BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-03-2019, 06:54 AM   #1
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Auto Start/Stop Disabled

Hi

Lately no matter what mode I'm in, even Eco Pro, when the engine would normally auto stop, an icon will suddenly appear saying Auto Start/Stop and will have a line through it. But then once and awhile it will work. No I'm not pressing the disable button. :P Any ideas? Not trying to start the start stop debate, just trying to understand how it works. I know disabling it permanently has been one of the Holy Grails of these, so maybe I somehow got close.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #2
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
Hi

Lately no matter what mode I'm in, even Eco Pro, when the engine would normally auto stop, an icon will suddenly appear saying Auto Start/Stop and will have a line through it. But then once and awhile it will work. No I'm not pressing the disable button. :P Any ideas? Not trying to start the start stop debate, just trying to understand how it works. I know disabling it permanently has been one of the Holy Grails of these, so maybe I somehow got close.
There are lots of conditions that auto start/stop will not activate. What were the conditions when it was deactivated?

What was the ambient temp?

Was the operating temperature of the engine is too low? (Most likely the issue during cold weather)

Was the vehicle running idle speed?

Was the brake pedal not pressed firmly?

Was the vehicle was not driven at a speed of > 5 km/h (3 mph) following the previous engine shutdown?

Was the ambient temperature above +30°C (86 °F) (with heating and air conditioning system switched on)?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 08:48 AM   #3
JackJack1
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
There are lots of conditions that auto start/stop will not activate. What were the conditions when it was deactivated/not active?

What was the ambient temp?

Was the operating temperature of the engine is too low? (Most likely the issue during cold weather)

Was the vehicle running idle speed?

Was the brake pedal not pressed firmly?

Was the vehicle was not driven at a speed of > 5 km/h (3 mph) following the previous engine shutdown?

Was the ambient temperature above +30°C (86 °F) (with heating and air conditioning system switched on)?

Yes, agreed. During winter and middle of summer the auto-stop is usually disabled due to outside temp. When it kicks on the AC or Heat slows down and it won't be able to maintain the right temps in the car.
Appreciate 0