F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Kwik Fit won't release car. What are my rights?
GetBMWParts

01-11-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Kwik Fit won't release car. What are my rights?

I have a rust bucket when I need to go see my mum as she lives in a ghetto and refuses to move. All her social network is there and her favourite stores.

Anyhow so I take an old Polo to visit and yesterday I noticed a squeaky sound from the front end every time I went over a speed hump. So I was passing a KF where I have a friend. He knocked off early and the guy checking out the car said the front suspension bushes were shot.

I had a look for myself. They're not exactly cracked or falling off but do require replacement. So I called my friend in TPS who said he could have the part over in an hour. KF refused. They said it is their Monroe? Shock that comes with bushes or nothing.

They refused to allow me to drive the car and said it was unsafe. While I was trying to get hold of my KF friend they closed up shop! My car was inside!

Friend didn't have the keys so tried to ring another worker who wouldn't pick up.

I was livid. Still am. I had to Uber it to my mums in the end.

Can I do these people for anything? I don't know what the law is on compounding cars like that.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #2
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 430d Msport+

I would say that is technically theft. Taking of another person's property or services without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

I would threaten to call the police as they have no right to impound it, they aren't the police or VOSA.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:48 AM   #3
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Yep get the Police on the little Hitler manager and request a meeting with the area manager.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:55 AM   #4
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Not sure its theft, pretty sure garages arent allowed to assist you in driving a car that is unroadworthy - although of course that is open to interpretation and application. Given your friend works there sure it wont be too difficult to sign a disclaimer that car will only be driven to a place where a more cost effective repair can be done, you have been advised it is unroadworthy by KF mgt and recognise the risks.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 01:57 AM   #5
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

And the moral of this story is under no circumstances, ever, ever, ever take a car to Kwik Fit!!!

Its the automotive equivalent of taking a sick cow to the abattoir and expecting them to make it better!
Appreciate 2
F30Andy1777.00
Craig-SM324.50
      01-11-2019, 02:00 AM   #6
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Who Knows

There were news stories when the new MOT (you didn't exactly go in for one, but road worthiness rules apply) rules were coming into force about your rights and what garages can and can't do.

This links to one of them.

They have no right to hold your vehicle even if it is unroadworthy. As said above, I would wholly get the police involved as they have gone beyond what they are allowed to do and have attempted to force/coerce you into buying their products.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuuseishu View Post
There were news stories when the new MOT (you didn't exactly go in for one, but road worthiness rules apply) rules were coming into force about your rights and what garages can and can't do.

This links to one of them.

They have no right to hold your vehicle even if it is unroadworthy. As said above, I would wholly get the police involved as they have gone beyond what they are allowed to do and have attempted to force/coerce you into buying their products.
An interesting article but it doesnt actually say you can drive off in your car, it says some garages will collect it.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 02:16 AM   #8
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
An interesting article but it doesnt actually say you can drive off in your car, it says some garages will collect it.
From what I've read, unless the bushes are listed as a 'dangerous fault' (even though they didn't have an MOT test carried out) you are still allowed to drive the vehicle away as long as you have a valid MOT certificate.

From this website excessively worn bushes are only a major fault and therefore the vehicle can still be driven away.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13360.50
      01-11-2019, 02:33 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

And this is why I’d never take my car to KF, Nationwide or any Autocentre type place, once your cars there it will suddenly need 500 quid of work.

Hope you get it sorted!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13360.50
      01-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #10
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
From what I've read, unless the bushes are listed as a 'dangerous fault' (even though they didn't have an MOT test carried out) you are still allowed to drive the vehicle away as long as you have a valid MOT certificate.

From this website excessively worn bushes are only a major fault and therefore the vehicle can still be driven away.
I think that is a better line of attack than calling police - who frankly probably wont be that interested. Go armed with facts and ask them to explain why they wont release it and then prove them wrong....
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #11
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

I got it back this morning and have told the Police. The Police said you have it back there is nothing more to be done so leave it be.

He's a good mate so only for small bits like tyres it would be him only. He is a supervisor there. Otherwise I have never gone to a KF since learning the hard way as a teenager. My mate is royally pissed and has had words with the technician who was trying to make money out of me - final warning issued.

Anyhow I was allowed to drive it off after signing a disclaimer. I will change the bushes out myself in time.

It's a grey area. It has a valid MOT.

Never again.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #12
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
I think that is a better line of attack than calling police - who frankly probably wont be that interested. Go armed with facts and ask them to explain why they wont release it and then prove them wrong....
That is most likely true, however the threat of it can go a long way even if they still refuse when presenting them with the facts. They have effectively impounded the car with no explanation which is beyond what they are legally allowed to do, so technically it is a job for the police. However with the challenges most police forces face something like this would be well down their list of concerns.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:33 AM   #13
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Q7 & Clubman JCW on order

Even if you had got the police interested and there, surely it's not a great idea.

Kwik Fit don't have the power to take it off the road, but the police do. Would you really want them poking round an old scrapper with a Kwik Fit mechanic pointing out the faults to them?
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2019, 03:38 AM   #14
Kyuuseishu
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneinsixtyseconds View Post
Even if you had got the police interested and there, surely it's not a great idea.

Kwik Fit don't have the power to take it off the road, but the police do. Would you really want them poking round an old scrapper with a Kwik Fit mechanic pointing out the faults to them?
If they've only checked the bushes I don't think the police are going to stick around for the full MOT check to figure out everything that is wrong when it has a valid MOT certificate. They have more pressing issues to deal with than towing a car with worn bushes surely.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:43 AM   #15
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
If they've only checked the bushes I don't think the police are going to stick around for the full MOT check to figure out everything that is wrong when it has a valid MOT certificate. They have more pressing issues to deal with than towing a car with worn bushes surely.
I didn't say that and it's irrelevant now because the car has been released.

If by some miracle the police had gone and Kwik Fit had stuck to their guns that it wasn't roadworthy, then of course the police would have at least listened why they thought that.

But, it is irrelevant, because they would never go.

Unless it was Chesterfield, where the police station is 100 yards from Kwik Fit and 150 yards from Dominos. Quick lunchtime stroll......

Last edited by Goneinsixtyseconds; 01-11-2019 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:51 AM   #16
Craig-SM
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d M Sport - F30

Deleted
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:46 AM   #17
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
If Kwik Fit made a good case to the police that the vehicle was dangerous or unroadworthy, the police could issue the owner with a PG9 or a VDRS, both of which would be a royal ballache for the OP to deal with I would have thought, and neither of which would involve the police towing anything anywhere.

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #18
Consett Mag
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Looks like an over zealous technician going beyond his legally allowed actions. I'm not sure mind.

That story has put me off using them for anything though. Hope you've calmed down OP!
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13360.50
      01-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #19
UsmanF30
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d M Sport +

Was planning on using them for a set of Goodyears as they were the cheapest fitted. Might rethink that option now...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 10:43 AM   #20
Lincoln61
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsmanF30 View Post
Was planning on using them for a set of Goodyears as they were the cheapest fitted. Might rethink that option now...
Cheap is relative......come back when they have trashed your rims!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
Goneinsixtyseconds
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
Cheap is relative......come back when they have trashed your rims!
Used Kwik Fit loads of times to change tyres, never damaged anything yet. Each branch is as good as the people working there, same as any other company. In Chesterfield they have a good long serving manager who manages his staff well.

If you get your tyres done at BMW they are just as likely to damage them, probably more so as they do it less often.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #22
TouringPleb
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SRB 440i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincoln61 View Post
I would say that is technically theft. Taking of another person's property or services without that person's permission or consent with the intent to deprive the rightful owner of it.

I would threaten to call the police as they have no right to impound it, they aren't the police or VOSA.
Absolutely not theft.

Theft is "dishonestly appropriate property with the intention of PERMANENTLY depriving the other person of it"

Civil matter all day long.
Appreciate 0