GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > Classifieds > Vendor Comments/Review/Feedback Forum

01-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

Exclamation Avoid Auto Talent

Tl;dr: Auto Talent has had my F80 for 4 months with no legitimate explanation, owner refuses to speak with me directly and I offered to pay $6k on a $12k tab because of the 3 months of car payments I’ve paid during their excuses.

I don’t even know where to begin on this subject because of how long and convoluted the entire situation has become — I’ve never been treated in such a way before especially with a company that I’ve spent over $50k with in the course of a year.

Auto Talent has worked on multiple cars for me and I’ve even made referrals in the past, so coming from me now is me pushing the brakes on those that I’ve recommended to utilize their services.

Auto Talent has had my F80 for 4 months — 4. Months.

The work that was done should’ve taken no more than a month, given down time and time to arrange for certain situations, the work was as follows:

AA mid-pipe
Awron digital gauge
BMS Stealth Tank
JB4 to control meth
Tune for 91 + meth
Tune for e85 + meth
Crank hub fix

If anyone can explain to me how this takes 4 months to achieve then I will happily drop my complaint here.

My problem is — I even have copies of emails from the vendor of the crank hub solution; they were waiting for the tool since June, my car arrived on August 28th.

How do you sell me a service you can’t perform, continue delaying blaming it on lift space and other things when the real situation was they didn’t have the required tools, and then when it finally came it was broken — how is it my responsibility to cover your incompetence?

They’re charging for tuning and dyno time, when CaryTheLabelGuy is performing the tuning and they’re running it on the dyno as he changes the file — why am I being charged for their tuning plus Jordan’s? Auto Talent isn’t doing the custom tune, Jordan was paid for the service.

What was the first excuse? Jordan took 3 weeks to do tune, which is bullshit.

Second excuse is that the lifts were occupied.

Third excuse was the tool hadn’t arrived yet.

Fourth excuse was when it arrived it was broken.

Fifth excuse was that another car needed to be repaired for a spun crank hub before mine could be tended to.

My problem is as follows: why not have me bring the car in when you have everything necessary to do the job? Why did it sit there for 4 months?

What if it was my daily driver? What car would’ve been being used for the last 4 months? I know I’m an outlier with having multiple vehicles that I have access to.

If they’re treating me like this when I’ve spent what I’ve spent, and friends like Powerbeast have spent what they’ve spent, how do they prioritize the average buyer that’s only in for HAS or a tune? Wheels and spacers?

The drama doesn’t end there though; Sam has refused to speak with me until I began yelling yesterday because he felt as if he didn’t need to, that Justin.AutoTalent is the only one that should be handling my complaint because they operate like a car dealership.

I’m sorry, I know I’ve spent the price of a Benz with you but I didn’t know you sold them.

I offered to pay them $6k; my invoice is $12k and I’ve spent $5k in 3 of the 4 months car and insurance payments — to me this is fair. My offer is essentially wiping out some of their labor and dyno charges and paying for parts so they aren’t actually losing money, end of day I’m also a business owner.

I have the invoices, photos, screenshots, etc for all of the above that I will post when I get home — writing this in haste because I’m fed up with their antics and after receiving an insulting offer of $2,000 off of the invoice I had to speak up.

Humor note: they still keep using my thread to promote the shop, this was posted on 11/08 when my car wasn’t completed until the last week of December.
Appreciate 4
chris7197331.50
svr2132.00
SOLIDM460.00
MrSlickk396.00
      01-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #2
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Post reserved for photos, and any other added information.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #3
nickl630
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3CS, 09 GTR

Yikes. Sorry to hear man. Hopefully this gets the ball rolling on getting your car back.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2019, 09:30 PM   #4
shoei
Banned
Rep
Drives: MW Vespa w/pink racing stripes

I dunno, I get your irritation, but as a business owner yourself, you can't expect 50% off because of some issues... There's a little bit of entitlement from your way (no offense) when you mention that you should be made priority because of the amount of money you have spent there... I don't agree with that thought process - I don't treat people based upon dollars spent with me - I treat people accordingly and usually go off the metric of how they treat my employees... I don't bend over backwards for people who go off on my employees, just not having it... As much as I'm sure you would take care of your employees if situation was reversed... Right wrong or indifferent...

I've been using AT probably as long as you have if not longer - last 6 or 7 cars actually... There's been a mistake made here or there, but always rectified... I don't yell or scream, it's futile and pointless... Here's the thing - everybody has fuck ups or off days... Been using the same tint guy who does NBA, NFL players etc... I have bubbles in the current tints for the new ride... The motorcycle shop I use for all my bikes? They aren't 100% either, but they also rectify... Shit, they crashed a certain A list actor's bike - rectified and he still flies them out for track days...

Shit happens - while I feel your plight and disappointment, blasting them on the forums and threatening to pull the people you have referred is counter productive... There's a reason you've gone to AT and spent that much money there... You and I both know there isn't a hell of a lot reputable shops and especially here in Los Angeles... You know they aren't gonna rip you off...

I'm confident they'll make it right but this isn't helping relations, that's for damn sure... Neither is yelling at people... Or demanding 50% off, that's a bit much... I like AT and they've always done right by me and everyone else I've referred, sometimes shit happens... And trust me, doesn't matter the business, you just have those days, nobody is perfect 100% of the time... Just my two cents...

PS - I did see your car before and it gives me deep regrets not getting frozen white for my last f80 lol... Here's to hoping she's road ready soon...
Appreciate 11
      01-03-2019, 09:32 PM   #5
xsheenx
F80
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Gray F80

Bummer man...4 months is a long time to be without your F80.
svr2132.00
      01-03-2019, 09:54 PM   #6
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoei View Post
I dunno, I get your irritation, but as a business owner yourself, you can't expect 50% off because of some issues... There's a little bit of entitlement from your way (no offense) when you mention that you should be made priority because of the amount of money you have spent there... I don't agree with that thought process - I don't treat people based upon dollars spent with me - I treat people accordingly and usually go off the metric of how they treat my employees... I don't bend over backwards for people who go off on my employees, just not having it... As much as I'm sure you would take care of your employees if situation was reversed... Right wrong or indifferent...

I've been using AT probably as long as you have if not longer - last 6 or 7 cars actually... There's been a mistake made here or there, but always rectified... I don't yell or scream, it's futile and pointless... Here's the thing - everybody has fuck ups or off days... Been using the same tint guy who does NBA, NFL players etc... I have bubbles in the current tints for the new ride... The motorcycle shop I use for all my bikes? They aren't 100% either, but they also rectify... Shit, they crashed a certain A list actor's bike - rectified and he still flies them out for track days...

Shit happens - while I feel your plight and disappointment, blasting them on the forums and threatening to pull the people you have referred is counter productive... There's a reason you've gone to AT and spent that much money there... You and I both know there isn't a hell of a lot reputable shops and especially here in Los Angeles... You know they aren't gonna rip you off...

I'm confident they'll make it right but this isn't helping relations, that's for damn sure... Neither is yelling at people... Or demanding 50% off, that's a bit much... I like AT and they've always done right by me and everyone else I've referred, sometimes shit happens... And trust me, doesn't matter the business, you just have those days, nobody is perfect 100% of the time... Just my two cents...

PS - I did see your car before and it gives me deep regrets not getting frozen white for my last f80 lol... Here's to hoping she's road ready soon...
Honestly, it just happened to end up being 50% — that isn't the approach I'm taking with it, I'm factoring in labor costs in correlation to hourly/salary rates and the fact that I'm being charged for dyno tuning when Koji isn't even the one doing the dyno tunining, he's just running the dyno while Jordan is manipulating the tune.

There are more factors at play, which is why I'm going to post invoices etc when I return home. I just happened to type this up in heat of moment out of frustration because it isn't about what I've spent, but the lack of respect in the whole situation.

If you're a business owner and can't talk to your customer when he's having problems because you feel you don't need to, it's the larger issue to me — it isn't about the money I've spent or ego, it's just bad business.

I know a few people that won't be returning because of how they carried themselves in 2018, I'm not the only one. They're biting off more than they can chew and I just happen to be the vocal one of the group taking it public.
Appreciate 3
guess2098516.00
svr2132.00
      01-03-2019, 10:08 PM   #7
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Quote:

Honestly, it just happened to end up being 50% — that isn't the approach I'm taking with it, I'm factoring in labor costs in correlation to hourly/salary rates and the fact that I'm being charged for dyno tuning when Koji isn't even the one doing the dyno tunining, he's just running the dyno while Jordan is manipulating the tune.

There are more factors at play, which is why I'm going to post invoices etc when I return home. I just happened to type this up in heat of moment out of frustration because it isn't about what I've spent, but the lack of respect in the whole situation.

If you're a business owner and can't talk to your customer when he's having problems because you feel you don't need to, it's the larger issue to me — it isn't about the money I've spent or ego, it's just bad business.

I know a few people that won't be returning because of how they carried themselves in 2018, I'm not the only one. They're biting off more than they can chew and I just happen to be the vocal one of the group taking it public.
Haven't your heard that age old saying? - "don't write a text or email (or forum post) when you feeling a type of way..." lol...

Your second comment here sounds like somebody rational and someone I would fuck with... Your first post came across all kinds of wrong I guess lol...

I don't have a dog in this fight and you are right, I would do what I could to make things right for my patients / customers, reps, brands, etc, but I draw the line at people yelling at my employees... But I don't know if you meant yell or just talk emotionally cuz you said so yourself, first post was written in the heat of the moment so maybe you didn't mean yell? Lol...

What I do know is, they always do things to make it right... They've been in the game for a minute, and you don't get there by shitting the bed constantly... With that said, maybe you are right and they are getting bigger and bigger? I don't know, I'm not in the automotive world, but I would be willing to bet they'll make it right... Just be rational and calm and levelheaded like your second post, cuz I would definitely go out of my way for that guy...

It's only 3 days into 2019 - I'm just not trying to bust out with "well, 2019 is already fucked so looking towards 2020..."
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2019, 10:38 PM   #8
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haven't your heard that age old saying? - "don't write a text or email (or forum post) when you feeling a type of way..." lol...

Your second comment here sounds like somebody rational and someone I would fuck with... Your first post came across all kinds of wrong I guess lol...

I don't have a dog in this fight and you are right, I would do what I could to make things right for my patients / customers, reps, brands, etc, but I draw the line at people yelling at my employees... But I don't know if you meant yell or just talk emotionally cuz you said so yourself, first post was written in the heat of the moment so maybe you didn't mean yell? Lol...

What I do know is, they always do things to make it right... They've been in the game for a minute, and you don't get there by shitting the bed constantly... With that said, maybe you are right and they are getting bigger and bigger? I don't know, I'm not in the automotive world, but I would be willing to bet they'll make it right... Just be rational and calm and levelheaded like your second post, cuz I would definitely go out of my way for that guy...

It's only 3 days into 2019 - I'm just not trying to bust out with "well, 2019 is already fucked so looking towards 2020..."

I didn't yell at the staff, Justin is the homie — but Sam refusing to talk to me until after I yelled about him refusing to talk to me is the intolerable part that I have issues with.

I don't have ill will toward those I've worked with, majority of time being Justin, because I know it isn't in their hands.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #9
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

I think it’s ridiculous they’re taking 4 months for those small jobs. The crank hub being the most time consuming, but the rest of those jobs can be knocked out in 1 day.

I don’t agree with Shoei, I would look at it as 3 or 4 months of lost ownership, especially if they promised by a certain date. I sympathize with you the frustrations of this. You’re in no wrong
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 01:43 AM   #10
shoei
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBMWfan View Post
I think it’s ridiculous they’re taking 4 months for those small jobs. The crank hub being the most time consuming, but the rest of those jobs can be knocked out in 1 day.

I don’t agree with Shoei, I would look at it as 3 or 4 months of lost ownership, especially if they promised by a certain date. I sympathize with you the frustrations of this. You’re in no wrong
Not surprised in the slightest bit you don't agree with me - you may have changed your name but I'll always remember how self entitled you are lolol...

Nobody said he wasn't in the right or he was wrong - he clarified what he originally posted and about certain details, so no need to put words in my mouth... Like I said, you can change your name but you're still the same dude...
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2019, 02:47 AM   #11
elinstylez
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

It's strange the owner would refuse to talk to you, if he's busy and unable to that's a different story.

4 months is a really long time to be without a car, much less an m3 while you're incurring costs. They should've communicated that to you a long time ago. Seems to be a breakdown in communication that needs to be addressed by both parties but hopefully they'll make it right for you.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 05:14 AM   #12
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Hopefully you get the situation resolved amicably man, at the end of the day you and the person/people at AT know what's evolved over the last four months. While it's ordinary professionalism you're describing don't be the one that compromises your moral compass (i.e. don't become the arsehole).

What comms during the initial delivery and transaction did you put forward regards expectations, were those expectations agreed upon and if there was a change was the change communicated and agreed upon. (Message for both parties to ponder....)

I'd be pissed in the length of time also, but take a something out if it for yourself moving forward dealing with all business transactions, including perceived recreational ones. Business transactions should be treated as such no matter the person, status or situation. Unfortunately that's not the reality, "human factors" kick in when people feel like they have some sort of a relationship/advantage/knowledge of a customer which can make people too casual, then that leads to...well this if not treated carefully when the need occurs.

Hope it works out bud.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #13
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not surprised in the slightest bit you don't agree with me - you may have changed your name but I'll always remember how self entitled you are lolol...

Nobody said he wasn't in the right or he was wrong - he clarified what he originally posted and about certain details, so no need to put words in my mouth... Like I said, you can change your name but you're still the same dude...
Once again I spoke too soon, yep, that’s me

If there weren’t expections and he didn’t follow-up, maybe that’s why it’s taking so long. It’s kind of hard to forget about what customers you have working since you can see their cars in your garage/ lot. Don’t B/S me these are pretty small jobs to do. No diagnosing, repairing, etc.

It’s ok you still the same dude too

Last edited by aBMWfan; 01-04-2019 at 09:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 10:16 AM   #14
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

Waiting for Autotalent to defend themselves..
Appreciate 1
r0wr587.50
      01-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
coldsteelrain
driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 xdrive

Sorry to hear this OP
I hope you guys can figure something out
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 11:18 AM   #16
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Once again I spoke too soon, yep, that's me

If there weren't expections and he didn't follow-up, maybe that's why it's taking so long. It's kind of hard to forget about what customers you have working since you can see their cars in your garage/ lot. Don't B/S me these are pretty small jobs to do. No diagnosing, repairing, etc.

It's ok you still the same dude too
There's really not much to defend, I did my part.

I always try my best to give the best customer service, anytime we did something to the car, Rich knew right away.

He asked for something I presented it to the owner and now we are just waiting for the owner to settle the issue

I've always been about being fair, and OP knows my stance on this because I've been in the same boat
Appreciate 7
      01-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #17
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post

I always try my best to give the best customer service, anytime we did something to the car, Rich knew right away.

He asked for something I presented it to the owner and now we are just waiting for the owner to settle the issue

I've always been about being fair, and OP knows my stance on this because I've been in the same boat
Oh my post wasn’t about Justin specifically, more so about working with the shop to set those expectations before you drop off the car, for any job. That way there’s no misunderstanding. But sometimes other issues come-up with other emergency repairs or other issues with the car. That’s partly the nature of it.

Hope everything works out.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 02:59 PM   #18
e85m4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Never had any issues with AT i order all my stuff with them and never had a single issue !! Hope this gets resolved and i know it sucks to be without your car for 4 months but try to think positively about it... you probably saved putting 5000miles on your M
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:05 PM   #19
avex8
Major
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 m3, 15 F80 M3, GLC 63

At least you got a lambo to drive around Joke aside, Hope everything works out
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:28 PM   #20
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckedmyf80 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Once again I spoke too soon, yep, that's me

If there weren't expections and he didn't follow-up, maybe that's why it's taking so long. It's kind of hard to forget about what customers you have working since you can see their cars in your garage/ lot. Don't B/S me these are pretty small jobs to do. No diagnosing, repairing, etc.

It's ok you still the same dude too

Yeah isn't fair for Justin because isn't anything he has any control over, it's just Sam being a douchebag and refusing to cordially handle the situation.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 02:07 PM   #21
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

They’re charging for tuning and dyno time, when CaryTheLabelGuy is performing the tuning and they’re running it on the dyno as he changes the file — why am I being charged for their tuning plus Jordan’s? Auto Talent isn’t doing the custom tune, Jordan was paid for the service.

What was the first excuse? Jordan took 3 weeks to do tune, which is bullshit.
something similar I heard to this was a member going to AT for a custom tune with cary and was charged dyno time as soon as the car got on the dyno until it was off the dyno. my guess is they spent a real hour on tuning with cary while being charged having to wait in between tunes. I believe the car was on the dyno 5 hours which is what he was charged for. I may be in wrong here where maybe most shops do it the same way but I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #22
Green-Eggs
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Owner has a name, my name is Sam.

I didn't offer $2,000 off, it was $1,000.
Appreciate 0