BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-08-2019, 08:20 AM   #1
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Questions for G05 Owners, Color, Options, etc.

My wife and I are extremely impressed with the G05, it stands notably above the Q7 and Velar which we also tested so we're seriously considering one for her (M Sport in Mineral White). We want to strike the right combination of tech while avoiding unnecessary options so I have a few questions for owners:

We're looking at Ivory leather which is beautiful but we have two dogs. We do have a protector that goes over the back seat but for instances where their paws get on it, is it forgiving to clean? (We would get Canberra beige but we don't want a brown leather dash, I like Coffee but she doesn't)

How's the base stereo? How many speakers is it? We primarily listen to FM radio, occasionally stream radio, and occasionally listen to downloaded music from iTunes. I appreciate good sound quality but given the audio sources should we spend $875+ on a stereo upgrade? I'm thinking not.

Laser lights are pretty cool tech and do interest me but are they worth $1k? I saw a vid. where they do beam forming around objects or highlight certain objects, is that the case in the US or just Europe? Most of our driving is in a suburban area where even when we reach activation speed there will likely be other cars around.

Has anyone used the parking assistant? Is it easy to use and is it effective or more of a novelty? Does it work in a reasonable amount of time or does the car go at a snail's pace?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #2
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Personally I always go for more options vs less because I'd rather regret not getting them. I don't like the base audio it HK system so I got the Bowers and Wilkins, everyone's opinion will carry on this, try all of them at the dealer with your music of choice and see what works for you.

Laser headlights are certainly worth it for a few reasons. Without them you don't get the full LED 'rings' they're just half for the DRLs. The laser lights will provide better visibility at speeds over 37mph when enabled plus they look cool. If none of these matter to you then just get the standard ones.

I like the 360 cameras for parking and do it my self even though parking assistant works well from what I've tested. The ZPK is worth it without a question.
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
My wife and I are extremely impressed with the G05, it stands notably above the Q7 and Velar which we also tested so we're seriously considering one for her (M Sport in Mineral White). We want to strike the right combination of tech while avoiding unnecessary options so I have a few questions for owners:

We're looking at Ivory leather which is beautiful but we have two dogs. We do have a protector that goes over the back seat but for instances where their paws get on it, is it forgiving to clean? (We would get Canberra beige but we don't want a brown leather dash, I like Coffee but she doesn't)
It's forgiving early on but is going to require maintenance if you carry them often. FYI front setbacks are also in ivory soft panel and lower front dash. You might want to find a cover that also covers the front seat backrests. Are you considering Ivory Vernasca or Ivory Extended Merino?

Extended Merino is $1K plus you get the 20-way multi-contour seats included (it's $750 separately with Vernasca)

Quote:
How's the base stereo? How many speakers is it? We primarily listen to FM radio, occasionally stream radio, and occasionally listen to downloaded music from iTunes. I appreciate good sound quality but given the audio sources should we spend $875+ on a stereo upgrade? I'm thinking not.
Personal preference. Some owners don't mind the base sound system. I've always upgraded to HK and satisfied with the sound. From your perspective, splurging on the $4200 B&W Diamond sound is a no go

Quote:
Laser lights are pretty cool tech and do interest me but are they worth $1k? I saw a vid. where they do beam forming around objects or highlight certain objects, is that the case in the US or just Europe? Most of our driving is in a suburban area where even when we reach activation speed there will likely be other cars around.
Personal preference. Laser high beams only kick on at speeds above 40mph, below that they're LED. What they do provide is upgrade the DRL to the Iconic BMW design, LED turn signals that run the length of the headlight unit. The design greatly enhances the look from standard adaptive LED which remind me of VW Atlas headlights.

$1K seems overkill but I personally would upgrade. For reference BMW used to charge $1900 for Adaptive LED upgrade on the F15s - and ordering features from the factory is less than trying to upgrade it later on.

The anti-dazzle tunneling feature is standard in Europe. One could potenntially code this for USA once coders untrimmed files from BMW.

From skalberti:
For the USA, coders aren't working on the anti dazzle because at this point all the ECU's but two have trimmed files. What'll have to happen before anything can be coded is someone get the untrimmed files from BMW. Right now all that can be coded is the ASS button, seatbelt lights and warnings and the rear hatch button to close the rear hatch because those features are in untrimmed ECU's.

Quote:
Has anyone used the parking assistant? Is it easy to use and is it effective or more of a novelty? Does it work in a reasonable amount of time or does the car go at a snail's pace?
Thanks!
Parking assistance package is well worth it just for the surround with 3D view alone.

As far as minimum options:
- At least Premium Tier
- Parking assistance package
- Merino extended leather with multi-contour seating
- Heated front seats, armrests & steering wheel (if you live in cold climate)

Other upgrades you might like:
- Harmon Kardon
- Driving assistance professional
- 2 axle-air suspension + Integral active steering ($1300) - I call this out because if helps if you have short dogs or want them to jump in the back/trunk - allows you to adjust the height for easy loading plus features of air suspension and shorter turning radius.

Upgrades if you have cash to burn:
- Leather dash
- M Sport brakes
- Glass controls

Hope this helps.

Appreciate 1
MPoweRo428.00
      01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #4
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Thanks for the replies.

It would be Vernasca leather. The seat cover we have does go over the front seatbacks so we'd be good there.

Sounds like the standard audio will probably be OK for us.

Still not sure on the laser lights. We're around other traffic a lot in NJ so I'm not sure how often they'll even turn on in day-to-day driving. I'm sure they'd be nice on trips.

Note that the 3D Surround View comes with the Premium Package so we wouldn't need the parking assistant just to get that.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-08-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

To build on this. I think the HK sounds makes a big difference especially on HD radio. I never noticed much difference between HD and regular radio on my past BMW's, but can totally tell when it switches to HD with the HK (I didn't compare to regular on G05).

I would add acoustic glass. It's only $150 and I think makes it very quiet.

I thought the auto steering and parking packages were a little silly, but got them anyways. Glad I did. I use them a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Leather dash really makes the car look less cheap, though it is pricey. Figured it's the thing on the car me and others would be looking at the most and didn't want to be mad looking at plastic.

I got the cooling/massaging seats. Not sure if I would do this again. The massage feature is nice to relieve stiffness on long drives, but distracting in daily attention focused driving. Plus because of the massaging hardware, not as cushy as the other seats. Definitely try before buy.

I got the Lasers, and still not sure if I'll ever see them in use. I'm almost never on a road where I'm going over 40 and there isn't an oncoming car. I wish I could use it at lower speeds especially in deer infested backroads where speed is sometimes 30. I got the Exec package since I wanted the laser, auto start and something else I can't remember so just go that. I can't say I really notice the soft close doors. Most people are used to normal force for shutting doors and do anyways.

I got coffee, and wasn't sure I was going to like it but was sick of black and the others were too light. But in person I love it. Looks great with the matte wood and violet interior light setting. Research Ivory. I've heard folks say jeans turn it blue over time even.

Get the sport package. I think they look silly without it. (personal opinion) Plus includes stuff you want anyways so not that much more in the end.

I also recommend the spare tired. Yes you have runflats but I've had those get a hole the I could put my had through. Was glad I had a spare. Only $150 or so.

Just my $0.02.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
I also recommend the spare tired. Yes you have runflats but I've had those get a hole the I could put my had through. Was glad I had a spare. Only $150 or so.
Does the ordering the spare change the configuration of the cargo area at all? If not, presumably you can easily add later?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:19 AM   #7
TK421BMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 328, X5, Z4

Well you loose the space under the cargo area that the tire takes up, still get a small hidden storage area. No impacts to the regular cargo area.
2020 f30 440 xDrive Convertible
2004 e85 Z4 3.0
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #8
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Does the ordering the spare change the configuration of the cargo area at all? If not, presumably you can easily add later?
Photo credit: Wild Blue. As TK421BMW mentioned, no change to regular cargo area compared to the X3.

Name:  IMG_8811_zpsr8mfcf1q.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  227.2 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #9
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricom View Post
Photo credit: Wild Blue. As TK421BMW mentioned, no change to regular cargo area compared to the X3.

Attachment 1968315
Is that cognac leather?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #10
Auricom
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Is that cognac leather?
Tartufo Merino

Name:  IMG_8820_zpsg5j2mzv4.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  205.4 KB

Bonus pic with fire extinguisher, LOL.

"local Middle East models apparently sell with a big red fire extinguisher strapped to the front of the passenger's seat."

Name:  IMG_8814_zpsps6jox8v.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  206.7 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 11:32 AM   #11
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Thanks for those responses on the spare. I let the CA talk me out of it, ugh.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:34 PM   #12
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK421BMW View Post
To build on this. I think the HK sounds makes a big difference especially on HD radio. I never noticed much difference between HD and regular radio on my past BMW's, but can totally tell when it switches to HD with the HK (I didn't compare to regular on G05).

I would add acoustic glass. It's only $150 and I think makes it very quiet.

I thought the auto steering and parking packages were a little silly, but got them anyways. Glad I did. I use them a lot more than I ever thought I would.

Leather dash really makes the car look less cheap, though it is pricey. Figured it's the thing on the car me and others would be looking at the most and didn't want to be mad looking at plastic.

I got the cooling/massaging seats. Not sure if I would do this again. The massage feature is nice to relieve stiffness on long drives, but distracting in daily attention focused driving. Plus because of the massaging hardware, not as cushy as the other seats. Definitely try before buy.

I got the Lasers, and still not sure if I'll ever see them in use. I'm almost never on a road where I'm going over 40 and there isn't an oncoming car. I wish I could use it at lower speeds especially in deer infested backroads where speed is sometimes 30. I got the Exec package since I wanted the laser, auto start and something else I can't remember so just go that. I can't say I really notice the soft close doors. Most people are used to normal force for shutting doors and do anyways.

I got coffee, and wasn't sure I was going to like it but was sick of black and the others were too light. But in person I love it. Looks great with the matte wood and violet interior light setting. Research Ivory. I've heard folks say jeans turn it blue over time even.

Get the sport package. I think they look silly without it. (personal opinion) Plus includes stuff you want anyways so not that much more in the end.

Just my $0.02.
This is useful feedback. Thank you. We're trying to keep the cost under control while getting what's important to us.

We'll probably pass on the acoustic glass as the windshield already is and we find the car to be quiet on the road.

We're going to pass on the leather dash and upgraded seats, too. Not only is the base interior much nicer and higher quality than my 340, it's far better than my wife's 2011 MDX (it has been a great car) which we are replacing.

This is exactly what I was wondering about the lasers. We live in NJ near the shore and there are always other cars around unless we drive several miles out of our normal area so I'm thinking we won't get much use out of laser headlights even though they look and sound cool. I'd be using it for travel several weekends a year but I don't know if that makes it worthwhile.

The Ivory is beautiful but I kind of wish my wife liked the Coffee, not only does it look handsome, it would be easier to take care of.

We'd be getting the M Sport. At the end of the day it's ~2.5k for very attractive wheels, painted fender flares, and options we'd add to the xLine anyway.

The spare is probably a good idea. I'd be using this to tow my track car and I would hate to end up a few hours away and get a flat that can't be repaired with my trailer attached.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #13
Mark609
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G05 Xline

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Thanks for those responses on the spare. I let the CA talk me out of it, ugh.
\

Save your money and buy it later. Buying used will save you even more.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 07:46 AM   #14
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
We're looking at Ivory leather which is beautiful but we have two dogs.

Madness.
      01-09-2019, 08:02 AM   #15
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post

Madness.
Yeah it's a bit of a concern. Beige only comes with a brown leather dash (we don't want the dash to be brown or leather). I like Coffee but my wife doesn't. We do have a seat protector that goes between the front and back seats but the one dog likes to step through onto the center console armrest.

Last edited by gofast182; 01-09-2019 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
GeeRam
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40d SE

Quote:
Yeah it's a bit of a concern. Beige only comes with a brown leather dash (we don't want the dash to be brown or leather). I like Coffee but my wife doesn't. We do have a seat protector that goes between the front and back seats but the one dog likes to step through onto the center console armrest.
Maybe the wife will like the coffee more if you tell her she'll be the one having to try and keep the Ivory leather clean on a daily basis if my mate's ivory interior BM is anything to go by (and he doesn't have a dog or any children!)The way it shows scuffs and marks, plus the dye transfer from wearing jeans is horrific, why anyone would spec it is beyond my understanding!!
      01-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #17
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeRam View Post
Quote:
Maybe the wife will like the coffee more if you tell her she'll be the one having to try and keep the Ivory leather clean on a daily basis if my mate's ivory interior BM is anything to go by (and he doesn't have a dog or any children!)The way it shows scuffs and marks, plus the dye transfer from wearing jeans is horrific, why anyone would spec it is beyond my understanding!!
If you take care of the leather an apply proper products it's a non-issue
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 0