E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Aftermarket Down Pipes Void Warranty?

07-11-2008, 12:40 AM   #1
AWE46M3
Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: F82

Aftermarket Down Pipes Void Warranty?

interested in getting some down pipes but i was wondering if it will affect the warranty if i dont remove it before i bring it in for service? im too lazy to install and uninstall if this is the case. can anyone give their two cents?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

it will void warranty on the parts that were removed. Also, if there is an engine malfunction which traces to your DPs...bye bye drivetrain. read the section on warranty voids
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:09 AM   #3
Riss Racing
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 M5/E92 335/HUMMER H2

The following are extracted from a Service Information Bulletin issued to BMW dealerships:
"Warranty does not apply to the following:

Modifications of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, or wind noise.

In addition, the warranty coverage may be null and void in the following situations:

...if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.
In general terms, the BMW Warranty on a component is void due to modification where the modification, alteration or installation of an aftermarket part was directly responsible for the failure.
Installation of an aftermarket part or accessory does not necessarily void the vehicle warranties. The scope of possible alterations is very large and therefore a listing of all situations would be impossible. Common sense must prevail and in a questionable situation the retail center staff should be asked for assistance by calling the Warranty Department....

For example, a vehicle with a modified engine control module still retains all warranties provided and may in fact have additional coverage from the aftermarket supplier. A repair is not covered by BMW warranties if the modification has contributed to or was directly the cause of the failure.

When unknown, modification of a vehicle can complicate troubleshooting and may result in multiple repair attempts. Over the years, BMW NA has been supplied with the VIN numbers of some vehicles which have reportedly been modified...."

Last edited by Riss Racing; 07-11-2008 at 03:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.
What a bunch of stuck up fudge packers.. watch out, BMWNA might be watching at your local track races/ events..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2008, 09:46 PM   #5
MNR0
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i (also own an LS1)

Quote...

For example, a vehicle with a modified engine control module still retains all warranties provided and may in fact have additional coverage from the aftermarket supplier. A repair is not covered by BMW warranties if the modification has contributed to or was directly the cause of the failure.

===============
Stock standard if you ask me. Actually, they are saying if you run a modified DME then warranty will be void only if the warranty repair can be attributable to the modified DME.

Pretty forgiving if you ask me

Do you really think your engine should be covered if you max the boost and the engine blows up?

The mere existence of a modified part will not void warranty - or the aftermarket OEM replacement manufacturers would have no market, and Repco would go out of business.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 04:02 AM   #6
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
This may have been asked and answered, but is there a full copy of said bulletin elsewhere on this site?

Ask the dealer, he will show you. It is nothing new. Just stating the obvious.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #7
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
This might be true, but I will guarantee that if a person takes in their modified car for service, the tech will most likely add in the notes about the different modifications.
There are plenty of things that the dealer can tie aftermarket DPs to the cause of a damaged part--one of the most expensive things on your car being the turbos.
If one of your turbos fails for some reason, the dealer could easily blame the cause on the DPs. BMW could be completely wrong with their assumption, but if you take them to court, who has more money to spend on the lawyers?

I'm stating this because it has been done before.
Do I mod my car? Yes, but I know what could happen to my warranty if I'm not careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riss Racing View Post
The following are extracted from a Service Information Bulletin issued to BMW dealerships:
"Warranty does not apply to the following:

Modifications of the vehicle or installation of any performance accessories or components attached to the vehicle which alters the original engineering and/or operating specifications or which result in damage to other original components, electrical interference, electrical short, radio static, water leaks, or wind noise.

In addition, the warranty coverage may be null and void in the following situations:

...if the vehicle identification number has been altered or cannot be read, if the odometer has been replaced or altered and the true mileage cannot be determined, the vehicle has been declared a total loss or sold for salvage, or if the vehicle has been used in any competitive event.
In general terms, the BMW Warranty on a component is void due to modification where the modification, alteration or installation of an aftermarket part was directly responsible for the failure.
Installation of an aftermarket part or accessory does not necessarily void the vehicle warranties. The scope of possible alterations is very large and therefore a listing of all situations would be impossible. Common sense must prevail and in a questionable situation the retail center staff should be asked for assistance by calling the Warranty Department....

When unknown, modification of a vehicle can complicate troubleshooting and may result in multiple repair attempts. Over the years, BMW NA has been supplied with the VIN numbers of some vehicles which have reportedly been modified...."

Best 60-130-------------9.15 Seconds------------------WWW.MR5RACING.COM
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 11:26 AM   #8
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Oh, I don't disagree. If that's the exact text, I just wanted something to make my case if they give me flack about addressing the wastegate tick with the DPs on.
If you leave your DPs on the car and expect to get your ticking fixed, then I 99% believe that you will get denied.
It doesn't matter if the SIB is out there or not.
They could and most likely will claim that the reason was due to the aftermarket DPs.

Also, they have specific instructions to take off and install stock DPs, and not aftermarket DPs.
Why should BMW pay for the labor to take off an aftermarket product and install the aftermarket product due to a warranty issue? (The DPs need to be taken off to fix the actuator problem)

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 11:28 AM   #9
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdflkijd View Post
What a bunch of stuck up fudge packers.. watch out, BMWNA might be watching at your local track races/ events..
But, admittedly, most people going to the track are going to an HPDE which isn't a competitive event (at least that's my impression), because it is not timed. If you took the car to a SCCA event, I wouldn't reasonably expect them to cover mechanical repairs.

But, I agree, I sure as hell hope they are watching. I heard Mitsu and Subaru did that with the Evo/STI?
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #10
vegasspeed
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6MT coupe Montego Blue

I don't blame BMW for doing this. If I sold cars and people wanted to get warranty work done after messing with the car I would be weary as well. You take a chance when you mess with anything that is engine related no matter how small. BMW's aren't cheap to fix either.

He is right. If the turbos go out for some reason they could use the DP's for a denial.
      07-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #11
lucassilva
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

If you are concerned with warranty, do not get DP...
Unless you are willing to take some risk (like myself).
Also remove it before you go in, it will be easier and easier...
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
I'm glad yours is getting done.
You are very lucky.

I understand that there is an SIB out there. I got mine done under warranty but I put my complete stock exhaust back on #1 to make it easier on them #2 to keep my warranty.

I believe that you aren't reading my posts correctly.
What I'm saying is that BMW could state that the DPs contributed to the problem.
You gambled and won.

My advice is don't take advantage of this.

Quote:
I received a call today. It's getting fixed.

Your first part is contradictory. Given what the red text says, these parts are NOT responsible for the defect. The sheer fact that there's a SIB should support that. Secondly...

...suggests that even with aftermarket parts on, work can proceede. Now, since we don't have the full text of this memo, there may be something missing. You mention they have explicit instructions to replace said parts with OEM ones. Is this in said memo? Can we see the excerpt of that?

I don't understand the last part though. They're removing and replacing a part anyway. What does it matter who's part it is?

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2008, 06:07 PM   #13
Mr. 5
Modder Raider
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2007 e90 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
I don't understand the last part though. They're removing and replacing a part anyway. What does it matter who's part it is?
Let's say that you installed the 3" catted riss racing DPs that barely fit.
You just made the labor harder for the BMW mechanic.

They don't know if the part is harder to install/take off to begin with so most of the time, they won't even perform the work.

Appreciate 0