E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Overboosting

07-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #1
vbmw335
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Overboosting

My car has been overboosting for the last few days even without the procede on. I took it into BMW with just the catless dp's on. they came up with two theories, neither make sense to me...wanted your input.

1st theory: the catless Dp's dont produce enough back pressure and its causing the turbos to over boost.

(doesnt make sense to me, wouldnt the waste gate control the overboost?)

2nd theory: One of the O2 sensors are either failed or not installed correctly causing the car to read the A/F mixture incorrectly and causing over boost.

In anycase the tech seemed less then thrilled to work on my car and told me to return everything back to stock and they charged $125 just to tell me that!

Please advise.

Thanks
BMW X5 4.8 is
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 12:52 AM   #2
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Wow. That takes balls to go in with mods considering the stance that BMW has taken regarding mods of any kind, much less powertrain mods!!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

They did you a favor incase you missed that. They could have flagged you instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbmw335 View Post
My car has been overboosting for the last few days even without the procede on. I took it into BMW with just the catless dp's on. they came up with two theories, neither make sense to me...wanted your input.

1st theory: the catless Dp's dont produce enough back pressure and its causing the turbos to over boost.

(doesnt make sense to me, wouldnt the waste gate control the overboost?)

2nd theory: One of the O2 sensors are either failed or not installed correctly causing the car to read the A/F mixture incorrectly and causing over boost.

In anycase the tech seemed less then thrilled to work on my car and told me to return everything back to stock and they charged $125 just to tell me that!

Please advise.

Thanks
Why would you do that? They could have voided your warranty if they really wanted to. So I say just do like the tech told you to do. He was not amused because you are making his job hard. He is supposed to flag you, but instead he was nice and asked you to take it off. You know they might be right too about what your problem is. I'd take the pipes off and drive for two days and see if the problem is still there. If it is, take it in then.