BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-30-2018, 04:53 PM   #1
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Drivetrain/Transmission issues.

I took delivery of my X5 40i on 12/14 (week 49 build). I absolutely love it. It is gorgeous. It's like driving on glass.

Since 12/14, I have only put about 200 miles on it. Last week, I noticed that the engine began to rev up not only when I began to brake- but even when I was just coasting. This past weekend- it began to happen more frequently and even when I accelerated (like I was driving in a lower gear). No warnings or messages on any of the displays. I have an appointment scheduled at the dealership for 1/8- the earliest available date.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? This seems crazy to be happening under 300 miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCav View Post
I took delivery of my X5 40i on 12/14 (week 49 build). I absolutely love it. It is gorgeous. It's like driving on glass.

Since 12/14, I have only put about 200 miles on it. Last week, I noticed that the engine began to rev up not only when I began to brake- but even when I was just coasting. This past weekend- it began to happen more frequently and even when I accelerated (like I was driving in a lower gear). No warnings or messages on any of the displays. I have an appointment scheduled at the dealership for 1/8- the earliest available date.

Has anyone experienced similar issues? This seems crazy to be happening under 300 miles.
Are you perhaps driving in "D" but the Sport or Sports Plus button pressed?
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:34 PM   #3
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Quote:

I always drive in Sports Plus. Is that an issue? I appreciate your response.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 05:41 PM   #4
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I drive a '19 X3 M40i so I'm assuming the transmissions have similar behaviors - someone more expert than me with a '19 X5 can chime in, but this sounds like expected behavior to me since this happens on mine as well, just as you've described.

If I drive in D, I use just Sport and the Revs are fine.

If I drive in S or M modes, and in Sport/Sport Plus then the revs behave just fine as well.

I'm 99.9% certain that's what you're experiencing, in which case, normal behavior
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I drive a '19 X3 M40i so I'm assuming tvhe transmissions have similar behaviors - someone more expert than me with a '19 X5 can chime in, but this sounds like expected behavior to me since this happens on mine as well, just as you've described.

If I drive in D, I use just Sport and the Revs are fine.

If I drive in S or M modes, and in Sport/Sport Plus then the revs behave just fine as well.

I'm 99.9% certain that's what you're experiencing, in which case, normal behavior
I appreciate it- will try it tomorrow.

I also have a 2016 X5 and have always had it in Sport with no issues

Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-30-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep

No problem. I'm not an expert (particularly with the new X5's), but that sounds like it's behaving normally. Good luck with your test tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:29 PM   #7
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
No problem. I'm not an expert (particularly with the new X5's), but that sounds like it's behaving normally. Good luck with your test tomorrow.
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2018, 06:34 PM   #8
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:

Sports Plus will apply a more aggressive shifting approach. It will holds gears longer and go to higher revs as you accelerate. It will downshift earlier and rev much higher. When coasting and braking it will aggressively downshift and rev higher. It sounds to me like Sports Plus is preforming as designed.

Try driving in comfort mode... does this still happen?

I agree with others. Sounds like your X5 is performing as designed. Sports Plus is not really meant for casual driving... Long, winding road that is devoid of traffic and I want to have some fun driving hard for a little bit - yeah, Sports Plus. Vs - just driving around, business as usual... keep it in Comfort or Sports. When in doubt, Adaptive is great.
Appreciate 1
TechCTU767.50
      12-30-2018, 06:43 PM   #9
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:

Sports Plus will apply a more aggressive shifting approach. It will holds gears longer and go to higher revs as you accelerate. It will downshift earlier and rev much higher. When coasting and braking it will aggressively downshift and rev higher. It sounds to me like Sports Plus is preforming as designed.

I agree with others. Sounds like your X5 is performing as designed. Sports Plus is not really meant for casual driving... Long, winding road that is devoid of traffic and I want to have some fun driving hard for a little bit - yeah, Sports Plus. Vs - just driving around, business as usual... keep it in Comfort or Sports. When in doubt, Adaptive is great.
Thanks Lumpydog- as always- I appreciate your insight.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50
      12-31-2018, 03:32 PM   #10
MarkCav
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
Quote:

Thanks Lumpydog- as always- I appreciate your insight.
Thank you BMWZ4 and lumpydog for your help yesterday. Driving in Sport or the Adaptive mode solved the issue.
Appreciate 1
lumpydog690.50