BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking, and European Delivery    AUDIOPHILES! What your EQUALIZER SETUP please?

01-20-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

AUDIOPHILES! What your EQUALIZER SETUP please?

I feel I got my equalizer set up as shown in the picture but I am open to critique or recommendations?

I would love to call myself an Audiophile but far from it because I simply don't know enough and having a mediocre sound system at home called Polk doesn't qualify me for it, nor does having B&O or B&W in my ///M cars, does it? LOL

I know it can be subjective, but I am curious whether there's a SWEET SPOT, and I know many of the gripes about the B&W and people saying it's not much better than HK, may be owing to not tapping the full potential of the system by having the wrong setup!

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
MWcoupe
24k GOLD
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral White M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
I feel I got my equalizer set up as shown in the picture but I am open to critique or recommendations?

I would love to call myself an Audiophile but far from it because I simply don't know enough and having a mediocre sound system at home called Polk doesn't qualify me for it, nor does having B&O or B&W in my ///M cars, does it? LOL

I know it can be subjective, but I am curious whether there's a SWEET SPOT, and I know many of the gripes about the B&W and people saying it's not much better than HK, may be owing to not tapping the full potential of the system by having the wrong setup!

Thanks
Recently tuned to this setting from another post here. Loving it so far I turned up the treble and bass about 3 clicks
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      01-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Here is mine. I brought in a calibrated mic and measured from the driving position using uncorrelated pink noise. Then I adjusted the curve to smooth out the frequency response. Overall the profile was good. But there was a couple weird dips and a peak.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post23450409
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      01-20-2019, 05:38 PM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdeleon View Post
Here is mine. I brought in a calibrated mic and measured from the driving position using uncorrelated pink noise. Then I adjusted the curve to smooth out the frequency response. Overall the profile was good. But there was a couple weird dips and a peak.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9#post23450409
Interesting setup
Will try and report back to you

Like bass or treble more?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #5
kdeleon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by soooma View Post
Interesting setup
Will try and report back to you

Like bass or treble more?
Neither. It is made to be "neutral". At least what most humans think is neutral. I mentioned this is in another post that I will link below. But I discussed this with the head engineer for Revel. Basically, a neutral speaker is influenced by the room and what most people like is slightly boosted bass and then a treble roll off. Overall, the system follow that curve except for the peak and valley I try to correct for. This will give the smoothest "targeted" curve.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...2#post24254182
Appreciate 1
soooma1373.00
      04-21-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
Joe-BMW33
Major General
Rep
Drives: '18 M550i|'21 X5|'03 540i

Garage List
2013 VW Tiguan  [0.00]
2015 Infiniti QX60  [0.00]
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
2003 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2018 BMW M550  [10.00]
This is/was a good thread. I think I am an audiophile from the perspective of my ears and getting it tuned the way I like it. I am also OCD and of course from song to song the response is different. It's driving me nuts.

I have B&W in my M550. As far as Eq's go, I have always used the reverse bell curve. I little lighter on the far left Bass and 100% on the far right treble. From there, it's a reverse bell curve between the two. BUT, I am wondering if a flatter approach like a few folks noted here is more natural. I still want some bass though.
Appreciate 0