E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Shiv,just a though.V81 related

07-17-2008, 01:36 AM   #1
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Shiv,just a though.V81 related

Why dont you try to get back at BMW and scan the ecu and find out exactly what there flaging and make a obd2 tool that we can hook up and clear the codes?

How sick would it be if we could just scan the ecu and clear it like a check engine light and then drive the car with no mods for a while and bring it right in.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:50 AM   #2
imaznumkay
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

turbo/fi/engine mod forum has turned into shiv's pm box once again....

no offense to the op, this thread is absolutely dumb/pointless
      07-17-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
Hunter399
Major General
Rep
Drives: F90M5

search
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

well its up for any tuner,Shiv was the first to do most things on a 335,if anyone can do it I know Jim C can but he dosnt like to do dirty things like something like this.

He prolly wont do it so I asked the next person that could.

Sorry if its already been asked,but I see this as a very easy way to get around BMW voiding your warenty.

emagine a little shark inj that clears the ecu to a bone stock car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 07:24 AM   #5
double35
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Let's imagine being honest, decent people not trying to rip others off.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #6
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep
Drives: 4 Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by double35 View Post
Let's imagine being honest, decent people not trying to rip others off.
These posts are hilarious! Do you realize who is being dishonest? Can you tell me that BMW should void a warranty if you put an intake on the car? Maybe void it for your aftermarket floor mats? What about voiding your warranty because you changed your oil yourself before their 15,000 mile service? Who is getting wripped off now that they decided the car only needs oil changes every 15k miles even though every body and their mother recommends it sooner? No tranny fluid change EVER on the manual?

Let's imagine being honest huh? Nothing personal, but I think it is time to open the blinders.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
These posts are hilarious! Do you realize who is being dishonest? Can you tell me that BMW should void a warranty if you put an intake on the car? Maybe void it for your aftermarket floor mats? What about voiding your warranty because you changed your oil yourself before their 15,000 mile service? Who is getting wripped off now that they decided the car only needs oil changes every 15k miles even though every body and their mother recommends it sooner? No tranny fluid change EVER on the manual?

Let's imagine being honest huh? Nothing personal, but I think it is time to open the blinders.
I have changed my oil twice already......
      07-17-2008, 08:24 AM   #8
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Not a bad idea in my opinion, but damn people quit jumping on this guy.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
So according to this honesty guy, you have voided your warranty and the warranty on your next car as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Former_Boosted_IS
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
Not a bad idea in my opinion, but damn people quit jumping on this guy.
Accel, I am not jumping the OP. I think it is a good idea as well and it is being worked on now. Supposedly a company will have it by the end of the year. More info is on N54tech.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:03 AM   #11
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former_Boosted_IS View Post
Accel, I am not jumping the OP. I think it is a good idea as well and it is being worked on now. Supposedly a company will have it by the end of the year. More info is on N54tech.
Wasn't you, you had a level-headed response
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #12
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by grkm3 View Post
Why dont you try to get back at BMW and scan the ecu and find out exactly what there flaging and make a obd2 tool that we can hook up and clear the codes?

How sick would it be if we could just scan the ecu and clear it like a check engine light and then drive the car with no mods for a while and bring it right in.
it is posible to have a piggy back obd2 on top of the oem obd2.. OBD 2 is just bunches of wires and pin connecting together. I dont think you can buy ob2 housing by itself. you need to make one. However, it is illegal to do that.. it is a federal offense. you can buy cheap version of the BMW Diagnostic Head connector. it would be expensive to buy. YOu can use the diagnostic head connect to OBD 2 code reader. you can reset it.. HOwever, there is a faulty code is already stored on the Black box side of the DME. you need to clear it at the dealership or you need to buy the gt1 unit itself.
      07-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #13
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACA335i View Post
you can buy cheap version of the BMW Diagnostic Head connector. it would be expensive to buy.
      07-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #14
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Maybe you could just slip your SA a $50 and have him wipe out all the remnant's with the diagnostic tool.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
e90AW335i
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
Maybe you could just slip your SA a $50 and have him wipe out all the remnant's with the diagnostic tool.
Or find a local shop with a BMW computer...
      07-17-2008, 01:53 PM   #16
Tuned335i
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90AW335i View Post
Me too, and I have 6,200 miles...

Besides, no manufacturer can require service to be done at their dealership. This forum has gone completely insane. Must be the middle of the week, people have lost their minds.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:24 PM   #17
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

To add another perspective, who clears the hypothetical double secret code that suggests "improperly cleared codes," which might arise as BMW updates their software (or could exist now)?

You can never be certain that no code or trace has been left (even replacing the DME isn't certain, since other components could be used in some manner for hidden codes).

If BMW comes to believe, whether true or otherwise, that warranty problems are arising due to stealthy tunes, they will likely further raise the bar on detection methods. Since these devices are programmable, they can modify the extant base of cars over time to better detect "implausibilities." The limitations of the hardware put some bounds on what they can accomplish, but I doubt they are approaching the limit yet. A lab with a few instances of each tune and this is highly analogous to a computer virus detection problem...

I'm not saying this is likely, only that its possible.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 03:39 PM   #18
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFanny View Post
To add another perspective, who clears the hypothetical double secret code that suggests "improperly cleared codes," which might arise as BMW updates their software (or could exist now)?

You can never be certain that no code or trace has been left (even replacing the DME isn't certain, since other components could be used in some manner for hidden codes).

If BMW comes to believe, whether true or otherwise, that warranty problems are arising due to stealthy tunes, they will likely further raise the bar on detection methods. Since these devices are programmable, they can modify the extant base of cars over time to better detect "implausibilities." The limitations of the hardware put some bounds on what they can accomplish, but I doubt they are approaching the limit yet. A lab with a few instances of each tune and this is highly analogous to a computer virus detection problem...

I'm not saying this is likely, only that its possible.
It's also possible they could just say "fuck it" and sell the turbo cars with out a power train warranty (maybe at a discount) and not have to spend the money on secret squirrel operations, warranty repairs or looking like a bunch of Mod Nazi's.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 05:06 PM   #19
BmwFanFL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 - 335i - Cobb stg 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
It's also possible they could just say "fuck it" and sell the turbo cars with out a power train warranty (maybe at a discount) and not have to spend the money on secret squirrel operations, warranty repairs or looking like a bunch of Mod Nazi's.
Not a bad idea -- the "open" BMW. Buy it for X% less, very limited powertrain warranty, 25% discount on maintenance ...

I'm mainly pointing out that "diagnostic invisibility" is an arms race that only ends when BMW's is satisfied with the outcome (maybe now). They certainly could, IMO, detect most tunes if they chose to invest R&D in each tune's behavior. However, it likely requires more R&D and expensive updates than they'd car to spend.

We won't know for a few years how effective they are at this or the long term reliability of highly tuned cars. It would be silly for BMW to shout "Tuned car" every time they see an indication in their logs. First, they probably don't look unless there is an issue. Second, why send signals to tuners when no issue is apparent...

I will add that I don't believe it would evolve toward black/white "warranty gone" codes, but rather data collection that could be used in the event of certain classes of drivetrain failure (e.g., turbo, high-tq load parts).
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
I really don't know how BMW could detect the Doomsday version of v3, either now or in the future. They would actually have to add redundant sensors which they aren't going to do. And if they do, we simply intercept those signals as well.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #21
aab3218
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I really don't know how BMW could detect the Doomsday version of v3, either now or in the future. They would actually have to add redundant sensors which they aren't going to do. And if they do, we simply intercept those signals as well.

Shiv
I know you're just spewing marketing BS here but just in case you're looking for a technical counterpoint, there is much BMW can do to stop piggybacks.

An example:

The MSD80 ECU can measure current draw across inputs. That is how the primary O2 sensor inputs are configured, among others. So enable this functionality on the map input and map reference pins adding a check that when map current increases reference voltage has a proportional decrease. A normal piggyback would fail immediately because it would let the ECU sink much more current than the ECU was supplying. Even if you reconfigure the piggyback to attenuate the source current as a separate signal you would have no way of matching the piggyback output current. Say you build a piggyback to do this, or added firmware to do it, any good algorithm in the ECU would alter current using a function to make matching it impossible.

To be honest it would take a programmer maybe a few days to fully develop such a system within the ECU's framework and it would be much more effective than checking duty cycles and the like that they do now.

This is just one of many examples of how BMW could stop piggybacks via a software update if they decide to do it.

Another very easy way that maybe members here can better understand would be to have the ECU compute the time between two RPM points by gear. If it was faster than some allowable margin ECU could assume the car was accelerating too quickly and close throttle body or go in to limp mode.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2008, 06:40 PM   #22
scalbert
Major General
Rep
Drives: '13 S4, '15 Q7

I suppose I am confused about this whole matter. You will not always have a warranty. If you choose to modify, you are at risk and should acknowledge this possibility. If you plan to keep your car it becomes nearly irrelevant. If you plan to get rid of it in a few years, the likelyhood of something happening is minimal. But it is still a gamble; just be prepared if you loose. But in the end, the chances of something happening are minimal.

If you are overstretched on the vehicle and modifying it with the associated risk and cannot afford such risk. Step back and re-evaluate your purchasing decisions.
Appreciate 0