BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Question Considering xDrive40i M Sport... Need Input?

So we are strongly considering this SAV. This car is primarily for my wife and kids, but I will spend enough time behind the wheel to justify the decision making. She is VERY fond of (understatement!) of Range Rover (appearance. But who isn't?) and the Velar is definitely a strong consideration. Audi is simply too bland except for the Q8 which is gorgeous IMO! But Audi is NOT doing ANY sort of dealing or incentives whatsoever so that's a pass for me considering it's pricing of low 70's to $100kish firm with nothing from Audi.
I am REALLY liking several aspects of the new gen X5: Overall looks from every angle is Sexy AF to me. The interior and dash have finally gotten the treatment it deserves. That was one of the reasons it was not considered previously. The prior interiors were far too spartan.
All of the reviews online including driving, are very positive. Obviously I know the "first model woes" that can be had with ANY new gen car. We are Leasing so not really a concern unless it's just ridiculous headaches. Speaking of: What kind of Lease Deals did you get or seeing?
I am more interested with some of the "revelations" current owners have experienced? Plus and Minuses? City mpg? Road Noise? Handling/Acceleration? I'm a huge audiophile and is the base stereo sufficient? And more importantly, what other vehicles did you consider and cross shop? What were hit and misses of said vehicles? Particularly The Velar? The GLE is too funky looking from the rear to consider. But may consider a 2018 AMG spec if it can be found in the right color-combo.

As always, Thanks for the valuable input and opinions!

- Marcus
      02-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
mntbiker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5

Yea, I am also curious to hear anyone cross shopping the G05 with the Range Rover (full size). I am obsessed with the full-size RR looks (and, to a lesser degree, the Velar!). It's just really hard to justify spending upwards of $500+ per month MORE for a full-size lease compared to an equally equipped X5. I know most would say they are not technically in the same class...

I am currently driving a F15 X5 M Sport, with my lease ending in a few months. From all of my research comparing these two over the past few months, it seems like BMW has a major leg up on the technology compared to Land Rover, even the new dual screens in the Velar. Not to mention that BMW pricing is way better, since they're actually willing to discount their cars 5-8% off MSRP. There are some threads in here with lease deals. I'd expect to pay about $1050/mo for an $85k build.

My biggest hold up with the G05 is honestly the appearance. I'm still having a hard time getting over the front grills. I have test driven one and seem a bunch in person. It's just not pretty to me.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Porsche Boxster GTS

Garage List
  [0.00]
2022 Porsche Boxste ...  [0.00]
Tell her the Velar will be in the shop more than she will drive They have tons of software issues
2018 BMW M2 Mineral Grey(SOLD)
2019 BMW X5 50i Carbon Black/Tartufo (SOLD)
Appreciate 2
wrickem2101.00
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #4
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

We cross shopped Velar. While it looks sexier, it drove like a tank and didn't feel very lithe in terms of handling or acceleration. Additionally, there were two instances on our test drive where the touch screen was displaying something other than the function we wanted. This necessitated looking at it to make the change which was clumsy and a potential safety issue. One of the things we noticed and appreciated about the X5 is you have so many ways to control or access the same functions (iDrive controller, gesture control, voice commands, touch screen).

Based on your post, OP, I'm guessing you haven't driven one yet? We also shopped Q7 and GLE (2018). Nothing compared to the X5 in terms of how it drove. Despite its size and weight it seemed to disappear around us as it accelerated effortlessly and took corners with the agility of many sedans. Likewise, nothing compared to the X5 in terms of comfort and tech. BMW did a remarkable job with this vehicle and it shows in the reviews, but don't just take our word for it, go drive one!

I will add that the base stereo sounds very good for a base stereo; however, it doesn't have enough power to drive the speakers if 1. You really like loud music or 2. Like to drive with the windows down. We opted for the HK system because I'm some combination of the two preceding points. I will add that the HK system in the X5 sounds noticeably better than the HK system in my 340. If you're a hard core audiophile and have some extra coin for it, the BW may be the ticket.
Appreciate 2
TXSTYLE13912.50
cdbeach19.00
      02-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
The X5 does drive better than anything in it's class speaking from experience. I also drove the Velar, Q7, GLE etc and none were really in the same ballpark. BMW nailed it with their tech and interior despite the Velar looking really good. I have a 50i fully optioned and don't regret any of it. My review (linked in my signature) covers much of what you were asking about the X5 even though I have a 50i. There's enough if a similarly where you should get some useful information on the car anyway.

Do yourself a favor and drive one with the wife
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #6
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
We cross shopped Velar. While it looks sexier, it drove like a tank and didn't feel very lithe in terms of handling or acceleration. Additionally, there were two instances on our test drive where the touch screen was displaying something other than the function we wanted. This necessitated looking at it to make the change which was clumsy and a potential safety issue. One of the things we noticed and appreciated about the X5 is you have so many ways to control or access the same functions (iDrive controller, gesture control, voice commands, touch screen).

Based on your post, OP, I'm guessing you haven't driven one yet? We also shopped Q7 and GLE (2018). Nothing compared to the X5 in terms of how it drove. Despite its size and weight it seemed to disappear around us as it accelerated effortlessly and took corners with the agility of many sedans. Likewise, nothing compared to the X5 in terms of comfort and tech. BMW did a remarkable job with this vehicle and it shows in the reviews, but don't just take our word for it, go drive one!

I will add that the base stereo sounds very good for a base stereo; however, it doesn't have enough power to drive the speakers if 1. You really like loud music or 2. Like to drive with the windows down. We opted for the HK system because I'm some combination of the two preceding points. I will add that the HK system in the X5 sounds noticeably better than the HK system in my 340. If you're a hard core audiophile and have some extra coin for it, the BW may be the ticket.
Thank you! I was figuring to get all sorts of feedback to my post...

Great points indeed. Have not driven the G05 as of yet. But have driven plenty of previous gens 6 and 8 cylinder.
I have a associate who recently leased a Velar P380 who lives in So Cal, and loves it inside and out.
      02-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

I don't think you will be one bit disappointed in any way. The G05 drives and handles like a dream ...and the technology is leap years above any other modern day BMW (or anything else) that I've owned.

You and I have interacted enough over the years around here for me to know that you love style and beauty. I can promise you, this one's not one bit short on style or beauty, especially the interior with extended merino and leather dash.

I am laughing a little because you asked about the base sound. Mine's got base sound. Although the first box I always check is to upgrade to at least HK, I'm not mad at the sound of this base one at all. It's surprisingly clear and crisp, and it can be played loud enough to drown out my horrible singing. I'd still go with at least HK if I were to order one and can't give you a really good reason other than "I just would"

Go test one and see for yourself. I wasn't planning on replacing my 435 just yet, and especially not with a SUV, but when I drove the one that somebody ordered and cancelled, I knew it was what I never knew that I always wanted
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-11-2019, 02:49 PM   #8
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

I've been up close and inside the Velar but I haven't driven it yet. It's gorgeous inside and out. And although the dual screens are nice for me (I love tech!) they may be distractive for my wife.
BMW has done just enough to the exterior, to at least put it in our consideration. The interior also is a big step forward.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
I don't think you will be one bit disappointed in any way. The G05 drives and handles like a dream ...and the technology is leap years above any other modern day BMW (or anything else) that I've owned.

You and I have interacted enough over the years around here for me to know that you love style and beauty. I can promise you, this one's not one bit short on style or beauty, especially the interior with extended merino and leather dash.

I am laughing a little because you asked about the base sound. Mine's got base sound. Although the first box I always check is to upgrade to at least HK, I'm not mad at the sound of this base one at all. It's surprisingly clear and crisp, and it can be played loud enough to drown out my horrible singing. I'd still go with at least HK if I were to order one and can't give you a really good reason other than "I just would"

Go test one and see for yourself. I wasn't planning on replacing my 435 just yet, and especially not with a SUV, but when I drove the one that somebody ordered and cancelled, I knew it was what I never knew that I always wanted

Well stated! Thanks for the input. In terms of packages/options, what have you guys found particularly great or of considering?
Appreciate 1
wrickem2101.00
      02-11-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
The X5 does drive better than anything in it's class speaking from experience. I also drove the Velar, Q7, GLE etc and none were really in the same ballpark. BMW nailed it with their tech and interior despite the Velar looking really good. I have a 50i fully optioned and don't regret any of it. My review (linked in my signature) covers much of what you were asking about the X5 even though I have a 50i. There's enough if a similarly where you should get some useful information on the car anyway.

Do yourself a favor and drive one with the wife
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out it review.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:18 PM   #11
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out it review.
What part of TX are you in?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
BMPHIL
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 M60i

Is it just me that thinks the Velar looks like an evoque that has been sat on!.

I have had land rovers, don't go there unless you really want to get to know your dealer.
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2019, 03:33 PM   #13
CPTHALL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None

I started looking 8 months out. This was truly the best bang for the buck. I looked at all the vehicles you are considering and the new x5 can’t be beat. In sports plus mode with the throttle blipping 👍🏽. You will not find the tech and power and refinement for the price.
Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-11-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidRobot View Post
What part of TX are you in?
Suburbs of Dallas
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #15
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Suburbs of Dallas
There are a lot of members in that general area!
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #16
rebekahb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

In my search, I have driven just about every SUV.

RR Velar while it looks nice inside, the seats were not plush but rather stiff, uncomfortable, and was unimpressed with the pick up. The CA also sells Mazda and had me drive a CX-5 and honestly if I had to pick between the 2, the $32k Mazda would have been my choice over the Velar. I was impressed with the technology Mazda had for the price. Plus, I was at lunch and saw a Velar a few months old being picked up on a tow truck.

Infiniti's sound system was extremely better than the HK in the G05. Hell, the Sony in my Explorer Sport sounded better than the G05. Not impressed at all with HK. This won't keep me from buying a G05 but just can't justify the upgrade to whatever the name is. The AWD Infiniti QX50 drove much better than FWD QX50 but you can't even compare the engine to the G05. It was just too small. The QX60 is like a minivan with doors.

Audi Q7 also just looks like a minivan with doors. There was a minivan parked next to the Q7 and the side panels look the same to me. Underwhelmed with it. Q8, wasn't impressed enough to justify the cost on that thing with no wiggle room in negotiation. It was also a little smaller than what I wanted.

Drive wise, the 50i G05 has my vote. You barely tap the pedal and it just wants to go. The 40i definitely has get up and go but the 50i was just fun to drive. There are a few other minor annoyances I have with BMW interior/tech wise but it wins overall compared to everything else I drove.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #17
Bills Oil Company
Private
Rep
Drives: Newb

All Land Rover Products are beautiful pieces of garbage. I've never owned one because i'm smart enough to learn from my friends mistakes.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 11:20 PM   #18
TimT465201
2019 X5 40i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Oil Company View Post
All Land Rover Products are beautiful pieces of garbage. I've never owned one because i'm smart enough to learn from my friends mistakes.
A good friend of mine manages RR/Jag replacement parts warehouses in Asia..... I always joke with him that he has the most secure job in the automotive industry. RR's are wildly popular here......
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 12:52 AM   #19
thomas_Rp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05; 535 F10

Quote:
I'm a huge audiophile and is the base stereo sufficient?
If you have the money, audition the B&W speakers. They are incredible.

Appreciate 1
TXSTYLE13912.50
      02-12-2019, 02:23 AM   #20
NoCompromise
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 40i Msport, X6 M50D

I agree with the comments on the HK stereo - really is a nothing stereo. I would have gone with the B&W next time.

Land Rover's key issue is their engines. There are not fast, smooth, quiet or economical. Driving a full fat Range Rover you might as well be playing Forza at home for all the connection you have with the road and the surroundings. The G05 however is a more practical and [arguably] better looking Cayenne (not cheaper mind when you spec-up). I doubt you will have any question once you have driven it.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 07:38 AM   #21
AndroidRobot
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas_Rp View Post
Quote:
I'm a huge audiophile and is the base stereo sufficient?
If you have the money, audition the B&W speakers. They are incredible.

I second this, the Bowers and Wilkins system is simply amazing. You don't listen to music, you experience it
Appreciate 0