BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M5 stock exhaust compared to M sport exhaust

02-16-2019, 08:57 AM   #1
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
M5 stock exhaust compared to M sport exhaust

M5 stock exhaust compared to M sport exhaust...

Just thought I would share this from the F90 M5 training manual. The M sport exhaust can be had on the First Edition M5 or as an accessory from the BMW M catalog and comes standard on the 2019 Competition M5

A sport exhaust system is available as optional equipment on the First Edition M5, as of market introduction.
The design of the sport exhaust system only differs from the production exhaust system in the internal
structure of the middle silencer. The inside of the middle silencer features a cross connection of the two exhaust pipes from bank 1 to bank 2, in addition to the perforated transitions. This design measure in the area of the middle silencer creates a sound pattern for the F90 with sport exhaust system that is considerably stronger, wider in bandwidth and more emotional compared to the production exhaust system.
A further, more emotional adaptation of the internal sound in the F90 with sports exhaust system is additionally achieved with a different tuning of the Active Sound Design ASD.
The sport exhaust system of the F90 features black chrome-plated tailpipe trims as an optical identifying feature.

What I didn't know is that it also has a different tuning for the ASD so it sounds different on the inside of the car as well as on the outside!

Just thought I would share!
soooma1376.50
zuschnell553.50
      02-16-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post

Just thought I would share this from the F90 M5 training manual. The M sport exhaust can be had on the First Edition M5 or as an accessory from the BMW M catalog and comes standard on the 2019 Competition M5

A sport exhaust system is available as optional equipment on the First Edition M5, as of market introduction.
The design of the sport exhaust system only differs from the production exhaust system in the internal
structure of the middle silencer. The inside of the middle silencer features a cross connection of the two exhaust pipes from bank 1 to bank 2, in addition to the perforated transitions. This design measure in the area of the middle silencer creates a sound pattern for the F90 with sport exhaust system that is considerably stronger, wider in bandwidth and more emotional compared to the production exhaust system.
A further, more emotional adaptation of the internal sound in the F90 with sports exhaust system is additionally achieved with a different tuning of the Active Sound Design ASD.
The sport exhaust system of the F90 features black chrome-plated tailpipe trims as an optical identifying feature.

What I didn't know is that it also has a different tuning for the ASD so it sounds different on the inside of the car as well as on the outside!

Disconnected ASD, total crap. Sounds better now.
Punitive147.00
      02-16-2019, 11:18 AM   #3
onfireX5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F90M5,F85X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNBMWM5 View Post
Disconnected ASD, total crap. Sounds better now.
Yep. Plus disconnected center resonator....MUCH better !
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #4
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post

X pipe it, I think it might be even better than sports exhaust! Per some members! Never heard the comp or the sport exhaust which are one and the same, and heard both are less dramatic than X Pipe
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 04:05 PM   #5
Elanderholm
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 MBB Competition

My m5c makes some crazy loud backfire/poping sounds. Parking garages are amazing and kind of hilarious. It’s way loud enough for me. I don’t need to be too annoying.
Appreciate 2
Neptune71432.50
josec704063.50
      02-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanderholm View Post
My m5c makes some crazy loud backfire/poping sounds. Parking garages are amazing and kind of hilarious. It’s way loud enough for me. I don’t need to be too annoying.
Same here lol