jump back into something that's far more dynamically sorted (and with a vastly more refined drivetrain).
Says the man who kept an ugly e90 320d SE for 7 years.

Now your a mortgaged up 440i PCP driver with a budget of 8000 miles per year i bet you are loving life whilst you pretend to be able to afford that rental you can barely drive.

At least the neighbours are fooled ay!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #10
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Your obsession with my keeping a car for a few years is utterly bizarre, never mind the rest of your BS. You really should get yourself checked over.

Appreciate 1
JustChris17487.50
      11-01-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
Vroombimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 435d Gran Coupe

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:13 AM   #12
MackM4Comp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4 Competition Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanic View Post
I had the opposite experience, my 440i GC was in for repair and BMW accident management gave me a M4 Cab for 3 weeks, I didn't like the gearbox it's jerky and clunky, the engine was too frantic and the ride was awful, it did handle a lot better for sure though, I was very glad to get back in my 440i, it's a far more refined and relaxing place to be.
I can see what you mean about the gearbox to be fair, but you get used to it and realise it is a good gearbox, although I accept it’s not the best in a traffic jam 😂

One thing I found really disappointing in the 340i was how sterile it was, soulless, which having had one of the original 335i coupes when they first come out I was surprised at. My 335i had plenty of character, might not have been quite as quick but it was 100 times better to drive. I’d even go as far to say the engine in my 640d,my previous car, had more soul!

Anyway each to their own!!

Last edited by MackM4Comp; 11-02-2018 at 02:53 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #13
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackM4Comp View Post
Quote:
I can see what you mean about the gearbox to be fair, but you get used to it and realise it is a good gearbox, although I accept it’s not the best in a traffic jam 😂

One thing I found really disappointing in the 340i was how sterile it was, soulless, which having had one of the original 335i coupes when they first come out I was surprised at. My 335i had plenty of character, might not have been quite as quick but it was 100 times better to drive. I’d even go far as to say the engine in my 640d my previous car had more soul!

Interesting comments. Possibly coloured by having the M3 as your daily driver?

Do you mean the engine is soulless or the handling? Agree re the handling - everything needs to be in sport mode to get the best out of it. Adaptive suspension is a must have imho.

The engine, definitely not soulless, again in my opinion. The six cylinder diesel I drove last week was my first experience of the breed and, having read so much positive on here, I was surprised by how poorly it compared with the B58. Less power and performance obviously, but more importantly a gritty and unpleasant sound, unwillingness to rev and general lack of (to steal your word) soul if I had a six cylinder diesel I would want the sound proofing to remove any trace of its presence, perhaps the 6-series comes closer to that than the X3.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:07 AM   #14
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

One thing I found really disappointing in the 340i was how sterile it was, soulless, which having had one of the original 335i coupes when they first come out I was surprised at. My 335i had plenty of character, might not have been quite as quick but it was 100 times better to drive. I’d even go as far to say the engine in my 640d,my previous car, had more soul!

Having owned an M135i and considered an M240i (cancelled order) I'm with you on this. The B58 is without a doubt a more effective engine; it was smoother, more powerful, more fuel efficient than the N55 which went before BUT it definitely doesn't have as much character. S58 version will no doubt address that, and it actually makes the X3 M40i, but I felt it was sterile in the M240 when driven back to back with my 35i. Only IMO obviously.
      11-02-2018, 03:28 AM   #15
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Quote:

Says the man who kept an ugly e90 320d SE for 7 years.

Now your a mortgaged up 440i PCP driver with a budget of 8000 miles per year i bet you are loving life whilst you pretend to be able to afford that rental you can barely drive.

At least the neighbours are fooled ay!
Given your attitude I'd say there's a high probability that MashinBenzin has way less to worry about 'mortgaged up' wise than you.
Appreciate 3
Grant_72020.50
rich100874.50
      11-02-2018, 03:29 AM   #16
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I can see what you mean about the gearbox to be fair, but you get used to it and realise it is a good gearbox, although I accept it's not the best in a traffic jam 😂

One thing I found really disappointing in the 340i was how sterile it was, soulless, which having had one of the original 335i coupes when they first come out I was surprised at. My 335i had plenty of character, might not have been quite as quick but it was 100 times better to drive. I'd even go as far to say the engine in my 640d,my previous car, had more soul!

Having owned an M135i and considered an M240i (cancelled order) I'm with you on this. The B58 is without a doubt a more effective engine; it was smoother, more powerful, more fuel efficient than the N55 which went before BUT it definitely doesn't have as much character. S58 version will no doubt address that, and it actually makes the X3 M40i, but I felt it was sterile in the M240 when driven back to back with my 35i. Only IMO obviously.
Really interesting. Have I misunderstood or is the X3 M40i a S58 - I hadn't realised previously that it wasn't a B58?

Never drove a 35i so can't comment on that comparison, it seems entirely possible though and the general way of things, sadly, that character is diluted in every upgrade.

Most seem to think that the MPPSK adds significant character and a lot of people view it as essential. Not a route I have gone down as I like the current blend of 'noise options', but can see why it appeals so much.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:40 AM   #17
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I can see what you mean about the gearbox to be fair, but you get used to it and realise it is a good gearbox, although I accept it's not the best in a traffic jam 😂

One thing I found really disappointing in the 340i was how sterile it was, soulless, which having had one of the original 335i coupes when they first come out I was surprised at. My 335i had plenty of character, might not have been quite as quick but it was 100 times better to drive. I'd even go as far to say the engine in my 640d,my previous car, had more soul!

Really interesting. Have I misunderstood or is the X3 M40i a S58 - I hadn't realised previously that it wasn't a B58?

Never drove a 35i so can't comment on that comparison, it seems entirely possible though and the general way of things, sadly, that character is diluted in every upgrade.

Most seem to think that the MPPSK adds significant character and a lot of people view it as essential. Not a route I have gone down as I like the current blend of 'noise options', but can see why it appeals so much.
Sorry should clarify - the B58 is in the X3 but the next round of M cars are expected to use the S variant of that engine.

It's the installation in the X3 that seems to liberate a bit more character, some have suggested it's a bit of a half way house between 'standard' and MPPSK but it could all come down to engine mapping as they are tuned differently than the other 40i cars. One passed me the other morning on overrun and it did sound great.

Anyway, I'm in a dirty diesel and I would agree with your comments above that the BMW 6 cylinders are good for diesels, but nothing more. It suits the X5 I've currently got but if I was in the market for a 4GC I'd want the 40i in an ideal world.
      11-02-2018, 03:49 AM   #18
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry should clarify - the B58 is in the X3 but the next round of M cars are expected to use the S variant of that engine.

It's the installation in the X3 that seems to liberate a bit more character, some have suggested it's a bit of a half way house between 'standard' and MPPSK but it could all come down to engine mapping as they are tuned differently than the other 40i cars. One passed me the other morning on overrun and it did sound great.

Anyway, I'm in a dirty diesel and I would agree with your comments above that the BMW 6 cylinders are good for diesels, but nothing more. It suits the X5 I've currently got but if I was in the market for a 4GC I'd want the 40i in an ideal world.
One frustrating thing about the 440i is how little of the good sound you hear from the driver's seat vs. outside. De-icing it the past few mornings has reminded me of that. Even opening the window doesn't allow you to really hear the proper exhaust sound.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #19
KCH1984
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

One frustrating thing about the 440i is how little of the good sound you hear from the driver's seat vs. outside. De-icing it the past few mornings has reminded me of that. Even opening the window doesn't allow you to really hear the proper exhaust sound.
It's the opposite for me in the X5 - I'm glad to be on the inside :
      11-02-2018, 03:58 AM   #20
Oceanic
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S5

I agree on the 440i not having much soul, I was always very disappointed with the noise when ringing it out, should have got the MPPK. I always thought my M235i sounded much better although I did have the MPE

It's not even the exhaust noise on the 440i it's just the lack of any interesting sound coming from the engine
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 04:01 AM   #21
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:

A 430d drives no better than a 420d.
A 420d drives no better than a 418d.
You can fit just as many people in a 5 door 1 Series as you can in a 2 door 4 Series.

So by that logic you may just as well buy the lowest spec car that accommodates the number of people you want to carry around. Let's be honest, in the case of a BMW almost anything that has the right number of seats will get you from A to B with a degree of comfort, so we could all save a lot of money.

People assume that you buy a 40i to drive flat out everywhere which is not the case. I count myself as someone who pretty much sticks to the speed limits, however I appreciate acceleration over high speed and the 40i engine gets me to the relevant limit with the least amount of effort and gives a perception, real or not, that it's a relaxing and refined experience. The 20d unit produces more vibration and noise and thus detracts from the driving experience for me.

I do frequent trips from Brighton to Durham and I'll take a 40i over a 20d any day, not because I want to get there any faster but because I want to get there feeling more relaxed.

...and much as I love the idea of an M3 or M4, I just know that 300+ mile journeys with that harder suspension and increased exhaust note will be more wearing. If I wanted a track tool then it would be a different matter

Enjoy what you've got rather than trying to convince those who are enjoying what they've got that they made the wrong choice

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 6
Ss66346.00
mcoops1757.00
RustyBitz1573.50
rich100874.50
      11-02-2018, 04:08 AM   #22
nascot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post

I do frequent trips from Brighton to Durham and I'll take a 40i over a 20d any day, not because I want to get there any faster but because I want to get there feeling more relaxed.

...and much as I love the idea of an M3 or M4, I just know that 300+ mile journeys with that harder suspension and increased exhaust note will be more wearing. If I wanted a track tool then it would be a different matter
With you on that. I would love to step up to an M car, but as a long distance or daily drive? Not so sure. Fantastic cars no doubt, some of the best that money can buy. If I had deep pockets I'd have one for fun to go alongside a daily drive.
Appreciate 0