BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis    M550 H&R Springs on F90 M5

11-12-2018, 03:46 AM   #1
mrjayo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

M550 H&R Springs on F90 M5

On the fence of what suspension to get since I want to be lower than the F90 H&R Springs are offering. I know getting coils is the way to go but I can't shell out that kind of money on suspension just yet.

I was curious if anyone has more info on the spring rate for the H&R M550 springs compared to the F90 M5 H&R springs.

Also wanted to know if it's a bouncy ride and if it made a difference in the handling of the car.

Another thing I'm curious about is if anyone has an update for a cage or some sort of protection being made for the oil cooler as I read on another post that it can easily be punctured because of where it's located on the car.

If anybody also has pics of their M5 being lowered if they can post it and say which suspension they are on.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
ChrisG_RBP
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjayo View Post
On the fence of what suspension to get since I want to be lower than the F90 H&R Springs are offering. I know getting coils is the way to go but I can't shell out that kind of money on suspension just yet.

I was curious if anyone has more info on the spring rate for the H&R M550 springs compared to the F90 M5 H&R springs.

Also wanted to know if it's a bouncy ride and if it made a difference in the handling of the car.

Another thing I'm curious about is if anyone has an update for a cage or some sort of protection being made for the oil cooler as I read on another post that it can easily be punctured because of where it's located on the car.

If anybody also has pics of their M5 being lowered if they can post it and say which suspension they are on.

Thanks in advance
I don't know what the spring rate is, but mine is on the M550 springs and it hasn't made the vehicle bouncy. It's noticeably stiffer in anything other than comfort though.
Attached Images

11-13-2018, 08:08 AM   #3
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G09 XM, G05 X5 40, 991.2 T

Quote:

Thanks in advance
Your best bet would be KW HAS.
But the price is not as cheap as H&R Spring.

So far it seems like a lot more M5 guys opted for M550 spring and has no issues. Both ride quality and performance.

Oil cooler protection, based on IND's post, Fall Line is working on it.

Where in Cali are you? Let me know if you need some work done or price quotes.
Active Autowerke • KW • H&R • Ohlins • Remus • and more...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #4
mrjayo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r33_RGSport View Post
Quote:

Thanks in advance
Your best bet would be KW HAS.
But the price is not as cheap as H&R Spring.

So far it seems like a lot more M5 guys opted for M550 spring and has no issues. Both ride quality and performance.

Oil cooler protection, based on IND's post, Fall Line is working on it.

Where in Cali are you? Let me know if you need some work done or price quotes.
I'm considering the HAS I had it on my F80 and I liked it but the front doesn't go as low as I want it to be. I'm located in Los Angeles.
Appreciate 1
esquire477.50
      11-13-2018, 10:56 AM   #5
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm considering the HAS I had it on my F80 and I liked it but the front doesn't go as low as I want it to be. I'm located in Los Angeles.
You are right.
Based on AutoTalent's post on HAS kit, the front is a bit higher than the rear with a max adjustment.
But if you look the car in stock form, the rear is lower than the front by default.
On my G30, I am using custom coilover, with same amount of drop between front and rear, the front is a bit higher than the rear.
I can go more lower in the front, but I don't want to change the original weight ratio which is close to 50/50.
If you like an even gap, so far seems like H&R lowering spring M550iX is your best bet.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
mrjayo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You are right.
Based on AutoTalent's post on HAS kit, the front is a bit higher than the rear with a max adjustment.
But if you look the car in stock form, the rear is lower than the front by default.
On my G30, I am using custom coilover, with same amount of drop between front and rear, the front is a bit higher than the rear.
I can go more lower in the front, but I don't want to change the original weight ratio which is close to 50/50.
If you like an even gap, so far seems like H&R lowering spring M550iX is your best bet.
I think for now that may be my only option if I want a even drop. But then I'm worried about the oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:09 AM   #7
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think for now that may be my only option if I want a even drop. But then I'm worried about the oil cooler.
I don't think it matter. Even in stock height, if you ran into road debris, you hardly can get away.
Unless you have the oil cooler guard to minimize the impact.

I've seen a handyman's ladder fell off the truck bed at the freeway.
Only SUV, Truck, and Busses will be able to run pass that over without any damage.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
One oil cooler instance does not make an issue. There a lot of M5's on the road now and as r33_RGSport stated, if its gonna happen, its going to happen stock or not.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
r33_RGSport12801.50
      11-14-2018, 12:54 AM   #9
mrjayo
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
Quote:
One oil cooler instance does not make an issue. There a lot of M5's on the road now and as r33_RGSport stated, if its gonna happen, its going to happen stock or not.
I agree with both of you guys as I've lowered all my cars but for some reason the oil cooler gets me a little worried. But I should be lowering it within the next week or so anyways.
Appreciate 2
r33_RGSport12801.50
esquire477.50
      11-14-2018, 08:04 AM   #10
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree with both of you guys as I've lowered all my cars but for some reason the oil cooler gets me a little worried. But I should be lowering it within the next week or so anyways.
I'll be swapping Vic55 spring after the Thanksgiving weekend.
I'll post before and after.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 08:10 AM   #11
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Quote:
I'll be doing Vic55 after the Thanksgiving weekend.
That just sounding disgusting.....
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 1
zuschnell553.50
      11-14-2018, 08:15 AM   #12
r33_RGSport
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'll be doing Vic55 after the Thanksgiving weekend.
Corrected.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:00 PM   #13
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
LOL
Hope not