BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Snow tire change out

Hi guys,

I have never switched out to snow tires in my Jeep so I am new to this theory.

Does anyone see any issues with simply changing the all season tires annually with snow tires using the same 20 inch wheels that come with the msport?

Also, seems like the consensus favorite for snow tires are continentals???

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 09:48 AM   #2
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Yes. You can mount the winter tire on the same BMW rim that you have your run flats on.
It means dismounting run flats and mounting new winter tires.
With road force balancing (recommended) it can be expensive - like $150 dollars each time you do that. Dealer charges even more.
Run flats are tough to dismount so there will be some rim nicks.
Best is to get inexpensive rims from tire rack and let them mount snows on for you. This way you just bolt new wheels on. Remember to order them with TPMS sensors. After bolting on - reset tire pressure monitor and you are all set.

Remember if you have M brakes - only 20" wheels will fit
Not many Run flat options for snows, so most people get regular snow tires and carry a kit to plug/repair.

As to what kind of snow tire you need - depends on where you go in NE. I'm in Boston as well and drive to NH/Vermont - 6-10 times a season to ski, etc. So for me it is more important to have the snow tire that can handle the cold/wet roads and feel like a regular performance tire vs pure snow traction and digging in deep snow cover.

So I prefer Michelin Pilot Alpine SUV 5 - you will not know you have snows on - they drive as well as any performance tire and are V rated.

On the other end of spectrum is Nokian Hakkapelita - studded/ or non studded tire. Great in deep snow and ice ( i drove on them in Russia). Most of my friends in Vermont have those. It is good for packed snow, but on regular pavement you will feel it and the car will not handle the same (noise, spinning wheels, poor cornering etc)
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      01-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
JGoodell
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Audi Q7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
Yes. You can mount the winter tire on the same BMW rim that you have your run flats on.
With road force balancing (recommended) it can be expensive - like $150 dollars each time you do that. Dealer charges even more.
Best is to get inexpensive rims from tire rack and let them mount snows on for you. This way you just bolt new wheels on. Remember to order them with TPMS sensors. After bolting on - reset tire pressure monitor and you are all set.

Not many Run flat options for snows, so most people get regular snow tires and carry a kit to plug/repair.

As to what kind of snow tire you need - depends on where you go in NE. I'm in Boston as well and drive to NH/Vermont - 6-10 times a season to ski, etc. So for me it is more important to have the snow tire that can handle the cold/wet roads and feel like a regular performance tire vs pure snow traction and digging in deep snow cover.

So I prefer Michelin Pilot Alpine SUV 5 - you will not know you have snows on - they drive as well as any performance tire and are V rated.

On the other end of spectrum is Nokian Hakkapelita - studded/ or non studded tire. Great in deep snow and ice ( i drove on them in Russia). Most of my friends in Vermont have those. It is good for packed snow, but on regular pavement you will feel it and the car will not handle the same (noise, spinning wheels, poor cornering etc)
Thanks for the info. We're in the same NE boat. What wheels did you go with from tire rack. What do you do with the all seasons when they change them out? Do they fit in the trunk to take home or do they provide storage at a cost?
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      01-22-2019, 10:59 AM   #4
SWBOS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon - X5 40i

+1 for the Nokians, but they're tough to find someone who has them in stock.
Currently run them on my RR Evoque and intend to get a set of winter rims / Hakka's for the X5 )
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #5
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

Thanks for the info. We're in the same NE boat. What wheels did you go with from tire rack. What do you do with the all seasons when they change them out? Do they fit in the trunk to take home or do they provide storage at a cost?
I bought new wheels mounted and balanced on the rims from tirerack, I went with rims called MSW48 with 20 inch bridgestone blizzak wheels...they came mounted, balanced and with TPMS installed as well, shipping is fast and free... I installed them myself at home in my own garage...easy process really then went into idrive and changed the tire setting to winter and adjusted air pressure in the wheels according to what idrive recommended on the screen...as for my 22s that my X5 cane with I cleaned them and tucked them away in awesome tire totes (bags specially for tires) I bought on amazon... the new wheels and rims look and drive nicely...but they don't handle as well as my 22s specially with dynamic handling package I have on my X5...but will get back to them in 2-3 months since I'm in the lower midwest where weather is nicer in March...hope this helps
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50
      01-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I bought new wheels mounted and balanced on the rims from tirerack, I went with rims called MSW48 with 20 inch bridgestone blizzak wheels...they came mounted, balanced and with TPMS installed as well, shipping is fast and free... I installed them myself at home in my own garage...easy process really then went into idrive and changed the tire setting to winter and adjusted air pressure in the wheels according to what idrive recommended on the screen...as for my 22s that my X5 cane with I cleaned them and tucked them away in awesome tire totes (bags specially for tires) I bought on amazon... the new wheels and rims look and drive nicely...but they don't handle as well as my 22s specially with dynamic handling package I have on my X5...but will get back to them in 2-3 months since I'm in the lower midwest where weather is nicer in March...hope this helps
I did the same wheels from tire rack and did the Michelin x ice tires had the blizzaks and they are excellent but a bit noisy so trying the Michelin’s this time as they are nice and quiet and work well on my other car. I think the older Bmw wheel centers will fit those rims also but not the new x5 ones as they are smaller.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
salfeet84
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X7 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillrob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salfeet84 View Post
I did the same wheels from tire rack and did the Michelin x ice tires had the blizzaks and they are excellent but a bit noisy so trying the Michelin’s this time as they are nice and quiet and work well on my other car. I think the older Bmw wheel centers will fit those rims also but not the new x5 ones as they are smaller.
I bought center caps oem ones and they didn't fit...if u have bmw center caps that fit, what size are they?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:57 PM   #8
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGoodell View Post
Got OZ MSW type 49 wheels. Tire rack does not have a lot of choices anymore.
20s should fit in trunk with folded seats. Might meed to stand one diagonally. I'm storing them in my sub.
Appreciate 1
FiatLux11.50