BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-24-2018, 10:45 AM   #1
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Active Driving Assist PRO

I’m very confused. Maybe my expectations were wrong, but I thought the main difference between PRO and Plus was the ability to have extended time with your hands off the wheel. I (supposedly) have PRO (ZDY) but the system starts flashing at me within 5 seconds of taking my hands off the wheel. I can’t find any setting to change this. What am I missing here??

Last edited by heinzena; 12-24-2018 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:23 AM   #2
PhatBoyG
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

Garage List
At what speed?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:53 AM   #3
heinzena
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340xi M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatBoyG View Post
At what speed?
65+
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
I’m very confused. Maybe my expectations were wrong, but I thought the main difference between PRO and Plus was the ability to have extended time with your hands off the wheel. I (supposedly) have PRO (ZDY) but the system starts flashing at me within 5 seconds of taking my hands off the wheel. I can’t find any setting to change this. What am I missing here??
The "extended" hands off, if I understood correctly, is only for certain designated roadways. I thought I read this is an area where BMW is seeking further approvals to expand.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 12:00 PM   #5
ScottMZ3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
65+
The Pro adds "Extended Traffic Jam Assistant for limited access highways". So at higher speeds like 65+ you won't get any extended time from my understanding. Its only at low speeds. I forget the #, someone posted it awhile back. I think its under 35mph or something you can keep your hands off indefinitely...and also ONLY on major highways I believe.

We have the Plus version, and at VERY low speeds like 5-10mph in traffic I'm able to keep my hands off the wheel for about 45 seconds. Above that though and its about 10 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 01:29 PM   #6
mhfrye
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 Xdrive50i (g05)

Hands off driving with Drive Assist Pro is for limited access highways, and only speeds up to 37 mph. Its mainly for stop and go interstate traffic, say during rush hour.
2008 BMW 550i (retired)
1997 BMW Z3 30i V6 (retired)
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 02:53 PM   #7
bladers
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 3 Series

can you make a video of this in rush hour (under 37mph) and how long is the handsfree time?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 08:48 PM   #8
Aliendrive
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i 24 X3 M40i

Garage List
2023 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Tip for unlimited hands free driving is to rest your knee or leg lightly against steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 09:36 PM   #9
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

While I'd like the flexibility to drive hands-free for an extended period, I don't know that I would want to. The X5 gets confused enough that I'd still want to be able to quickly assist it. A few examples where I've seen it consistently confused are as follows:

- when the right lane marker breaks for an exit ramp
- when a lane splits into two or two lanes merge into one (like intermittent passing lanes on two lane highways)
- when pavement joints run parallel to the lane markings but then change direction
- when there are curvy cuts in the pavement (like pavement cuts left from a dragging trailer)

I think German roads are in 5x better condition than a typical Texas road...
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #10
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

I thought the new x5 was ahead of the curve. My wife's 2017 q7 will do hands free for a minute or so at highway speeds. I am beginning to think i am going to be disappointed in the car i have coming compared to the q7.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by magna6882 View Post
I thought the new x5 was ahead of the curve. My wife's 2017 q7 will do hands free for a minute or so at highway speeds. I am beginning to think i am going to be disappointed in the car i have coming compared to the q7.
Not really sure why people want this kind of very limited autonomy. The thing about self driving is that it is in my view an all or nothing proposition. I've had a Volvo XC90 with PAII, and we currently have a 2018 Leaf with ProPilot Assist and a Tesla Model S with Enhanced Autopilot. All of them are so far away from being able to *reliably* drive themselves, and in Tesla's case in particular are so divergent in reality from the hype and fantasy that it's anxiety-inducing to let the car have total control. All any of these cars can do is offer fairly finicky and unpredictable advanced cruise control, yet so many seem to want to believe they are more than this.

No-one has even got to Level 3 autonomy in anything but the most limited circumstances in a production vehicle that can actually be bought and driven by a regular consumer. To me the wish to push the limits of these incredibly limited systems is like wanting to take a transatlantic flight in an early 1900s bi-plane.
Xeno315.00
alex23642867.50
Tenac4538.50
      12-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #12
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring335 View Post
Not really sure why people want this kind of very limited autonomy.
Interesting background on the topic. While it is limited, I do find the X5's assistance abilities to be quite helpful on long trips. Especially on the road trip a few weeks ago with very heavy winds, it was nice to have the X5 make corrections for me to stay between the lines. Also during stop-and-go traffic it is very helpful. Flaws and all.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #13
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
No you wont.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #14
magna6882
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 audi q7

Quote:
Not really sure why people want this kind of very limited autonomy. The thing about self driving is that it is in my view an all or nothing proposition. I've had a Volvo XC90 with PAII, and we currently have a 2018 Leaf with ProPilot Assist and a Tesla Model S with Enhanced Autopilot. All of them are so far away from being able to *reliably* drive themselves, and in Tesla's case in particular are so divergent in reality from the hype and fantasy that it's anxiety-inducing to let the car have total control. All any of these cars can do is offer fairly finicky and unpredictable advanced cruise control, yet so many seem to want to believe they are more than this.

No-one has even got to Level 3 autonomy in anything but the most limited circumstances in a production vehicle that can actually be bought and driven by a regular consumer. To me the wish to push the limits of these incredibly limited systems is like wanting to take a transatlantic flight in an early 1900s bi-plane.
Just wanted to clarify. i bought the bmw with expectations it a driving machine but that being said i know technology is a series of small steps and my hope is a car that is two years newer will be two years smarter. The safety features in the audi have worked well. I am getting old and if i back up and dont see something the car needs to stop. When on the freeway and traffic slams to a stop the audi will add more brake if it feels necessary.I dont want the car to drive itself i just want it to protect me from myself.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2018, 11:48 AM   #15
Doc5513
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
Quote:
No you wont.
I drove the new Q7 for a week whilst on a recent vacation. IMHO it is a substandard vehicle in comparison to the X5. You will be happy going to the X5.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2018, 01:54 PM   #16
aspiring335
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 40i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
Quote:
Not really sure why people want this kind of very limited autonomy.
Interesting background on the topic. While it is limited, I do find the X5's assistance abilities to be quite helpful on long trips. Especially on the road trip a few weeks ago with very heavy winds, it was nice to have the X5 make corrections for me to stay between the lines. Also during stop-and-go traffic it is very helpful. Flaws and all.
I agree that these tools are useful. My point is really that they are all just variations and features of advanced cruise control. In that context, they can reduce driving stress. It's when people talk about wanting to keep their hands off the wheel that I get concerned, since *none* of these systems are remotely close to being able to anticipate and deal with all scenarios and road conditions.

Tesla is most at fault here since they've been fraudulently selling a "full self driving" option for years which is pure vapourware.
      12-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #17
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
I agree that these tools are useful. My point is really that they are all just variations and features of advanced cruise control. In that context, they can reduce driving stress. It's when people talk about wanting to keep their hands off the wheel that I get concerned, since *none* of these systems are remotely close to being able to anticipate and deal with all scenarios and road conditions.

Tesla is most at fault here since they've been fraudulently selling a "full self driving" option for years which is pure vapourware.
I totally agree with this, all have really the same stuff to work with, Tesla may do the best job but for sure is way over selling it, obviously with less to loose as a mostly not profitable company trying to take marketshare. Established car companies have much more to loose and especially german car companies have many more regulations to follow, so I think they are likely to do the best job at limiting what is in the realm of safe to do, like limiting speed and time hands off and disengaging when confused - Tesla would rather drive you into a concrete barrier.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #18
Westsider45
draught tolerant
Rep
Drives: '17 C63 sedan

Quote:

The Hyundai/Kia systems (I have a 2020 Telluride; the same system is available on the 2019 Veloster Turbo Ultimate and Genesis G70) are the best I've driven.
'07 G35 sedan Sport 6MT - tail happy
'94 del Sol Si 5MT - sweet shifter
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 04:39 PM   #19
edtreo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i MSport

Quote:
Just wanted to clarify. i bought the bmw with expectations it a driving machine but that being said i know technology is a series of small steps and my hope is a car that is two years newer will be two years smarter. The safety features in the audi have worked well. I am getting old and if i back up and dont see something the car needs to stop. When on the freeway and traffic slams to a stop the audi will add more brake if it feels necessary.I dont want the car to drive itself i just want it to protect me from myself.
With G05 you would want the car to drive itself. I crave for traffic. It's that good.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:09 PM   #20
mrichione
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Here's a demo video I made a few months ago:

You need to be in a traffic jam recognized by the sat nav system on a "limited access" highway (think interstates with limited on/off ramps), traveling under 40 MPH. When the systems detects those functional criteria are met, a notification pops up on the iDrive head unit, the HUD, and the digital cockpit, alerting you that Assisted Driving Plus is available. Click the MODE button on the steering wheel and ADP will activate; the status LED's on the steering wheel will turn solid green and you can remove your hands from the wheel indefinitely while those criteria all remain. The infrared camera near the digital cockpit monitors your eyes to make sure they remain fixated on the road ahead (polarized lenses on sunglasses might interfere with the camera, FYI).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #21
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
From my experience in a Q7, any of these systems, even perfected, are no match for the highway system, at least in the US. Many of the even major Interstate systems are 1950s/60s vintage, missing side or center lines, worn shoulders, missing or worn signage, constantly and unpredictably under construction. There's just no way any autonomous system could accommodate all the variables present even for a few miles on these roads, and city/country roads are even worse. And it will take decades, not years, to get even close to a uniform repair of the basic infrastructure so a camera or radar-based vehicle could predictably even stay within the lanes for an extended driving period.

"Driver assistance" systems are very aptly named, for without the human pilot's intervention, every one of the cars manufactured today and in the near future would careen off the highway or into other traffic within an hour without correction.

Last edited by Paladin1; 08-01-2019 at 10:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 07:04 AM   #22
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin1 View Post
From my experience in a Q7, any of these systems, even perfected, are no match for the highway system, at least in the US. Many of the even major Interstate systems are 1950s/60s vintage, missing side or center lines, worn shoulders, missing or worn signage, constantly and unpredictably under construction. There's just no way any autonomous system could accommodate all the variables present even for a few miles on these roads, and city/country roads are even worse. And it will take decades, not years, to get even close to a uniform repair of the basic infrastructure so a camera or radar-based vehicle could predictably even stay within the lanes for an extended driving period.

"Driver assistance" systems are very aptly named, for without the human pilot's intervention, every one of the cars manufactured today and in the near future would careen off the highway or into other traffic within an hour without correction.
Agreed. My wife has a 2018 GTi with lane assist or whatever VW calls it, it works quite well going straight, around corners, you name it...PROVIDED, as Paladin1 rightly pointed out, you have proper lane lines and are not in a construction zone and not in an ex-construction zone where they partially removed the white lines and repainted new temp ones and then when the construction finished they partially removed the new temp ones....screws the car up and yanks the wheel to the left or right so you better be hanging on to it! :-0

I have since turned it off and now only use it when on the interstate on trips and it works well there but is just an assist, not a replacement for your driving skills.
Appreciate 0