BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-29-2018, 07:45 PM   #1
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

M-Sport Suspension/Performance Difference?

Hi - I am looking at placing an order soon. probably before year-end.

I've read the forum and spoken to the dealer and there's not a clear answer that I can find: what is the difference in the suspension/performance on the M-Sport Package vs. base X5?

- the M-sport includes the Adaptive M Suspension -what exactly is the difference vs. base? Both vehicles have an 'adaptive' mode.

- if you opt for the air suspension (in order to get Adaptive Steering), does this negate any benefit of the above?

thanks for any assistance..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 01:38 AM   #2
2019x5User
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bwm x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Hi - I am looking at placing an order soon. probably before year-end.

I've read the forum and spoken to the dealer and there's not a clear answer that I can find: what is the difference in the suspension/performance on the M-Sport Package vs. base X5?

- the M-sport includes the Adaptive M Suspension -what exactly is the difference vs. base? Both vehicles have an 'adaptive' mode.

- if you opt for the air suspension (in order to get Adaptive Steering), does this negate any benefit of the above?

thanks for any assistance..
https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24049929
Appreciate 1
      12-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for pointing me to that post, I had not seen it. Many posts on this forum have been very helpful in educating me about pricing, options, etc. and I appreciate all of the members here.

In summary:

(1) There's the standard X-Line suspension

(2) M-Sport has:
Quote:
"Adaptive M Suspension (2VF) is now included with M Sport Package for all models. This suspension enhances the standard suspension by providing variable suspension and damping characteristics which can be adjusted through the driving experience control switch."
(3) Comfort Package:
Quote:
This package combines the features of the optional self-levelling two-axle air suspension and the Integral Active Steering for a more comfortable and agile ride. At speeds above 86 mph and in Sport mode, the suspension is automatically lowered by about 0.8 inches, allowing for increased aerodynamics and a more sporty look. Please note, this package cannot be combined with the Dynamic Handling Package, and removes the Adaptive M Suspension that comes standard in the M Sport Package.
So, on option #3 (ZHC), it's $7,150 (ZMP + ZHC). You substitute the two-axle air suspension for the Adaptive M Suspension. Netting out the cost of ZCV (Convenience Package) and Leather Upgrade, reduces by $2,600, to $4,550.

I drove the X-Line and the M-Sport yesterday and I didn't notice much difference. I was able to test on roads with good elevation changes and tight curves. I need to test the M-Sport vs. the ZHC as I'm having a difficult time understanding how ZHC provides both "more comfortable" and "more agile" characteristics.

Further, from that post and a couple others, it seems that some people are saying that ZMP + ZHC is the closest we can get to ZDH on a 40i? So, my test will attempt to see if ZHC helps with roll on corners, which is the only thing I didn't like.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #4
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks for pointing me to that post, I had not seen it. Many posts on this forum have been very helpful in educating me about pricing, options, etc. and I appreciate all of the members here.

In summary:

(1) There's the standard X-Line suspension

(2) M-Sport has:

(3) Comfort Package:

So, on option #3 (ZHC), it's $7,150 (ZMP + ZHC). You substitute the two-axle air suspension for the Adaptive M Suspension. Netting out the cost of ZCV (Convenience Package) and Leather Upgrade, reduces by $2,600, to $4,550.

I drove the X-Line and the M-Sport yesterday and I didn't notice much difference. I was able to test on roads with good elevation changes and tight curves. I need to test the M-Sport vs. the ZHC as I'm having a difficult time understanding how ZHC provides both "more comfortable" and "more agile" characteristics.

Further, from that post and a couple others, it seems that some people are saying that ZMP + ZHC is the closest we can get to ZDH on a 40i? So, my test will attempt to see if ZHC helps with roll on corners, which is the only thing I didn't like.
The standard chassis and suspension on the xLine, the Driving Experience Control does not affect regulation of the Electronic Damper Control (EDC).

Adaptive M Suspension 2VF offers modified suspension and damping characteristics compared to the basic chassis and suspension via the Driving Experience Control.

Influence of the Driving Experience Control on the EDC control:
• COMFORT
• SPORT

The SPORT driving mode offers a much sportier damping characteristic at the expense of driving comfort.

As noted, ZHC replaces 2VF on M Sport with 2-axle air and integral active steering. 2-axle air is "more comfort" and ease of loading where "more agile" handled by IAS.

IAS is operated electromechanically by turning the rear wheels in either the same direction as the front wheels or the opposite direction – depending on the vehicle speed – optimizing cornering agility. IAS also assists in maneuvering into and out of tight parking spots.

Neither will provide electric active roll stabilization front (EARSV) and the electric active roll stabilization rear (EARSH) in the DHC (50i only).

Most members have noted better roll control than prior generation (F15).

Last edited by Auricom; 12-30-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:37 AM   #5
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

What about “Adaptive”? Seems like this is the “go to” if not in “sport” if on a long Trip?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Most members have noted better roll control than prior generation (F15).
Auricom, thanks, those additional details are very helpful! Trying to understand the various components is difficult, so I appreciate your patience!

In your final comment regarding roll control, I think you meant for all suspensions vs the F15, not only ZHC - is that correct?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #7
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Auricom, thanks, those additional details are very helpful! Trying to understand the various components is difficult, so I appreciate your patience!

In your final comment regarding roll control, I think you meant for all suspensions vs the F15, not only ZHC - is that correct?
That's correct, meant all suspensions vs the F15. I've test driven G05 standard, xLine Off-Road, M Sport adaptive and M Sport with ZHC. Haven't come across a 50i with ZDH.

Compared to my xLine F15, there's better roll control in the G05 but not where I would consider flat.

I'm leaning towards M Sport with ZHC not for comfort but for ease of getting in/out, cargo loading and better turning radius - parking in the city is a pain.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
What about “Adaptive”? Seems like this is the “go to” if not in “sport” if on a long Trip?
Mmm hmm, adaptive is the way to go for long trips.

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries, if you want to geek out some more. Here's the G05 powertrain-chasis tech doc.

02_G05 Powertrain-Chassis.pdf

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
I drove the X-Line and the M-Sport yesterday and I didn't notice much difference.
From what I've read (I may be wrong here), unless you change from the M-Sport Suspension's default dampening - using the Driving Experience Control - the Standard X-Line and default setting M-Sport suspension should feel identical. The difference with the M-Sport is the ability to change the dampening. Did you try changing dampening via Driving Experience settings on the M-Sport test drive?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 02:27 PM   #11
BmwGk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:
I drove the X-Line and the M-Sport yesterday and I didn't notice much difference.
From what I've read (I may be wrong here), unless you change from the M-Sport Suspension's default dampening - using the Driving Experience Control - the Standard X-Line and default setting M-Sport suspension should feel identical. The difference with the M-Sport is the ability to change the dampening. Did you try changing dampening via Driving Experience settings on the M-Sport test drive?
Are you referring to Sport "Individual" mode? Where you can separately select between "comfort" and "sport" for each component of the driving experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #12
user12464
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, G80 M3C Xdrive

I'm also consider a G05 40 M-sport with ZHC vs standard M sport suspension. I am currently driving a Macan with Air Susp and PASM (adaptive dampeners with sport setting) and want to get something similar in the G05.

So My understanding based on the tech document and posts on this forum is that:

1) Base suspension (X-line) has steel springs and electronic dampers that adapt to conditions but are not adjustable to a firmer/sportier setting

2) M-Sport standard has the same steel springs and electronic dampers but they dampers are adjustable via a console on the button for a firmer/sportier ride as desired

3) M-Sport with ZHC has air springs as well as electronic dampers that are also adjustable for a firmer/sportier ride. The air springs can also be lowered 0.8 inches for a lower center of gravity and an even sportier ride, and can be optioned with 4-wheel steering for better high and low speed agility.

Of course the 50 can also get DHP with active anti roll bars, but this isn't available on the 40.

So my conclusion is that on the 40, M-Sport with ZHC/air is the preferable option and should handle better than the standard M-sport because of the 4 wheel steering and ability to lower 0.8 inches. Although some might prefer the steel springs on the M-sport as sometimes air susp can feel "floaty" or "disconnected".

Does this sound accurate?
Appreciate 1
Auricom4361.50
      12-30-2018, 04:14 PM   #13
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12464 View Post
I'm also consider a G05 40 M-sport with ZHC vs standard M sport suspension. I am currently driving a Macan with Air Susp and PASM (adaptive dampeners with sport setting) and want to get something similar in the G05.

1) Base suspension (X-line) has steel springs and electronic dampers that adapt to conditions but are not adjustable to a firmer/sportier setting

2) M-Sport standard has the same steel springs and electronic dampers but they dampers are adjustable via a console on the button for a firmer/sportier ride as desired

3) M-Sport with ZHC has air springs as well as electronic dampers that are also adjustable for a firmer/sportier ride. The air springs can also be lowered 0.8 inches for a lower center of gravity and an even sportier ride, and can be optioned with 4-wheel steering for better high and low speed agility.

Of course the 50 can also get DHP with active anti roll bars, but this isn't available on the 40.

So my conclusion is that on the 40, M-Sport with ZHC/air is the preferable option and should handle better than the standard M-sport because of the 4 wheel steering and ability to lower 0.8 inches. Although some might prefer the steel springs on the M-sport as sometimes air susp can feel "floaty" or "disconnected".

Sounds accurate.

I prefer a more sportier suspension and the standard M Sport adaptive M suspension more than adequately suits my everyday driving needs - sporty ride when needed and comfortable for long hauls. Though would ZHC solve issues that I have with my F15 - wide turning radius, high load height and entry (for us short people xD).

Just want to inform individuals optioning ZHC should have the mindset that it isn't the handling cure-all for the lack of ZDH option for 40i.

As the training guide notes:

"The main purpose of the air suspension is to increase driving comfort. The system performs adjustment mainly at standstill, e.g. in order to compensate for a change in height due to the vehicle load. The inertia of the system means that it cannot react to driving dynamics disturbance variables, which may occur when the vehicle is driven quickly on twisting roads."

Last edited by Auricom; 12-30-2018 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #14
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwGk View Post
Are you referring to Sport "Individual" mode? Where you can separately select between "comfort" and "sport" for each component of the driving experience?
Yes - I believe what BMW refers to as "Driving Experience Control" in their tech docs is documented as "Driving Dynamic Control" in our North American Owners Manuals.

The difference between the base X-Line suspension and the M-Sport suspension is the ability to change the damping.

<snip>

Adaptive M Suspension 2VF offers modified suspension and damping characteristics compared to the basic chassis and suspension via the Driving Experience Control.

Influence of the Driving Experience Control on the EDC control:
• COMFORT
• SPORT
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #15
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Sounds accurate.

I prefer a more sportier suspension and the standard M Sport adaptive M suspension more than adequately suits my everyday driving needs - sporty ride when needed and comfortable for long hauls. Though would ZHC solve issues that I have with my F15 - wide turning radius, high load height and entry (for us short people xD).
I ordered M Sport 40i but definitely wanted Integral active steering (IAS) based on my experience in other SUV (Audi Q7) where it makes a huge difference in turning radius.

I would have preferred to have IAS only with M Sport Adaptive M suspension but unfortunately IAS is not feasible without Air Suspension (from any manufacturer that I am aware of).

Keeping my fingers crossed as no one has described experience of Air Suspension equipped M Sport 40i, or compared rides of M Sport 40i with and without Air Suspension.

Hoping someone will, soon!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:26 PM   #16
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post

2VF is completely different suspension and damping then compared to the base steel springs and 2VH (air). The driving experience control is available on 2VF and 2VH.

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed as no one has described experience of Air Suspension equipped M Sport 40i, or compared rides of M Sport 40i with and without Air Suspension.
I compared the 2 setups. If you want a better handling, less body roll, more responsive, sharper steering, etc..get the M adaptive (2VF). I wanted air, but it drives like a boat..too floaty. I tested 2VF with and without IAS..get it with IAS! I also tested 2VF with anti roll bars and it makes things even more better but I opted against it since in Canada, it only comes with the 50i.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:31 PM   #17
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12464 View Post
I am currently driving a Macan with Air Susp and PASM (adaptive dampeners with sport setting) and want to get something similar in the G05.

If your coming from a Macan and not getting 50i with DHP, get 2VF (M adaptive suspension) with IAS on the 40i. Forget air, the X5 handles like a boat even on the lowest height setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #18
paul45
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
If your coming from a Macan and not getting 50i with DHP, get 2VF (M adaptive suspension) with IAS on the 40i. Forget air, the X5 handles like a boat even on the lowest height setting.
Don't think you can get IAS without Air suspension on MSport 40i in US.

I would have loved to order IAS alone on MSport 40i.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #19
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bichoo View Post
2VF is completely different suspension and damping then compared to the base steel springs and 2VH (air). The driving experience control is available on 2VF and 2VH.

I compared the 2 setups. If you want a better handling, less body roll, more responsive, sharper steering, etc..get the M adaptive (2VF). I wanted air, but it drives like a boat..too floaty. I tested 2VF with and without IAS..get it with IAS! I also tested 2VF with anti roll bars and it makes things even more better but I opted against it since in Canada, it only comes with the 50i.
2VF isn't completely different suspension - it's just basic suspension with modified suspension and damping characteristics and adjustable via Driving Experience Control.

They're all using steel spring struts xD

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 8.38.32 PM.png
Views: 6429
Size:  417.6 KB

ZDH is also modified suspension and damping characteristics with electric active roll stabilization, rear axle differential lock and IAS thrown in.

2VH air is only different as it uses air suspension struts. It's only different when you add in 2VH and IAS.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 8.38.04 PM.png
Views: 6609
Size:  395.9 KB

Last edited by Auricom; 12-30-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul45 View Post
Don't think you can get IAS without Air suspension on MSport 40i in US.

I would have loved to order IAS alone on MSport 40i.
Correct, Sir.

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 8.54.59 PM.png
Views: 6445
Size:  35.2 KB

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:09 PM   #21
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Correct, Sir.

Attachment 1963286
Ah, my bad. Different available configurations in US and Canada. I just assumed you could order IAS on 2VF.

ZHC is not available in Canada. We have standard springs and then if you upgrade the suspension set up, you can choose air or M adaptive with our without the M sport package and IAS.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #22
lumpydog
Captain
Rep

Quote:
2VF isn't completely different suspension - it's just basic suspension with modified suspension and damping characteristics and adjustable via Driving Experience Control.

They're all using steel spring struts xD
Bingo. Exactly how I interpreted BMW's content/description.

I'll add - I believe "Driving Experience Control" is discussed in the owner's manual as "Driving Dynamic Control".
Appreciate 0