BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

07-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe with DCT

Drove my friends S5 today (no regrets picking the M3)

I don't want to put down the S5 in any way. It's a great car with awd to make it useable year-round. They are different in some ways and similar in many ways.

Both M3 and S5 are great.

I picked up my M3 about 33 days ago but due to this or that probably have only driven 23 of those days. Just have 1350 miles on my M3 DCT.

My friend picked up his S5 around the same time but this is the first we got a chance to drive each others cars a bit (~35 minutes).

His car is blue like mine but a different (darker) color, checked the website it’s “deep sea blue” pearl effect. I'd have to say the S5 looks nicer than my car but it's a matter of taste

His S5 with almost every single option (I have 90% M3 options) except he has the 6MT while I have the DCT. He's paid ~$10K less in the ballpark of $59K v $69K. In other words not enough to make a big difference he or I could have got the other car if we had wanted.

We didn’t race or anything just B-roads. Clearly the M3 is the most sporty of the two. I have my car with EDC (set to middle) and everything else set to sport and tranny S5 or D5 all the time.

I don’t believe his car can vary the suspension, throttle or steering. IMO the steering is way too over-boosted for my taste. It’s like you can twirl it with your pinkie. Suspension set more for comfort.

Clearly the M3 has a power edge. Not to say the S5 is slow but it’s not pushing me back in the seat.

Overall the S5 is a great all around car more tilted towards luxury and style than power and performance.

As predicted he liked my car and I liked his car, they are both stand-outs and we both were glad of our respective choice. I prefer the style of the S5 but most other things I prefer the M3.

They do have a great back-up camera which unfortunately the M3 lacks. I could not figure out his MMI or steering-wheel controls much. Mostly got in and drove and tried to figure out while driving but didn't really study the controls but some were not too evident to casual glance.

He has the keyless go but I believe you need to keep the button pressed til the engine fires (unlike the M3 where it will turn off the crank on it’s own).

The S5 you can get a large digi-speed reading on the center of the two gauges (our digi numbers are too small to be worth anything). They have a fiddly push-button e-brake not sure I like that.

Really there is much more I could learn if I had more time.

Dislikes for me were the too thin steering wheel as well as the over assisted steering feel. Also, the power deficit but then it’s not the RS and it does cost $10K less so that’s about what I expect.

I can’t say I likes the real speedo since the numbers are even harder to read than the M3 but the digi speedo makes up for that.

My gosh all I can say is the M3 has to be an amazing car because the S5 is really great and yet I would not give it a second thought if I had to pick cars against the two except for the AWD and a few things here or there the M3 (IMO) is on par or above (but true it’s more costly).

IMO the M3 M-DCT steals the show for me. The S5 had a great MT (maybe better than the M3 6MT) but the DCT is on another planet it’s so good. I guess it’s a matter of taste. The 6MT is good for connection to the car you have to actually do something while driving. But to me the DCT is such a marvel and easily the best $2700 I have spent.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #2
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I love the S5. I think its much better looking that the M3. Interior and exterior of the S5 is amazing.

No way is it close to the M3 performance.

The S5 is more of a GT car, like the 6-series.

I would have no regrets buying an S5.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
ybbiz34
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i M Sport

I've been seeing more and more S5s around and boy they sure are lookers. Catch my attention every time.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #4
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I've been seeing more and more S5s around and boy they sure are lookers. Catch my attention every time.
A good friend of mine has been looking for an S5 for weeks.

He has called over 20 dealers, zero S5 allocations. Each dealer had a waitlist for people who back out.

The earliest he was told, was first quarter next year.

Demand for the S5 is huge, production has been increased.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 11:23 PM   #5
e46e92love
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 ///M3; X3 (wife's)

I will admit that the S5 is GORGEOUS!!! Just saw one last week for the first time in person......love the LED line of lights down where most cars have fog lights, just looks so bad ass when coming towards you in the day with only those lights lit up.....

"...it's not about the money and not about the brand of the car, it's about handling,performance and passion......And that, no other car has all together like an M3........when you talk about the most complete car the M is invincible." --Tony Kanaan.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2008, 11:51 PM   #6
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by rai View Post
I don't want to put down the S5 in any way. It's a great car with awd to make it useable year-round. They are different in some ways and similar in many ways.

Both M3 and S5 are great.

I picked up my M3 about 33 days ago but due to this or that probably have only driven 23 of those days. Just have 1350 miles on my M3 DCT.

My friend picked up his S5 around the same time but this is the first we got a chance to drive each others cars a bit (~35 minutes).

His car is blue like mine but a different (darker) color, checked the website it’s “deep sea blue” pearl effect. I'd have to say the S5 looks nicer than my car but it's a matter of taste

His S5 with almost every single option (I have 90% M3 options) except he has the 6MT while I have the DCT. He's paid ~$10K less in the ballpark of $59K v $69K. In other words not enough to make a big difference he or I could have got the other car if we had wanted.

We didn’t race or anything just B-roads. Clearly the M3 is the most sporty of the two. I have my car with EDC (set to middle) and everything else set to sport and tranny S5 or D5 all the time.

I don’t believe his car can vary the suspension, throttle or steering. IMO the steering is way too over-boosted for my taste. It’s like you can twirl it with your pinkie. Suspension set more for comfort.

Clearly the M3 has a power edge. Not to say the S5 is slow but it’s not pushing me back in the seat.

Overall the S5 is a great all around car more tilted towards luxury and style than power and performance.

As predicted he liked my car and I liked his car, they are both stand-outs and we both were glad of our respective choice. I prefer the style of the S5 but most other things I prefer the M3.

They do have a great back-up camera which unfortunately the M3 lacks. I could not figure out his MMI or steering-wheel controls much. Mostly got in and drove and tried to figure out while driving but didn't really study the controls but some were not too evident to casual glance.

He has the keyless go but I believe you need to keep the button pressed til the engine fires (unlike the M3 where it will turn off the crank on it’s own).

The S5 you can get a large digi-speed reading on the center of the two gauges (our digi numbers are too small to be worth anything). They have a fiddly push-button e-brake not sure I like that.

Really there is much more I could learn if I had more time.

Dislikes for me were the too thin steering wheel as well as the over assisted steering feel. Also, the power deficit but then it’s not the RS and it does cost $10K less so that’s about what I expect.

I can’t say I likes the real speedo since the numbers are even harder to read than the M3 but the digi speedo makes up for that.

My gosh all I can say is the M3 has to be an amazing car because the S5 is really great and yet I would not give it a second thought if I had to pick cars against the two except for the AWD and a few things here or there the M3 (IMO) is on par or above (but true it’s more costly).

IMO the M3 M-DCT steals the show for me. The S5 had a great MT (maybe better than the M3 6MT) but the DCT is on another planet it’s so good. I guess it’s a matter of taste. The 6MT is good for connection to the car you have to actually do something while driving. But to me the DCT is such a marvel and easily the best $2700 I have spent.
great write-up, thanks a lot. i really wanted to test drive a s5 prior to putting money down on my M3, but couldn't find a dealership with one. your feedback really helps a lot!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:17 AM   #7
nMd
Chick
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJetE90 View Post

He has called over 20 dealers, zero S5 allocations. Each dealer had a waitlist for people who back out.

Thats weird, I went to test drive an s5 back in jan/feb before I put a deposit down on the M3.... The salesguy kept calling me every week letting me know that there was a few s5 sitting on the lot If I wanted to take one, seemed like there was little demand to me. Idk might just have been my area.

I might have gotten the s5..but it just looked too manly for me, the M3 has much cleaner/classier lines. The interior was nice, but there were so many buttons it was a little overwhelming and the ride was nice, but a little too disconnected for my taste. All in all it was a really nice car, just not the car for me.

my photography
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
M3aHOLIC84
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 Laguna Seca Blue M3

I showed my interest in the S5 to a few dealers and both the speed gallery and santa monica audi both were asking between 1275 to 1425. I simply told them to f*ck off. Thats just a ridiculous premium
      07-09-2008, 12:39 AM   #9
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3aHOLIC84 View Post
I showed my interest in the S5 to a few dealers and both the speed gallery and santa monica audi both were asking between 1275 to 1425. I simply told them to f*ck off. Thats just a ridiculous premium
Do you mean 1,275 and 1,425 or 12,750 and 14,250?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:54 AM   #10
Sovereignty
sovereignty
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 ///M 6MT

I always have a respect for Audi, in fact I was an Audi person before owning my M3.
however, I love Audi and their styling specially the RS4. But still they cant compete with BMW M performance !
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 12:59 AM   #11
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
nice write up thanks

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
A good write up. The S5 has the better looks both inside and out but I personally prefer the seats in the UK M3.

The steering is light but with time you do get use to it and the brakes are a bit sharp but again familiarity improves their use. The only thing I really didn't like about the S5 was the clutch, it's biggest failing in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
hellrotm
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nMd View Post
Thats weird, I went to test drive an s5 back in jan/feb before I put a deposit down on the M3.... The salesguy kept calling me every week letting me know that there was a few s5 sitting on the lot If I wanted to take one, seemed like there was little demand to me. Idk might just have been my area.
It is driving him almost crazy trying to find an allocation. He has called so many dealers it is crazy. He has been on every Audi forum known to man, asking how to get one. No one could help. He couldn't even find one to test drive. He found one to sit in, but it was a customer ordered car. They wouldn't let him drive it. Most dealers told him they get 20 A5/S5 allocations, three of which are S5's. So that doesn't leave many to be had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
A good write up. The S5 has the better looks both inside and out but I personally prefer the seats in the UK M3.

The steering is light but with time you do get use to it and the brakes are a bit sharp but again familiarity improves their use. The only thing I really didn't like about the S5 was the clutch, it's biggest failing in my opinion.
For some reason I wouldn't get the S5 in manual. I don't really classify it as a sports car. It is more of a GT, tiptronic would be my choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 03:37 AM   #14
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
For some reason I wouldn't get the S5 in manual. I don't really classify it as a sports car. It is more of a GT, tiptronic would be my choice.
When it gets DSG then will be the time to consider the S5, with that gearbox it will have the best of both worlds, be super quick (REALLY) and allow it to fall into the GT role that much better.

Though it is more of a GT than the M3 and it's logical rival is the 335i, it's looks, class and image place it between the two and in my opinion justifies it price.

P.S.
I does have a classy exhaust note low down, better for cruising the street than the M3 is.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 05:43 AM   #15
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
great write-up, thanks a lot. i really wanted to test drive a s5 prior to putting money down on my M3, but couldn't find a dealership with one. your feedback really helps a lot!
+1....Great write up OP!!
      07-09-2008, 06:36 AM   #16
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Great write-up and comparison. I nearly bought the S5 but am very very pleased with the M3 and glad I made the choice
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 08:05 AM   #17
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
glad to help.

I would just like to say, the S5 is really sharp looking and the stock wheels 19" are very nice looking. The interior is very nice probably nicer than the M3.

In the real world S5 performance is fine. It's got some balls, not blazing fast but not slow either.

Likely the performance of a S5 is similar to a 335i and it feels softly sprung. Not too soft but on the softer side of comfort setting (of the M3).

for winter/ice/snow/rain the S5 will be the cats meow but rest of the time (80% of the year) the M3 would be more fun and exciting to me. But if anyone doesn't care so much for harsh-luxury/sports and wants more-luxury/less-sports the S5 would be great.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 08:20 AM   #18
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

I like the S5 interior better--it doesn't take much to beat the E9X interior unfortunately--but I don't think the car looks good from the outside. They have the proportions wrong IMO. I actually do not like the LEDs at the front in the S5. I realize there is an aftermarket M3 bumber that has them, and they look bad as well. I keep on hearing people's praises for the S5 exhaust, but I haven't heard one in person.
      07-09-2008, 08:23 AM   #19
rai
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
+1....Great write up OP!!
thanks,

One thing I prefer the M3 has the compressed speedo while the S5 has a linear speedo meaning every mark is the same space. Both go up to 200 mph and 330 kph (pointless IMO). the result is 0-80 (in the S5) is similar to 0-60 in the M3 point is the M3 is easier to read more info in the daily driving range. But as I said the S5 had 2-inch digi speedo which makes the circle dial un-important.

End of the day, the S5 is not my cup of tea, but I could love it mainly it does a lot of things well. I think a 335i / 355ix would be an interesting question vs the S5 since then the shoe would be on the other foot with the S5 costing a bit more.

I have not looked into the S5 allocation but my friend told me from his experience they are hard to find ( that could mean a 3 month waiting list?) For me the M3 is surprizing easy to come by. I had 1 month from my ordering to when I got my car. Likely many people would feel better if BMW put the brakes on the M3 production a bit. I mean I don't want to see 5+ M3s sitting on every dealership lot.

For some reason, my friend bought a pre-owned S5, first owner had it for 2-3 months and 3K miles. I would NOT have done that but he's an impulse buyer. He really didn't get much off for it being used he almost paid full price (guess he saved the GG tax). His car looks new but just to me I don't see the point of buying like that if waiting a couple of months could have got a built to order car.

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:46 AM   #20
BRDHNTR
Ground Pilot
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 BMW M3

Garage List
2002 M3  [0.00]
2008 e92 M3  [0.00]
I have never driven the S5, so I can't comment on how it drives. However, I have driven the RS4 on several occasions and have put thousands of miles on an S8, and I must say the differences are dramatic. I came into the M3 scene having driven mostly AWD sports cars, and they give you the sense that nothing throw you off course. I just feels solid, but not as sporty as the M3. For backroads give me the Bimmer every day, but if I could cruise on the highway at 160mph give me the S8 (I think wheelbase has something to do here).

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2008, 09:55 AM   #21
JEllis
Major General
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I have seen the S5 in person a few times now. Along with a few A5's.... they are gorgeous to say the least. The rear quartering view is just awesome and like many mags of said, they almost have a Aston Martin like rear. The front is not as sexy but he overall effect is beautiful. However, I still perfer the spartan sporty looks of the M3.....

Jason
      07-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #22
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:

I dunno about that. I've seen S5's sitting on lots recently.

They are good looking coupes though. Not edgy enough for me (..in terms of performance), but a solid compromise to the ///M.
Appreciate 0