F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Changed cabin filter. Ooh, what fun, NOT!
ARMA SPEED

02-02-2019, 10:34 PM   #1
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d

Changed cabin filter. Ooh, what fun, NOT!

Taking the lower part of the dash went OK. Not sure if I released the filter cover properly but it came out. Whole bunch of leaf litter fell out, but not as bad as some I've seen on YouTube. At least there were no mouse feces or cadavers.

Tweaking the new filter in went OK as did replacing the cover, but that lower dash piece? AARRGH!!! Advice online was to make sure the locating tabs at the back and side engaged. What the gurus failed to mention that you can actually push the piece too far back and then the front tabs won't engage. I finally worked it out when I realised that the screws weren't aligned. All this while the door sill is digging in my ribs and the concrete garage floor is telling my knees who the real hard man is.

I'm beginning to wonder if home car maintenance at my age (late 50s) is not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 07:20 AM   #2
Jmhai328i
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Sportline RWD

Long ago I picked up some knee pads from the hardware store and like to roll up a towel and place under my ankles. When you lean back your butt is supported by the ankles and towel. You then can pivot forward on the padded knees. It doesn't make getting up any easier but "While your down there" is better on the knees. Sometimes it's just easier to take the seat out to do something under the dash.
      02-03-2019, 08:42 AM   #3
Batang.Gapo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i M Sport Edition II

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentorange View Post
I'm beginning to wonder if home car maintenance at my age (late 50s) is not a good idea.
I can relate on this one, last Fall I changed my rear rotor/pads on my 4Runner. Job went well except that after a day my body aches .
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #4
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Cabin air filter change in the F30 is a PITA due to having to deal with the wiring harness for the footwell lights and about a dozen screws and bolts and panels. It is a much simpler tool less process on the Mini which has no such lights and on other cars I've worked on where you partially detach the glove box and it sites behind there, you can do it in 2 minutes. Glad it's included in free maintenance for me!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

I used to do some of my own maintenance on my E36 and E46. Gave it up around my early 40’s. I decided I place a personal value of around $100 per hour for any manually difficult work. That is, if I can pay somebody $100 to do something painful or unpleasant for me, then I’m going to happily break out the wallet. For those that really enjoy working on their cars though (and I used to be one of you), more power to you and you have my admiration.

Sorry to hear the cabin filter change experience in the F30 hasn’t improved at all from the E36 and E46. I did those a couple times then decided to hell with it and let my indy do them after that.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #6
perryo91
Captain
Uganda
Rep
Drives: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Cabin air filter change in the F30 is a PITA due to having to deal with the wiring harness for the footwell lights and about a dozen screws and bolts and panels. It is a much simpler tool less process on the Mini which has no such lights and on other cars I've worked on where you partially detach the glove box and it sites behind there, you can do it in 2 minutes. Glad it's included in free maintenance for me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
I used to do some of my own maintenance on my E36 and E46. Gave it up around my early 40’s. I decided I place a personal value of around $100 per hour for any manually difficult work. That is, if I can pay somebody $100 to do something painful or unpleasant for me, then I’m going to happily break out the wallet. For those that really enjoy working on their cars though (and I used to be one of you), more power to you and you have my admiration.

Sorry to hear the cabin filter change experience in the F30 hasn’t improved at all from the E36 and E46. I did those a couple times then decided to hell with it and let my indy do them after that.
My dudes, it's 4 screws, unplug one light, pull out filter, put in filter.

The first time is difficult but after that it's 5 minute job
      02-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
XxThe_RemedyXx
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

The amount they charge to do this at the dealer is totally worth the hassle. I'm gonna tackle this in the Spring when it gets a bit warmer.
      02-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

This is a great video. 3:13 is the most critical step to reinstall the panel, this is German precision engineering so it cannot be any other way.

The first try took me 45 minutes, the last 30 minutes was to figure how to reinstall the panel. The second time took me 10 minutes.

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #9
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Trouble is the change interval is just too long for the desert environment. Changing more often gets pricey and inconvenient due to work. I could get the indy guy up the street from the office to do these things I suppose.

Below are pictures of the filters from my Xterra after 5 months. No, they don't come carbon impregnated and there was no off road driving in that period. We did have a bunch of fallout from the California fires. I've included a shot of the engine air filter for good measure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #10
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Dude E46(3 spring loaded tabs under the hood) cabin air filter change is much easier than E36(under glove box) right?

The E39 cabin air filter is also a breeze, with two latch secured air boxes right in the engine box. E60 requires a few screws but still easy access air box under the hood.

The E90 needs to remove a panel or two under the hood, but it is not too bad.

The F30 under-the-glove-box cabin air filter is PITA, in exchange though the AC fan is also relatively easy access without the need to tear down dash.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
agentorange
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
This is a great video. 3:13 is the most critical step to reinstall the panel, this is German precision engineering so it cannot be any other way.

The first try took me 45 minutes, the last 30 minutes was to figure how to reinstall the panel. The second time took me 10 minutes.
That's the vid I watched. Looking again I see how he slide the left side up and under. I always seemed to be pulling the panel back. The reason for that was that the power socket seemed to catch with the panel forward. Guess there is a precise sweet spot. If you watch the video carfeully you can see a cut after he reconnects the power socket. Suggests to me that the guy was having a similar issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:10 PM   #12
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Trouble is the change interval is just too long for the desert environment. Changing more often gets pricey and inconvenient due to work. I could get the indy guy up the street from the office to do these things I suppose.
BMW charcoal activated cabin air filter is around $35-$50 best price. Some ebay offers are $24 but it is unclear if those are genuine BMW parts.

There are after market (cheaper) ones but some of those cannot curve to fit into the air box so those are useless.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #13
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
That's the vid I watched. Looking again I see how he slide the left side up and under. I always seemed to be pulling the panel back. The reason for that was that the power socket seemed to catch with the panel forward. Guess there is a precise sweet spot. If you watch the video carfeully you can see a cut after he reconnects the power socket. Suggests to me that the guy was having a similar issue.
On my first try, 30 minutes were spent to feel the back and front tabs and positioning the power socket with the panel up on the right but all in vain.

Then I watched the video again and positioned the left side of the panel with the power socket in mind and the whole thing was snapped in place under 5 seconds.

This reminds me how my trusted indy replaced the turn signal mechanism under the steering column of my old E39. There were a few parts that fit just right and he juggled those like lego blocks and voila, everything fitted together.
Appreciate 0