E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Valvetronic Gasket Leaking

11-20-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Cdutch513
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 BMW 328i

Garage List
2010 BMW 328I  [0.00]
Valvetronic Gasket Leaking

I posted about this before and didn't get a good answer. It seems that the gasket is leaking between the actuator and the gasket.
I recently drove to CA from AZ and it leaked like a bi***. Oil was everywhere and constantly burning. I want to check the operation of the PCV system, but not sure exactly what to do. If I suck or blow on the tubing coming out of the valve cover, would that tell me if it's working?
I have a new gasket ready to put on, but I dont want to replace it, if its going to go bad due to excessive pressure in the head.

Tangent question; I have the ESS supercharger and was wondering if that could cause excessive pressure in the head. The BMW service writer told me that could be the problem, but I was confused because the supercharger puts air into the manifold, then into the cylinders, not into the oil system. Unless there was excessive blow by in the cylinders. Im so lost and pissed that my car smokes at every stop light. haha its embarrassing.

This also didn't start happening till I pulled the valve cover to do the eccentric shaft sensor. I replaced all the gaskets again like 2 days later because it started leaking and wasn't sure which gasket was bad. After all the replacements its still leaking.

Also, the leaking seems to be worse with higher RPM. It doesn't leak as much with in town driving, but with highway driving its bad.

Please help me haha. Either help me fix the problem, or how to burn down the car and get paid from insurance. lol
      11-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

It seems to me that your service writer could be correct. Boost pressurizes the manifold which has a PCV pathway back into the valve cover. In theory that could over pressurize the area under the valve cover and cause the weakest link (Valvetronic Motor Gasket) to allow some blowby.

In practice the valvetronic motor gaskets on these cars leak like a b!tch even with zero boost. So it’s likely best to see if some of our brothers with the SC will weigh in on whether they have been experiencing the same issue. I believe the SC only maxes out around 6psi which doesn’t seem like much boost compared to the 20, 30, or more psi turbo guys will push through their manifolds.

Also you should scan down this page and read my “replace valvetronic motor gasket” thread. You’ll likely find some pointers in there to aid in a leak free replacement.
Appreciate 0