BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > PCV delete vs Oil catch can...

12-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
S55bruh
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

PCV delete vs Oil catch can...

Anyone have thoughts on which would be better?

What would pros and cons of each method be?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 11:32 AM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

I'm under the impression that the PCV is built into the cam cover. So how does either of these options work?

Also, given that the crankcase is designed to run at slightly below atmospheric pressure, what are the problems associated with increasing the pressure in the crankcase?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #3
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

I have a Mann provent 200 but it's really only meant for low output turbo diesel around 300hp. The next size up is 400 and it's the size of a bathroom trashcan..
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 11:34 PM   #4
S55bruh
Private
Rep
Drives: Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
I'm under the impression that the PCV is built into the cam cover. So how does either of these options work?

Also, given that the crankcase is designed to run at slightly below atmospheric pressure, what are the problems associated with increasing the pressure in the crankcase?
I should’ve worded it differently. I don’t mean delete the PCV system entirely, just vent the PCV to atmosphere via filter instead of plumbing it back into the intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
Proctor750
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30 M3

s55 is direct injected so lack of fuel to back of valves can get gunky after while especially with the pcv pooping into the intake.
The cdi common rail cars had similar issue with intake gunk but due to egr dumping soot combined with pcv crapping oil vapor. Catch can should help along with reaming the car and avoiding short trips which don't allow car up to temp.

What catch can are you looking to get?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2018, 02:42 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

In terms of your question op, I would get a catch can. An atmospheric vented pcv system would cause a few issues:
1) if you're in the USA you won't pass carb or any emissions testing.
2) you'll probably have grease stains under the hood which is annoying imo.

Imo I prefer catch cans, or if you must run a catch can but don't have to connected to the intake and have the outlet on the can vent externally. But in this situation you may as well have it connected, unless you don't want to take any chances of oil sucked into the engine.

Note you'll get a check engine light venting externally because these new motors monitor vacuum. Also there is a train of thought that having vacuum is good got the crank case and piston rings.
Appreciate 0