BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2018, 07:57 PM   #1
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

New Idrive vs Apple CarPlay

After having my GO5 for a week and a half and taking a 400 mile trip I have some observations about the two.

Loving the new Idrive! So many options to interact with it.

Apple Carplay is a disappointment. The only thing I find half way useful is Siri asking to reply to texts which the new Idrive can do as well.

What observations do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 08:30 PM   #2
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

I too love the iDrive system. CarPlay is quite buggy, but when it is working right, it looks great on the X5's big screen, especially when running Google Maps. I have been going back and forth running the phone through iDrive vs. CarPlay.

I am disappointed that the track names don't always come through on iDrive when running the phone through it instead of CarPlay. I'm hoping these bugs will be worked out with software updates.

Attached is a pic of running Google Maps through CarPlay.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Dargo7230.00
      11-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
wjakridgeii
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
I too love the iDrive system. CarPlay is quite buggy, but when it is working right, it looks great on the X5's big screen, especially when running Google Maps. I have been going back and forth running the phone through iDrive vs. CarPlay.

I am disappointed that the track names don't always come through on iDrive when running the phone through it instead of CarPlay. I'm hoping these bugs will be worked out with software updates.

Does the Google Maps give you prompts in the HUD?
Appreciate 1
salfeet84308.00
      11-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #4
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjakridgeii View Post

Does the Google Maps give you prompts in the HUD?
Not that I recall. I'll confirm tomorrow, but pretty sure it doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Buckett76
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i

We've been using CarPlay, seems to work just fine but we only use it for Spotify and Audiobooks. iDrive nav worked great also for the most part, was able to understand and locate full addresses in other states on the first try, but the timing of arrival is always way off at the start. It way overestimates travel time. I had an old Audi that did the same thing and was basically pointless until you were less than 1 hour out. I assume it's an algorithm thing.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #6
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckett76 View Post
We've been using CarPlay, seems to work just fine but we only use it for Spotify and Audiobooks. iDrive nav worked great also for the most part, was able to understand and locate full addresses in other states on the first try, but the timing of arrival is always way off at the start. It way overestimates travel time. I had an old Audi that did the same thing and was basically pointless until you were less than 1 hour out. I assume it's an algorithm thing.
Seeing as how my speed is displayed in red if I'm even a mile per hour over the speed limit, I'm assuming iDrive navigation's ETA is estimated on the speed limit. Silly BMW.
      11-26-2018, 09:36 PM   #7
Buckett76
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT_X5 View Post
Seeing as how my speed is displayed in red if I'm even a mile per hour over the speed limit, I'm assuming iDrive navigation's ETA is estimated on the speed limit. Silly BMW.
At best, clearly they don't know their customers
Appreciate 1
ILM_X5206.50
      11-27-2018, 03:37 AM   #8
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

LOL. While I agree, I've generally found vehicle navigation systems to make all computations based on speed limits of remaining roads to destination, not how fast or slow you're actually driving. I guess to be fair, even if you're driving 55 on a 45 mph road A, when it tries to figure out how fast you're going to drive after turning onto road B, the best guess it could make is the speed limit of road B.
Appreciate 1
PhatBoyG211.50
      11-28-2018, 01:19 PM   #9
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Quote:
Seeing as how my speed is displayed in red if I'm even a mile per hour over the speed limit
Really? Is this configurable? Sounds like something that would drive me a little barmy.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 08:01 PM   #10
ILM_X5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Quote:
Seeing as how my speed is displayed in red if I'm even a mile per hour over the speed limit
Really? Is this configurable? Sounds like something that would drive me a little barmy.
No. The only HUD driving adjustment is for the shift point indicator when in sport mode. The speed limit thing is annoying as hell, but it has already saved my ass. If it's really that annoying, you can always just turn the HUD off. It still annoys you in the IP display though.
      11-28-2018, 09:58 PM   #11
screamace
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X5M Competition

Garage List
Quote:

Full widescreen CarPlay! Nice! In my G30 CarPlay only takes half of the screen. I use Waze all the time so CarPlay is very useful.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 10:49 PM   #12
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

I get Waze with no trouble but google maps will only show a satellite image and a very slow one at that...my phone google map is set on terrain... anybody have any clues as to why that might be? I can’t find much in the way of settings either....
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #13
X5_CC
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
I get Waze with no trouble but google maps will only show a satellite image and a very slow one at that...my phone google map is set on terrain... anybody have any clues as to why that might be? I can't find much in the way of settings either....
With Google Maps running on CarPlay, just tap on the map on the iDrive screen and click the settings button. Six tiles show up, and one of those toggles the satellite view and regular view.
Appreciate 1
      11-29-2018, 07:44 AM   #14
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
With Google Maps running on CarPlay, just tap on the map on the iDrive screen and click the settings button. Six tiles show up, and one of those toggles the satellite view and regular view.
CC, I had done that but wasn’t getting a regular map, just the satellite, but I just went out and turned it on and for the first time I had a map! ...without doing anything! Anyway, thank you for your response!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #15
Xeno
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 M Sport 5.0i

Is there a shortcut to toggle between CarPlay and iDrive 7? This morning I tried “Hey BMW, CarPlay” and that failed to execute anything. I also went to the settings screen and tried to save that page as a “favorite” but that did not work.

So what am I missing so I can toggle on the fly while driving?

On a related front, when running iDrive 7 rather than CarPlay what happens when I have Waze going on my iPhone in the charging cradle? In other words, do I still audio warnings about police, accidents, radar hazards, etc?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:26 AM   #16
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
Is there a shortcut to toggle between CarPlay and iDrive 7? This morning I tried “Hey BMW, CarPlay” and that failed to execute anything. I also went to the settings screen and tried to save that page as a “favorite” but that did not work.

On a related front, when running iDrive 7 rather than CarPlay what happens when I have Waze going on my iPhone in the charging cradle? In other words, do I still audio warnings about police, accidents, radar hazards, etc?
I just say “apple car play” and it brings up the car play menu on mine. Then it says to select things manually.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:31 AM   #17
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herdalum View Post
I just say “apple car play” and it brings up the car play menu on mine. Then it says to select things manually.
Okay, will try those string of words. I am at a tint shop at the moment but will be driving in maybe 2 hours or so.

What things must be selected manually?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:48 AM   #18
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
NOt sure if this helps, but if we're talking about the same thing, this can be configured. You can remove the speed limit icon, change whether it turns red on going over the speed limit, or make it so it only warns when you've excessively exceeded the limit:

"CAR"
"Settings"
"Driver Assistance"
"Driving"
"Speed Limit Assistant"
Select desired setting:
"Warn when speeding": activating/deactivating the flashing of the Speed Limit Info display in the instrument cluster and Head-up Display when the currently valid speed limit is exceeded.

"Excess speed display": the speed limit that is detected by the Speed Limit Info is displayed with a marking in the speedometer in the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #19
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Okay, will try those string of words. I am at a tint shop at the moment but will be driving in maybe 2 hours or so.

What things must be selected manually?
You just manually select Waze, google maps, etc. Just use the touch screen.
Appreciate 1
Xeno313.00
      12-20-2018, 10:03 AM   #20
Tlon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

My read is that there are basically two options:

1. iDrive alone
2. Carplay plus limited iDrive

1. With iDrive alone, all Hey BMW works, you're using iDrive nav, comms, etc. For the most part it seems to work great with the following exceptions:
- doesn't load playlists on an iPhone
- no apps for Pandora, Audible (but if they are playing on the phone, they seem to work...and then seem to screw up the ability to look at any music on the phone...it's buggy)
Using iDrive alone would be my preferred solution, if I could still access all my music, Pandora, etc. from my phone. It'd be even better if it was over WiFi and not Bluetooth.

2. If you set your phone to Carplay, you can still access some limited iDrive features, maybe only the Nav and settings.

You can switch back and forth multiple ways. For example, there is an icon at the top of the iDrive screen for CarPlay that you can hit to go back into CarPlay. You can then go back to iDrive by hitting the home button. Another is selecting the Comm button, takes you to the CarPlay phone app, etc.

But, setting your phone to CarPlay seems to eliminate a lot of what "Hey BMW" can do (Hey BMW, call home" for example), which is frustrating. To reenable those features, you need to go back into the mobile device and set the device to use iDrive rather than CarPlay, but my experience is that changing them on the fly is buggy and you lose some access to phone features when you go back to iDrive from CarPlay. In case it helps, I imagine you can set one of the programmable buttons to change whether CarPlay or iDrive alone is chosen

Personally, I find CarPlay to be cartoonish and a silly overlay in what is an otherwise beautiful interface. And, who wants to pay extra for it after a year?

Wish BMW would just invest in continually making iDrive more feature rich and eliminate CarPlay altogether
Appreciate 2
Xeno313.00
      12-20-2018, 10:33 AM   #21
Xeno
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post

1. iDrive alone

1. With iDrive alone, all Hey BMW works, you're using iDrive nav, comms, etc. For the most part it seems to work great with the following exceptions:
- no apps for Pandora, Audible (but if they are playing on the phone, they seem to work...and then seem to screw up the ability to look at any music on the phone...it's buggy)
Using iDrive alone would be my preferred solution, if I could still access all my music, Pandora, etc. from my phone. It'd be even better if it was over WiFi and not Bluetooth.

2. If you set your phone to Carplay, you can still access some limited iDrive features, maybe only the Nav and settings.

You can switch back and forth multiple ways. For example, there is an icon at the top of the iDrive screen for CarPlay that you can hit to go back into CarPlay. You can then go back to iDrive by hitting the home button. Another is selecting the Comm button, takes you to the CarPlay phone app, etc.

But, setting your phone to CarPlay seems to eliminate a lot of what "Hey BMW" can do (Hey BMW, call home" for example), which is frustrating. To reenable those features, you need to go back into the mobile device and set the device to use iDrive rather than CarPlay, but my experience is that changing them on the fly is buggy and you lose some access to phone features when you go back to iDrive from CarPlay. In case it helps, I imagine you can set one of the programmable buttons to change whether CarPlay or iDrive alone is chosen

Personally, I find CarPlay to be cartoonish and a silly overlay in what is an otherwise beautiful interface. And, who wants to pay extra for it after a year?

Wish BMW would just invest in continually making iDrive more feature rich and eliminate CarPlay altogether
Thanks. I do know how to ‘bounce’ back and forth but that is CarPlay mode with limited iDrive.

My memory is that CarPlay takes over media, phone, and navigation. My list is home, I think.

What you call programmable buttons is what I called favorites and that failed this morning. I already have phone numbers, radio stations, and nav destinations but I wanted to go straight to that specific settings like we could do with the F15.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #22
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlon View Post
Quote:
Is there a shortcut to toggle between CarPlay and iDrive 7? This morning I tried "Hey BMW, CarPlay" and that failed to execute anything. I also went to the settings screen and tried to save that page as a "favorite" but that did not work.

1. iDrive alone

So is it a no no on apps showing up on idrive like the old idrive system used to do? I had a 2016 X5M and when I connected my phone to the car using the usb cable and opened the connected app on my phone, apps like pandora and tunein radio used to show up on my car's screen.

Anybody heard of this feature coming back in the future?
Appreciate 0