E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine swap use the motor's DME or the car's DME?

02-02-2019, 09:38 PM   #1
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Engine swap use the motor's DME or the car's DME?

that is my question in the nutshell. I am installing a motor into my "new" 2008 E93 from my "old" wrecked 2007 E93. Should I bring the DME with the motor, or keep the original DME that the car came with? I guess my main question is, is there a VIN number stored in the DME unit?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:36 AM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEQuest View Post
that is my question in the nutshell. I am installing a motor into my "new" 2008 E93 from my "old" wrecked 2007 E93. Should I bring the DME with the motor, or keep the original DME that the car came with? I guess my main question is, is there a VIN number stored in the DME unit?
It will be much easier to keep you original cars DME

The CAS keys and Vin are stored in the DME
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Vin is stored in everywhere. Dme, CAS, Kombi, keys, transmission....Is lot easier to just keep those.
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by feuer View Post
Vin is stored in everywhere. Dme, CAS, Kombi, keys, transmission....Is lot easier to just keep those.
Thanks. Last night I pulled both DME units and my 2007 actually has the VIN written on it. So I kept the original DME with the car and will just code the injectors. One problem is I forgot to pull up my injector numbers in INPA before disconnecting everything. I did save some files from before the swap but not sure how to read them. Any suggestions to find out what my injector numbers are? They are hard to see at the angle they are at in the head. I wish I had read them and written them down somewhere before the swap.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. Last night I pulled both DME units and my 2007 actually has the VIN written on it. So I kept the original DME with the car and will just code the injectors. One problem is I forgot to pull up my injector numbers in INPA before disconnecting everything. I did save some files from before the swap but not sure how to read them. Any suggestions to find out what my injector numbers are? They are hard to see at the angle they are at in the head. I wish I had read them and written them down somewhere before the swap.
P. S. The car is running after 2 long days and everything seems good. I still have a hickup if I accelerate quickly then it seems OK but the Torque app shows me going in and out of closed loop and I get the engine fault, power reduced after a few minutes of clearing codes, then it come back again. I will see how it acts after coding the injectors but the intermittent hesitation was there before the swap.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
feuer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy!

Quote:
I don't know how to read them with INPA. I only know how to code them and I use the flash light on my iPhone to read the numbers.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:41 PM   #7
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Quote:
P. S. The car is running after 2 long days and everything seems good. I still have a hickup if I accelerate quickly then it seems OK but the Torque app shows me going in and out of closed loop and I get the engine fault, power reduced after a few minutes of clearing codes, then it come back again. I will see how it acts after coding the injectors but the intermittent hesitation was there before the swap.
Cheers to you bro...would love to see some pics of your work when you get time...
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Here are some photos. It was a long couple of days.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #9
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know how to read them with INPA. I only know how to code them and I use the flash light on my iPhone to read the numbers.
Yeah, I'm gonna use this wifi endoscope I have to get in there and look at them. It is hard to read some of them and my eyes are not what they used to be.
Appreciate 0