F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter tire/wheel question
GetBMWParts

02-16-2019, 11:48 AM   #1
Kevin_Talbot
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Winter tire/wheel question

Hello -

My 2014 F-30 335i x-drive sedan has the staggered 19" wheels (225/40-19 front, 255/35-19 rear) and has the m-sport breaks.

I am considering getting a second set of wheels for winter-only tires. I don't want to use the stock 19" staggered wheels as there are very few if any, choices in winter tires for those wheels. Due to this I want to get a second set of wheels/tires in 18". I need some feedback from other owners:

1) I have read here that 18" wheels are the minimum that will fit over the m-sport brakes. Are there specific brands of wheels that will or won't clear? Should I look only for OEM BMW 18" wheels or are aftermarket 18" alloy wheels going to clear?

2) Can I go with the same size front and rear and avoid the staggered setup for the 18" winter setup? A 225/45-18 tire is within 0.1% of the stock tire diameter. The BMW dealer told me the x-drive system needs front and rear tire OD within 1% to avoid issues so this is well within spec. Can I skip the staggered setup with a winter tire setup?

FYI, this is for occasional use only. I live in Seattle and would put them on only when traveling to areas where I know there will be snow or when snow is coming to Seattle. I don't plan to have them on all winter.

Thanks for any advice.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Interested! I'm in the same boat with my 435 that I just got. Wondering what wheel setup to go with for next years winter only.

Need some steelies for winter use only.

This Vancouver weather is tricky
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 03:16 PM   #3
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Yes, for winter tires you can definitely run a non-staggered setup. 18s are great. And yes all 18s won’t fit Mbrakes— OE will, as will a small selection of aftermarket wheels.

My F36X is shod with 245/40R18 PA4s all around on aftermarket wheels for winter duty.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
Kevin_Talbot
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodline129 View Post
Interested! I'm in the same boat with my 435 that I just got. Wondering what wheel setup to go with for next years winter only.

Tricky just like Seattle weather! We had 4-5 days of snow over the past two weeks. My summer Pirelli P-zeros were not a lot of fun in the snow, but the x-drive really helped to get the car going OK. Turning and stopping was a whole other kettle of fish.

My wife's FWD mini cooper with all season tires was almost impossible to drive but surprisingly my 335xi was not too bad. Just had to be super careful turning and braking and watch for icy spots.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2019, 06:06 PM   #5
Kevin_Talbot
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Yes, for winter tires you can definitely run a non-staggered setup. 18s are great. And yes all 18s won’t fit Mbrakes— OE will, as will a small selection of aftermarket wheels.

My F36X is shod with 245/40R18 PA4s all around on aftermarket wheels for winter duty.
Thanks for the feedback. New aftermarket wheels are typically less than used OEM wheels based on what I have seen so far. Maybe a dealer would have some new 18" takeoffs for a good price.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 12:14 PM   #6
bloodline129
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Talbot View Post
Quote:

Tricky just like Seattle weather! We had 4-5 days of snow over the past two weeks. My summer Pirelli P-zeros were not a lot of fun in the snow, but the x-drive really helped to get the car going OK. Turning and stopping was a whole other kettle of fish.

My wife's FWD mini cooper with all season tires was almost impossible to drive but surprisingly my 335xi was not too bad. Just had to be super careful turning and braking and watch for icy spots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Talbot View Post
Quote:

Yea i badly wanted to drive in it, I just wasn't sure what damn tires I got on the car. They are the RFT that come with it factory as dealer replaced them before I bought the car. They aren't any good in snow regardless of the xdrive. And I didn't want to risk the insurance issues if a accident did happen. Going to look into aftermarket 18s and winter tires for next winter 😇
Appreciate 0