E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intake recommendations

02-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
bmwrip615
Rep
Drives: BMW 335!

Intake recommendations

Hello everyone so I am about to go crazy and do a lot of modifications to my E90. What would you guys recommend going with the Injen dual cone air intake or the racing dynamics carbon fiber air intake.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:09 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Well if you have no budget for the intake yeah the CF stuff looks nice.

If you are interested in getting FBO and all that all you really need is the dual cone intake.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

For most people? DCI's. I haven't seen any big power made on the fancy intakes (yet!).

I *have* seen a few guys run into flow issues with the Injen on larger turbos above ~20 psi, in that the same car instantly made 3 more psi and ~40 more whp on the same tune when it was taken off and DCI's put on. Back to back on the dyno. That is the definition of a flow restriction. If you aren't going to be north of 500 whp this becomes less important... but why pay extra for something that works worse?

If you want bling, I agree with Tony, a fancy forward facing intake manifold looks awesome. It won't do much for power but it DOES look great. Couple that with one of the new CF engine covers coming out (or an annodized billet valve cover.... which we make....) and you can have a very pretty engine bay.

Chris
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #4
bmwrip615
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@VargasTurboTech View Post
For most people? DCI's. I haven't seen any big power made on the fancy intakes (yet!).

I *have* seen a few guys run into flow issues with the Injen on larger turbos above ~20 psi, in that the same car instantly made 3 more psi and ~40 more whp on the same tune when it was taken off and DCI's put on. Back to back on the dyno. That is the definition of a flow restriction. If you aren't going to be north of 500 whp this becomes less important... but why pay extra for something that works worse?

If you want bling, I agree with Tony, a fancy forward facing intake manifold looks awesome. It won't do much for power but it DOES look great. Couple that with one of the new CF engine covers coming out (or an annodized billet valve cover.... which we make....) and you can have a very pretty engine bay.

Chris
Quote:

Chris
Okay that helps out a lot I've got to decide I want to push 500 and that's it and this will be my daily driven show car. Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #5
rediahad
Banned
Rep
Drives: E71, E93, E92

Quote:

Chris
does that same flow restriction go for the dinan intake? If so i'm getting rid of mine right now!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Afe momentum GT, proven gains on track & dyno. If you are down to spend money on a fancy CF, Dinan is another good performer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:09 PM   #7
Chris@VargasTurboTech
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: All Things TurboCharged

I haven't seen/tested the Dinan, so I'm not sure.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Dinan was one of those intakes that didn't gain too much popularity because of it's price point.

It was a good performer because of it's closed box style intake that drew in air not only from the stock scoop but an additional pipe and filter near the fog light area which was about 40 degrees cooler then the stock location (per Dinan).

So it had great flow and cool air that wasn't drawn in from the engine bay.

DCI have a purpose as well all now, they flow much better then the stock intake. Only way to out do them is to get cooler air, right?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
rediahad
Banned
Rep
Drives: E71, E93, E92

would you guys go with the Afe momentum GT over the dinan? it appears to me that they both do the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 03:45 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediahad View Post
would you guys go with the Afe momentum GT over the dinan? it appears to me that they both do the same thing.
I personally run the AFE but mainly cause even at wholesale dealer cost the Dinan is just too pricey. You'd be paying for a minimal performance gain on the Dinan, most of that cost is because of the CF.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #11
Julian2485
Major
Rep
Drives: Black lci e90 335 xdrive

What about Ecstuning intake ?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:17 PM   #12
bmwrip615
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian2485 View Post
Never heard of that one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #13
bmwrip615
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrip615 View Post
Quote:
Never heard of that one.
Oh yes I have lol not sure looking for reviews now.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #14
JM98
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

Just get whatever pleases you aesthetically, in real life they all perform about the same
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:20 AM   #15
Bimmer_Engineer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Garage List
Have you considered this?

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showt...hlight=Burrito

Highly recommended...

Don’t forget you could also add air scoops to this!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #16
bmwrip615
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post

Highly recommended...

Omg you got to be kidding wow!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 05:40 AM   #17
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Engineer View Post

Highly recommended...

Hahahaha I was trying to find it again.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:48 AM   #18
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrip615 View Post
Hello everyone so I am about to go crazy and do a lot of modifications to my E90. What would you guys recommend going with the Injen dual cone air intake or the racing dynamics carbon fiber air intake.
The Standard BMS / VRSF DCI is great.. Does the Job and very good price point..

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 09:53 AM   #19
gurusan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is E93

I preferred the look of the AFE and the fact that it's cold air...but the DCI is so inexpensive and has the most flow...I would spend more on a good FMIC for IAT reduction rather than worry about it at the filter.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
If you are referring to the ECS Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake CF intakes- they actually have the biggest ID's of any of the others thanks to the thin walled CF material. This is the offering I personally liked the best when I dug into this last year and while considering bang for the buck.

Sadly the AFE Magnum Force setup was a very thick lightweight plastic with very small ID's (significantly smaller than the OE airbox connection ID's), certainly not worth it for those looking to push large power IMO. Anyway perhaps the other AFE's such as the Momentum GT are larger ID'd and if not make up for that flow restriction in cool air. I couldn't get a direct answer on this and didn't feel like purchasing one only for the disappointment that I felt was going to be eminent based on the AFE Magnum Force outcome.

The ECS Tuning Kohlefaser Luft-Technik Intake CF inlet setups are what I'd eventually settled on for my recommendation outside of the standard DCI setups (ie. BMS, CP-E, etc).

Rob

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 02-15-2019 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 2
DM_e9219.50
      02-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #21
DM_e92
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

I've read so many post on DCI but it seems 50/50 in terms of if it is actually good or not. Some say all you get is hot air, some say it doesn't matter and as long as you have an upgraded intercooler and it is the "best bang for buck" Intake. Me personally, I felt like it was worse than my stock intake, so I took mines off and still use the stock intake with inlets. Plus a shop owner near me who has a few N54's and an M2 that he tracks told me he definitely does not like DCI on the N54. If I could Justify the $650 I would get the ECS intake or the Magnum Intake based off ******** BQ tunings test. But it seems it's only a few horse and torque to be gained over stock. So stock I stay until I'm ready to add some carbon under the hood.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 02:59 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM_e92 View Post
I've read so many post on DCI but it seems 50/50 in terms of if it is actually good or not. Some say all you get is hot air, some say it doesn't matter and as long as you have an upgraded intercooler and it is the "best bang for buck" Intake. Me personally, I felt like it was worse than my stock intake, so I took mines off and still use the stock intake with inlets. Plus a shop owner near me who has a few N54's and an M2 that he tracks told me he definitely does not like DCI on the N54. If I could Justify the $650 I would get the ECS intake or the Magnum Intake based off ******** BQ tunings test. But it seems it's only a few horse and torque to be gained over stock. So stock I stay until I'm ready to add some carbon under the hood.
I can say with the utmost confidence you'll find good gains getting rid of the stock intake, it's really a bottleneck up top. It's been proven before that the stock intake is quite restrictive. It just doesn't have the throughput. Your inlets do help for sure. The DCI and intake debates are, well let's say, old news. There are topics, discussions and data presented as far back as 10 years ago. Back when folks used to actually do comparative testing and datalogs. As you said BuraQ did some good controlled testing and proved a lot. That's why I run the AFE Momentum GT intake myself. I previously had ETS DCI and BMS DCI.
Appreciate 0