F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Baby/child swivel car seat recommendations.
Extreme Powerhouse

11-04-2018, 11:29 AM   #1
Malone
Captain
Rep
Drives: 340i Touring Shadow Ed. MPPSK

Baby/child swivel car seat recommendations.

Hi all - as above - any recommendations for a swivel 0+/1 child car seat that fits the F31 nicely?

Bought the Joie 360 today on a recommendation from someonewho has one in a Qashqai, but it’s going straight back tomorrow - Although the seat itself fitted (and I did check the fitting list before buying!), it’s so tight when in rear facing position, that I couldn’t imagine a child older than about 4 months being able to fit in it and have any leg room (plus it seems really flimsy!).

Looking at the Britax Romer Dualfix now, or possibly the Maxi-Cosi Assixfix - but it seems as though as with pushchairs etc, trying to find somewhere that has these in stock to actually look at is almost impossible.

Sorry it’s not a particularly exciting thread!!.

Last edited by Malone; 11-05-2018 at 12:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 12:52 PM   #2
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

I think the 3 series is pretty rubbish when it comes to child seats full stop. I've got a Isofix Recaro for my 4 year old that is a pain in the backside to get the belt clipped in as the bit the belt clips in to is tucked in almost under the seat. I also have a cheaper non-Isofix seat that my 7 year old has to physically push the seat toward the door so he can get the belt in. Very very impractical and it feels that child seats were an after thought. I know it doesn't help your question specifically but hopefully it might help you understand that the 3 series isn't a very good design for child seats and you may find it difficult to find your perfect fit.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-04-2018, 12:54 PM   #3
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

We had the maxi cosy axis one in the wife's suv. The swivel function is great. Its a beast of a seat so bear that I mind if you will be car swapping regularly with it.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-04-2018, 12:58 PM   #4
richatha
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 340i

Surely BMW have some they would be willing to sell that probably got perfectly but for double the price. I can't help but I didn't remember seeing another similar post on here so may be worth searching back a bit.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #5
r654321
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 2015 335d xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
I think the 3 series is pretty rubbish when it comes to child seats full stop. I've got a Isofix Recaro for my 4 year old that is a pain in the backside to get the belt clipped in as the bit the belt clips in to is tucked in almost under the seat. I also have a cheaper non-Isofix seat that my 7 year old has to physically push the seat toward the door so he can get the belt in. Very very impractical and it feels that child seats were an after thought. I know it doesn't help your question specifically but hopefully it might help you understand that the 3 series isn't a very good design for child seats and you may find it difficult to find your perfect fit.
We are now running maxi cosi rodifix seats in both cars now and I agree getting the belt buckled in is a real pain in the 3.

We have resorted to going in through the door on the other side as it's just easier all round!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2018, 01:50 PM   #6
Scottiedog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 435d GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malone View Post
Hi all - as above - any recommendations for a swivel 0+/1 child car seat that fits the F31 nicely?

Bought the Joie 360 today on a recommendation from someonewho has one in a Qashqai, but it’s going straight back tomorrow - Although the seat itself fitted (and I did check the fitting list before buying!), it’s so tight when in rear facing position, that I could imagine a child older than about 4 months being able to fit in it and have any leg room (plus it seems really flimsy!).

Looking at the Britax Romer Dualfix now, or possibly the Maxi-Cosi Assixfix - but it seems as though as with pushchairs etc, trying to find somewhere that has these in stock to actually look at is almost impossible.

Sorry it’s not a particularly exciting thread!!.
Iv got the joie 360 in my F36 and don't have any issues with. My daughter is 1 now and yes her feet just touch the seat back but so what, she's a baby and they are bendy and flexible and she's quite happy in it. She'll be facing forward in the not to distant future so I really can't see what your issue is?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 01:57 AM   #7
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

We had 2 of the Dualfix, one in each car (f31 and Octavia) it was great.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-05-2018, 03:04 AM   #8
Rich9600
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i4 M50

Why swivel?

I personally think an isofix base fixed in the car and a baby seat to lift out is easier with a baby.

If we were using the seat with the pram base for a quick trip it's a doddle. Just clicked into our Bugaboo. But, if you are out for longer, it's easy to set up the pram, lift out and set the baby seat into the F31 open boot and transfer to the pram... This worked for us.

We're using Maxicosi seats from birth until present, 26 months. Once he outgrew the baby seat we moved to the next seat on the same isofix base. 2 Way Pearl now I think.

Our boy is just getting towards the height when he needs to be facing forwards (as per instructions) but fits in ok. His legs are a bit confined while he still travels safely backwards. Seat just lifts out and clicks back in the other way.

The only issue with rear facing seats in an F31 is that you need to keep the passenger seat a little forwards. This is fine if you're not carrying a tall passenger.
      11-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
Malone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottiedog View Post
Iv got the joie 360 in my F36 and don't have any issues with. My daughter is 1 now and yes her feet just touch the seat back but so what, she's a baby and they are bendy and flexible and she's quite happy in it. She'll be facing forward in the not to distant future so I really can't see what your issue is?
As originally mentioned, this is the issue:it’s so tight when in rear facing position, that I couldn’t imagine a child older than about 4 months being able to fit in it and have any leg room (plus it seems really flimsy!).

But good for you. Thanks for the pointless and unhelpful reply.
      11-05-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Malone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Why swivel?

I personally think an isofix base fixed in the car and a baby seat to lift out is easier with a baby.

If we were using the seat with the pram base for a quick trip it's a doddle. Just clicked into our Bugaboo. But, if you are out for longer, it's easy to set up the pram, lift out and set the baby seat into the F31 open boot and transfer to the pram... This worked for us.

We're using Maxicosi seats from birth until present, 26 months. Once he outgrew the baby seat we moved to the next seat on the same isofix base. 2 Way Pearl now I think.

Our boy is just getting towards the height when he needs to be facing forwards (as per instructions) but fits in ok. His legs are a bit confined while he still travels safely backwards. Seat just lifts out and clicks back in the other way.

The only issue with rear facing seats in an F31 is that you need to keep the passenger seat a little forwards. This is fine if you're not carrying a tall passenger.
We’ve got a Maxi-Cosi baby seat and the Isofix base, would like to now move to a permenent car seat - why go anything other than a swivel?! It’s there to make life a lot easier!
      11-05-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
As originally mentioned, this is the issue:it’s so tight when in rear facing position, that I couldn’t imagine a child older than about 4 months being able to fit in it and have any leg room (plus it seems really flimsy!).

But good for you. Thanks for the pointless and unhelpful reply.
But he has a child of 1 and doesn't have any issues, not imagined but fact...

Looks pretty helpful to me!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 12:44 PM   #12
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

http://www.madeformums.com/reviews-a.../37648-10.html

As this article points out, I think you'll find rear facing legroom an issue with any of the 360 seats. When I had the F30 we had both my Joie and my sister's Maxi Assi in there and they were both tight tbh. I stuck with the Joie in the end, but if buying again the Maxi feels a better built seat.
      11-05-2018, 05:07 PM   #13
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Baby/child swivel car seat recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r654321 View Post
We are now running maxi cosi rodifix seats in both cars now and I agree getting the belt buckled in is a real pain in the 3.

We have resorted to going in through the door on the other side as it's just easier all round!
Looked at seatbelt extenders?
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #14
meatballs
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

Garage List
My oldest rear facing till he was 4 in a klippan triofix. It's not a rotating thing so not really easy to access but they don't have any issues with legroom... Second has now gone into it at 2. None will look like they give lots of leg room but kids will just bend their legs and be happy.

The main problem with rear facing is you tend to need the front seats quite far forwards so front passenger comfort is compromised.

N.b. if your kids is chunkier they may have to turn round earlier as isofix is something like max 18kg (or 23-seat weight?). That was the main reason we changed to another seat (front facing) as further rear facing requires lots of seatbelt tethers.

Last edited by meatballs; 11-05-2018 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-06-2018, 02:09 AM   #15
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
I thought it was illegal to use them with child seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:19 AM   #16
1 AKY
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F11 530d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 AKY View Post
I thought it was illegal to use them with child seats?
A quick google search:

http://www.securon.co.uk
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 02:55 AM   #17
aquazi
Major
Rep
Drives: 18 M4C

We have a Jane with swivil isofix base.

My little one is 3 now (so forward facing) but expecting baby 2 anytime now.

Dont plan on using 2 child seats in my car... but as a quick test - incase of emergency i tried it in my 4 coupe.... the base fit fine in the seat. Issue though was it couldnt swivel (not that i would) as the centre non seat on my coupe was too high so stopped it.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50
      11-06-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
Malone
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

And we have a 4 month old who didn't have much leg room- I didn't just randomly pick that age from anywhere!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 04:53 PM   #19
tish1610
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xdrive Lci

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post

And we have a 4 month old who didn't have much leg room- I didn't just randomly pick that age from anywhere!!
We have the Joie 360 in my F31 and our little boy has traveled in it since birth , he's now 17 months old and we haven't had any problems.
Yes the front seat has to be slightly forward so the 360 is able to swivel.
As for leg room in my opinion it wouldn't really mater what car it's mounted in as the isofix legs are limited in their extendibility from the seat back ?.

We were so happy with it we bought 2 more one for the wife's car an one for grandad's car!.
Appreciate 1
Malone289.50