BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Roof rail/ rack options

02-11-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
natman316
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X2

Roof rail/ rack options

Hello

New X2 owner here. My X2 (like many) did not come with roof rails, what are the options for mounting a roof rack? Are there after market racks that work on the roof? Or do I need to retrofit rails

I'm not sure why BMW doesnt make the roof rack standard, this is supposed to be a "active vehicle" anyway? Even my friends M3 has a notch to mount racks!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #2
BlueX2
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 2018 - xdrive 28i

Retrofit - BMW does have rails available which you can order through your dealership, but there are certain models which are missing a component which will allow the rails to be installed on the car. Best to check with your dealership on the details.

Aftermarket - Both Thule and Yakima make rails for the car that are easily removable.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
natman316
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueX2 View Post
Retrofit - BMW does have rails available which you can order through your dealership, but there are certain models which are missing a component which will allow the rails to be installed on the car. Best to check with your dealership on the details.

Aftermarket - Both Thule and Yakima make rails for the car that are easily removable.
Thank you! Did not realize we can still put bars on without the rails.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2020, 12:57 PM   #4
xr7kid
Registered
Rep

For anyone else doing research on adding roof rails to their F39 X2:
I recently installed the factory rails, from the site in the hyperlink. BMW (PKF39ROOFRAILB). I used the instructions at Newtis.info and found that steps 1-12 are required. The other steps aren't required, you can access the studs on the roof rails pretty easily once steps 1-12 are complete. It's nice having a roof rack so I can sport in my SAV!

Hope this helps others.
Appreciate 2
      08-18-2020, 11:58 PM   #5
tkrave
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i (2019)

the webpage xr7kid posted is very helpful! All the information I need to know where the hidden clips are when removing panels and trims!

regarding BMW genuine roof rails, I asked two different local BMW dealers and both told me roof rails is "manufacturer option" meaning need to order when you purchase the car, cannot be installed at later time (at least for Japan this is the case)

Hence the best option for roof rack system on normal roof, you can get 3rd party kit from company like Thule:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...dr-suv-_-ZLuM#

The mounting kit 5165 is for X2, and the rest of the components are universal. You can find youtube videos on how these mounting kits that clamps to the roof and door-frame works.
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50
      08-19-2020, 06:12 AM   #6
seaton463
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW X2 M35i

I can speak from personal experience that the BMW factory rails can be installed by your dealer after the sale. I purchased a 2020 x2 m35 in June that lacked the rails. My dealer ordered and installed the rails noting that there is a BMW guidance document available to support the dealers work.

Last edited by seaton463; 08-19-2020 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
xr7kid
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaton463 View Post
I can speak from personal experience that the BMW factory rails can be installed by your dealer after the sale. I purchased a 2020 x2 m35 in June that packed the rails. My dealer ordered and installed the rails noting that their is a BMW guidance document available to support the dealers work.
That is correct. If I can do it the dealership definitely can do it, so it sounds like they don't consider it worthwhile for their level of effort.

The retrofit instructions can be found in my first hyperlink to the parts. The instructions basically give an outline of the procedure, then refer the tech to a specific ISTA/AIR number. Those ISTA/AIR numbers mostly correspond to the sections in the newtis website. For example the instructions say:

"Install the right roof rail A and left roof rail B as described in ISTA/AIR 51 13 307."

The section number in newtis is:
51 13 307 Remove and install/replace left or right roof rails (for version with panorama glass roof)
Appreciate 1
Will Pwr747.50
      08-19-2020, 08:13 PM   #8
tkrave
Japan
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i (2019)

yes, it seems at least in the states, and other part of the world some dealers will install roof rail for customers. For Japan, i think the dealers just dont want to deal with possible of water leak claims after they installed

I guess one can always order the parts and install themselves with the instruction page provided in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 11:32 PM   #9
Will Pwr
eM Power Me
Rep
Drives: '23 AW i4 eDrive40 M Sport

Garage List
Thanks to you both for the great info

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr7kid View Post
I recently installed the factory rails, from the site in the hyperlink. BMW (PKF39ROOFRAILB). I used the instructions at Newtis.info and found that steps 1-12 are required. The other steps aren't required, you can access the studs on the roof rails pretty easily once steps 1-12 are complete. It's nice having a roof rack so I can sport in my SAV!

Hope this helps others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrave View Post
the webpage xr7kid posted is very helpful! All the information I need to know where the hidden clips are when removing panels and trims!

regarding BMW genuine roof rails, I asked two different local BMW dealers and both told me roof rails is "manufacturer option" meaning need to order when you purchase the car, cannot be installed at later time (at least for Japan this is the case)

Hence the best option for roof rack system on normal roof, you can get 3rd party kit from company like Thule:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/roof-rac...dr-suv-_-ZLuM#

The mounting kit 5165 is for X2, and the rest of the components are universal. You can find youtube videos on how these mounting kits that clamps to the roof and door-frame works.
'20 Alpine White F97 ///X3MC
'20 Alpine White F39 ///X2 M Sport X
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #10
psiloman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

xr7kid I also need to install factory rails in an X1 but the link above with the instruction details does not look to work. Do you may have a downloaded version of the instructions that you can share with me? Would be very helpful.
Thank you
Appreciate 1
      06-29-2021, 12:06 PM   #11
xr7kid
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by psiloman View Post
xr7kid I also need to install factory rails in an X1 but the link above with the instruction details does not look to work. Do you may have a downloaded version of the instructions that you can share with me? Would be very helpful.
Thank you
psiloman,

I did not save any of the instructions. I never thought newtis would get taken down so didn't occur to me.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2021, 01:12 PM   #12
jmc777
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X2 M35i

I'm sure you probably ruled this out already, but you don't necessarily need the rails to add crossbars...

https://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1765325
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #13
psiloman
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

xr7kid no worries, thanks for feedback. I was told that these need to be installed with screws from the inside so need to remove the inside of the roof for that. Do you confirm that this is the case? Is it sth I would be able to do by myself or do I have to look for someone?
jmc777 you are right I have checked these out but I decided to go with roof rails because I was afraid on the way they would look plus that maybe they cause a damage by time to the door or the body. However I can say they look very nice in yours, if I had seen your pic maybe I would not have bought the roof rails.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2023, 04:44 PM   #14
Steven Mojica
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X2 xDrive28i

Installing Rails Myself

Quote:

Hope this helps others.
Thanks for the helpful info. I recently picked up a '21 X2 and want to install the rails. I ordered them with all the parts, a couple questions, tho. How much of the car interior did you have to remove? I know the headliner is an obvious. But did you have to remove the pillar covers all the way to the door foot plate too? And as far as parts go, I just ordered the rails and the 6 hex nuts. Did you need to replace the plastic clips and the rubber washers too? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 06:21 PM   #15
xr7kid
Registered
Rep

A little late responding but if I remember right the headliner stayed in place, just had to remove the grab handles and sun visors. The front and middle bolt were accessible after that. For the rear bolt, all of the trim in the back had to come out. It was a pain but not hard. Again Newtis has excellent instructions and graphics that show the process. It's probably worth the 25 or 30 bucks for a day pass to reference that information.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 06:47 PM   #16
Steven Mojica
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X2 xDrive28i

Quote:
A little late responding but if I remember right the headliner stayed in place, just had to remove the grab handles and sun visors. The front and middle bolt were accessible after that. For the rear bolt, all of the trim in the back had to come out. It was a pain but not hard. Again Newtis has excellent instructions and graphics that show the process. It's probably worth the 25 or 30 bucks for a day pass to reference that information.
Thanks, I have all the parts, I am actually doing it this Sunday. I may just get the day pass. My bro is a body man and works on BMWs so he swears we don't need it. Maybe if we hit a roadblock we can buy a quick membership. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0