BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #1
JackJack1
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

ESA Activation (SOS button, ConnectedDrive, etc..) Delay

Hi All-

I just picked up my new X5 yesterday but the SOS button and ConnectedDrive still doesn't work. Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:17 AM   #2
cygnusecks
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJack1 View Post
Hi All-

I just picked up my new X5 yesterday but the SOS button and ConnectedDrive still doesn't work. Has anyone had similar issues?

Thanks
My dealer entered my ESA around 8pm. I didn't see anything in the app or car until the the next day around 10am. So it's not instantaneous. I'd give 24 hours then start calling people..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cygnusecks View Post
My dealer entered my ESA around 8pm. I didn't see anything in the app or car until the the next day around 10am. So it's not instantaneous. I'd give 24 hours then start calling people..
My SOS button works - confirmed during delivery.

My issue is that I can log into ConnectedDrive's website. Can log into the Connected app on my iPhone. Can log in to my profile in my X5. They all see the vehicle/VIN. App cannot communicate with my X5 - to lock/unlock... get location... 3D view, etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #4
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi All-

Thanks
Quote:
Hi All-

Thanks
I have same problems. I called genius yesterday said ESA was set up and had all services activated in connected drive but the program that communicates with car did not have services activated. They put in service ticket with BMW to resolve issue which could take 8 business days
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #5
Refujeet
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Hi All-

Thanks
I'm having the same issue. And the dealer hasn't been helpful at all.

My car keeps saying "no network connection"

Anyone in Canada that has been able to resolve this?
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:23 AM   #6
JackJack1
Rep

It's weird. My SOS button doesn't even attempt to dial out. Nothing.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:42 AM   #7
JLR0523
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

We had the same issue with the SOS button. Also had issue that the vehicle wouldn't connect to my phone. Not even try. And the connected app could not find the vehicle at all. Bmw said everything was active on their end it was something my service guy would need to look into. Yesterday I took our vehicle in to have our winter wheels and tires put on and to check out this problem. It took a few hours, but they did a hard reset of the system. After this, button worked, connected app works w vehicle and my phone synced up w Bluetooth without issue. I'm sorry I don't know the technical details of what they did - but I suggest you get it into dealer to reset. Sorry for the rambling post.
      12-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
JackJack1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLR0523 View Post
We had the same issue with the SOS button. Also had issue that the vehicle wouldn't connect to my phone. Not even try. And the connected app could not find the vehicle at all. Bmw said everything was active on their end it was something my service guy would need to look into. Yesterday I took our vehicle in to have our winter wheels and tires put on and to check out this problem. It took a few hours, but they did a hard reset of the system. After this, button worked, connected app works w vehicle and my phone synced up w Bluetooth without issue. I'm sorry I don't know the technical details of what they did - but I suggest you get it into dealer to reset. Sorry for the rambling post.
I tried the reset where you hold the power button for about 10 seconds and the iDrive reboots, not sure if reset is something different.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #9
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

I'm now having the same problem, my CA tried activating my esa again, was semi-working before then I deactivated it and reactivated it to see if I could see the weather widget and now lost everything, cannot even see any remote options on my connected app...taking in for service Friday
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #10
JackJack1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I'm now having the same problem, my CA tried activating my esa again, was semi-working before then I deactivated it and reactivated it to see if I could see the weather widget and now lost everything, cannot even see any remote options on my connected app...taking in for service Friday
I figured it out with the help of the "BMW Genius" hotline. You have to go into Apps->Press Option->Update Software. Once it updated I re-confirmed the privacy notice and everything started up.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:57 PM   #11
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I figured it out with the help of the "BMW Genius" hotline. You have to go into Apps->Press Option->Update Software. Once it updated I re-confirmed the privacy notice and everything started up.
I've tried that many times, today out of the blue the phone app is working with all the remote options showing but won't communicate with the car, it's like the car is not connecting to bmw services through satellite... ive called and emailed bmw assist 3 times and gotten nowhere... taking it to service tomorrow and won't pick it up till it's fixed
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #12
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Did that also get your SOS call to work?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #13
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliendrive View Post
Also - did you call the Genius phone line and press the option to get help with Connected Drive? They were able to sort out on their end - I was in the same state as you were...

Last edited by lumpydog; 12-27-2018 at 08:03 PM.. Reason: typo - "their" not "there" - damnit
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #14
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
Also - did you call the Genius phone line and press the option to get help with Connected Drive? They were able to sort out on there end - I was in the same state as you were...
Yes I did see earlier post. They said they had to put service ticket in to BMW could take 8 business day and would call me with resolution. That was Saturday still waiting to here.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #15
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes I did see earlier post. They said they had to put service ticket in to BMW could take 8 business day and would call me with resolution. That was Saturday still waiting to here.
Ugh - sorry to hear about that. And, apologies for missing your earlier post and repeating the question. Keep after it. I'll say this - the level of expertise of the phone reps varies broadly. I talked to a Connected phone rep on Monday that told me my account was "locked" and I'd need to call back and ask for a "genius" later in the week (as Geniuses were off/on holiday) - fine. But then she kept me on the phone trying to update my emergency contact info - for 15 minutes - and she couldn't actually figure out how to enter the info - I repeated my wife's name and her cell number 5 times. I gave up.

I called back a few days later and the genius I spoke to knew her shit cold and fixed my situation in under 10 minutes. Connected App running. All other services - golden. By the way, my account was not "locked" - total BS

If you get one that seems clueless, hang up and call back.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #16
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
Ugh - sorry to hear about that. And, apologies for missing your earlier post and repeating the question. Keep after it. I'll say this - the level of expertise of the phone reps varies broadly. I talked to a Connected phone rep on Monday that told me my account was "locked" and I'd need to call back and ask for a "genius" later in the week (as Geniuses were off/on holiday) - fine. But then she kept me on the phone trying to update my emergency contact info - for 15 minutes - and she couldn't actually figure out how to enter the info - I repeated my wife's name and her cell number 5 times. I gave up.

I called back a few days later and the genius I spoke to knew her shit cold and fixed my situation in under 10 minutes. Connected App running. All other services - golden. By the way, my account was not "locked" - total BS

If you get one that seems clueless, hang up and call back.
I've gotten the same "genius" twice and he was clueless what to do. My SOS also doesn't work and can't login to driver profile on car anymore despite putting in correct username and passwd. Phone app started showing all options all of a sudden today after not being able to confirm my car, but won't send any remote commands to car and it shows last updated 12/22... i was hoping for a different genius the second time but the guy was useless.

Taking the car for service tomorrow and won't pick up till they figure this shit out.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
I will say this, given my experiences, I'd stick to the Genius phone number and continue to call back until they resolve your issue. The dealer isn't exactly good at this, they don't know how anything works, and it isn't in their interest to spend their time once you've closed the sale. They don't get paid by BMW for all the legwork until there is a service appointment.

Save the waste of gas, do it yourself via the phone with the Geniuses.
Appreciate 2