BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Question 19" OEM Tires?

Just wondering which tires come with the stock 19" Performance Run-Flat or All Season Run-Flat options on the X3 M40i?

Do they vary a lot or is there a most likely candidate for each?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #2
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XGoober View Post
Just wondering which tires come with the stock 19" Performance Run-Flat or All Season Run-Flat options on the X3 M40i?

Do they vary a lot or is there a most likely candidate for each?
It varies

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #3
Bolt1949
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

Garage List
2024 BMW 40i  [0.00]
My 2018 m40i came with 245/50 R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/P RFTs. They work well enough, particularly during the rainy season in northern CA. I've put 10k miles on my original set and there's still plenty of tread left. It's certainly not a high performance street tire by any stretch. From what I've read in posts on this forum, examples on the lot at BMW dealerships seem to have All Season or Performance tires more so based on the region in country the G01 is sold in (e.g. performance on Texas cars and all season in northern CA). I bought my car off dealer inventory in Berkeley CA, versus ordering. If one's preference is better summer/dry performance and a less "SUV-like" driving experience, you might opt for the style 699M 20" wheels and whatever performance RTF's come OEM (Bridgestone Alenza RFTs?). Or the 21" :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 04:47 PM   #4
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys. I plan to stick with the 19" as I would prefer the more neutral handling you tend to get with a square setup. The roads around here can be a little bumpy at times too, so I suspect the lower profile 20s and 21s will not necessarily have the most pleasant ride, even in comfort.

Also, the 19s are cheaper :-)

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should go with the All-Season or Perf tires. I plan to install full winter tires during ski season (approx 5 months) and run the OEM tires for the remainder of the year. That would probably put about 17.5k miles on the OEM tires over the life of the lease. I would rather not have to replace them before handing it back. I'm guessing both tire options would survive that much mileage assuming I don't trash them on a regular basis (which I won't).

Lots of rain here in WA would nudge me towards the A/S but all that oopmh in the M40i is nudging me towards the Perf, lol. Decisions, decisions :-)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #5
lucojach
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Thanks guys. I plan to stick with the 19" as I would prefer the more neutral handling you tend to get with a square setup. The roads around here can be a little bumpy at times too, so I suspect the lower profile 20s and 21s will not necessarily have the most pleasant ride, even in comfort.

Also, the 19s are cheaper :-)

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I should go with the All-Season or Perf tires. I plan to install full winter tires during ski season (approx 5 months) and run the OEM tires for the remainder of the year. That would probably put about 17.5k miles on the OEM tires over the life of the lease. I would rather not have to replace them before handing it back. I'm guessing both tire options would survive that much mileage assuming I don't trash them on a regular basis (which I won't).

Lots of rain here in WA would nudge me towards the A/S but all that oopmh in the M40i is nudging me towards the Perf, lol. Decisions, decisions :-)
My M40i came with Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S, 245/50 R19 105H M+S. Delivered end of December.

Just got our first nail puncture today RFT were convenient. Will find out tomorrow how much to replace (assuming not repairable).
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
XGoober295.00
      02-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

My M40i came with the Bridgestone Allenza runflat performance (summer) tires. I had to order the summer tires to be able to spec the M Sport differential. I also ordered the spare tire option. I plan to replace the original tires when they are worn out with non-runflat Michelin or Continental performance all season tires.
      02-09-2019, 04:57 PM   #7
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calintexas View Post
My M40i came with the Bridgestone Allenza runflat performance (summer) tires. I had to order the summer tires to be able to spec the M Sport differential. I also ordered the spare tire option. I plan to replace the original tires when they are worn out with non-runflat Michelin or Continental performance all season tires.
How do you like the Bridgestones? Any experience in wet conditions?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 06:11 PM   #8
calintexas
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
How do you like the Bridgestones? Any experience in wet conditions?
They are fine so far. I only have a little under 600 miles on the car; so, it's really difficult to pass judgement on them. I've not driven them in the wet. The tread is open enough that I expect them to be ok until the tread is pretty worn down.

Of some interest, they are much lower cost on Tire Rack than the other available summer tires listed as OEM equipment for the car.
      02-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #9
XGoober
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

^ Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #10
BillD1953
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayareaX3m40i View Post
My 2018 m40i came with 245/50 R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/P RFTs. They work well enough, particularly during the rainy season in northern CA. I've put 10k miles on my original set and there's still plenty of tread left. It's certainly not a high performance street tire by any stretch. From what I've read in posts on this forum, examples on the lot at BMW dealerships seem to have All Season or Performance tires more so based on the region in country the G01 is sold in (e.g. performance on Texas cars and all season in northern CA). I bought my car off dealer inventory in Berkeley CA, versus ordering. If one's preference is better summer/dry performance and a less "SUV-like" driving experience, you might opt for the style 699M 20" wheels and whatever performance RTF's come OEM (Bridgestone Alenza RFTs?). Or the 21" :-)
Same here in Portsmouth NH.
245/50 R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/P RFTs
As of today, just hit 24,000 miles, mostly highway...rotated and balanced every 10,000.
Plenty of tread life left . Might change em out to a non run flat ultra all season @ 30,000-35,000 miles ? Depends on noise and ride quality as the miles tick by.
Decent enough tire.
Ride like rocks but the adapt suspension smooths em out.

Spent the last couple of weeks driving my 2015 MB 350 ML with 74,000 miles, non run flat Continental OEMs, on the 2nd set.

The ML tires feels like marsh mallows compared to the run flats on the M40i and it's not all suspension.

Bought a new 2007 335i cont vert coupe. 1st metal vert year I recall. The car came with Bridgestone run flats, early technology. I thought the tires rode decent until I put on a pr of General Altimax OEM size non run flats.
What an all together different car with the Generals. Smooth cushioned ride.

Last edited by BillD1953; 02-24-2019 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0