BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Finally Picked Up My G05

Hi All,

Just thought I'd share a few quick thoughts after having my G05 for a few days. I'll try to add some comments others haven't already made.

Driving assistance - I love it. Works better than I thought it would. Especially on boring drives up 35W. Wife says makes her sick, but I think it hold well. Turn signal lane change works great.

Radar Cruise - Works well, though I wish it would allow me to get a little closer. Leaves a big gap which people try to pull into which causes it to break. Also when you pass someone and pull into the left lane, if another person is passing as well and is close to you it will suddenly break rather than knowing you pulled into a new lane and doing a gradual balance. Is there a way to just do regular non-radar cruise?

Comfort/Massage seats - Feel very stiff for "comfort" seats. Massage is better than I expected, but would like more cushion the 95% of the time I'm not getting a massage. Would like to be able to move just the headrest forward vs tipping my whole shoulder forward. Maybe I'm missing a lever somewhere. Heating doesn't seem as strong as in my e70. Cooling is a joke.

H/K stereo - Not sure I notice an improvement over the regular.

Cargo area feels very cheap. Especially if you lift the storage cover to get to where the tire is. Walls seem thin like your hand will go through it if you push to hard. My e70 felt more solid.

Connected Car app. 3d/auto start, etc.. Way too cool. Note, don't close out of the app while on the climatize Now or Auto departure screens for the car might auto start when you launch the app. Luckily I heard the car start in the garage.

Back up/parking assist function works really well. So far. haven't tried the find a spot function yet.

Driving - Holding course at high speeds seems to take more attention that in other vehicles. Maybe alignment is off. seems really fast and I've got the 40. Can't imagine how fast the 5.0 must be. I really don't like the super assisted steering at low speeds. I'm not 90 driving a Cadillac (yet).

Soft close doors - Didn't want these but came with package. Don't really notice them. I was expecting some motor noise every time I shut the door. Didn't even think about them until I remember oh yeah.. I should try it.

Heat/cooling cup holders help. though only does the first inch or two of what you put in there, not all the way up the sides.

Acoustic glass. Been a while since I test drove the one without it, but this one seems really quiet. Well worth the $150.

Ride with the 20's seems a little rough. Maybe should have gotten the air suspension. But not bad.

Electronics - I don't really like the nav display on the dashboard. just black and white and with no street labels. Basically pointless. I use the big dash and HUD more. They should have driven an Audi for a few days before designing this. Seems to get confused when both my phone and my wife are in the care. Told it to call my dad and ended up talking to my father-in-law. Wish car play apps were more combined with iDrive. Hate feeling like I have to exit out of one system to use something in the other.

Just my $0.02 for the moment..
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Thanks a lot for a great review!

BMW seats are just "ventilated," and not meant to have any cooling function.

PS. Maybe have dealer check alignment for driving and ride issues that you mentioned.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Great write up!

FYI, do yourself a favor and turn off "Steering Intervention" ASAP on the lane departure. It is worthless and downright dangerous to keep on! We just left the steering wheel vibration on...which is subtle and more than enough.

Going to have our alignment checked as well. I have noticed the car pulling a tad to the right at highway speeds.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #4
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMZ3 View Post
Great write up!
I have noticed the car pulling a tad to the right at highway speeds.
My E70 was delivered with BAD alignment and wheel balance issues. Vehicle shuttered and shook at around 50 mph. Had a disaster of a time getting the dealership to fix and ended up taking it to an NTB to get it roadforce balanced and then aligned. Looks like things haven't changed...

I haven't brought my X5 to the highway yet.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:31 PM   #5
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Great review!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 02:28 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
Connected Car app. 3d/auto start, etc.. Way too cool. Note, don't close out of the app while on the climatize Now or Auto departure screens for the car might auto start when you launch the app. Luckily I heard the car start in the garage.
Well that is a bit concerning if not down right dangerous to just be filling your garage with CO2!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 04:06 PM   #7
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Well that is a bit concerning if not down right dangerous to just be filling your garage with CO2!
Thats a good point. Carbon Monoxide (CO) is deadly. I wonder if the G05 has a CO sensor to shut off the engine if it remote starts in a closed garage?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 06:02 PM   #8
H0fmeister
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Nice review. Just got mine this weekend coming from a 2014 MDX. A lot of great features on this vehicle but I was surprised to see that Acura did a couple of things better. For instance, the lane keeping is much smoother and works as a great aid on long straight drives in the Acura. BMWs version is too jerky even with it turned down. The Acura leather is better as well. The BMW leather seems more like the leatherette I had in a Passat a while back. The automatic climate control in the BMW comes up short too. In the MDX I just set the temperature and let the car adjust everything else...air speed, which vent is used, defrost, it even links to the heated seats. The MDX also keeps the last used driving mode unlike the X5. Eventually, I'll code in some changes but these were a little bit of a let down.

With that said, I still love the thing. It drives great and sounds pretty good too. My wife loves the massaging seats. I can't wait to get past the break-in period to open it up a little bit more.
      12-24-2018, 08:39 PM   #9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0fmeister View Post
Nice review. Just got mine this weekend coming from a 2014 MDX. A lot of great features on this vehicle but I was surprised to see that Acura did a couple of things better. For instance, the lane keeping is much smoother and works as a great aid on long straight drives in the Acura. BMWs version is too jerky even with it turned down. The Acura leather is better as well. The BMW leather seems more like the leatherette I had in a Passat a while back. The automatic climate control in the BMW comes up short too. In the MDX I just set the temperature and let the car adjust everything else...air speed, which vent is used, defrost, it even links to the heated seats. The MDX also keeps the last used driving mode unlike the X5. Eventually, I'll code in some changes but these were a little bit of a let down.

With that said, I still love the thing. It drives great and sounds pretty good too. My wife loves the massaging seats. I can't wait to get past the break-in period to open it up a little bit more.
Spent several hours in a 2014 Acura MDX this week and they’re very nice, agree with your comments... smooth ride. For a cross country trip I might prefer one of those to my G05....might...but they just don’t have the “dynamic prowess” of a good ol’ BMW, imo... seem a little more like a minivan than an SAV...
Appreciate 0