E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Swapped out my passenger engine mount in about 45 minutes

02-16-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Swapped out my passenger engine mount in about 45 minutes

While looking through all the various DIYs for this, everyone made it seem like an impossibly difficult task. It was quite easy.

1. Raise car & remove splash shield
2. Loosen (but don't remove) driver's mount top nut
3. Remove passenger mount top nut
4. Crawl under car and remove two bottom mount nuts - preferably with air
5. Remove front sway bar (might be unnecessary if you aren't lowered. I am & have a thicker Eibach bar)
6. Remove steering rack
7. Use engine hoist to lift up engine. GO SLOW.
8. Once it is up enough just slip it out through the hole you created in steps 5&6.
9. Reverse to install

Was really rather easy. Hope this helps someone.
      02-16-2019, 09:05 PM   #2
Jklad
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wren57 View Post
While looking through all the various DIYs for this, everyone made it seem like an impossibly difficult task. It was quite easy.

1. Raise car & remove splash shield
2. Loosen (but don't remove) driver's mount top nut
3. Remove passenger mount top nut
4. Crawl under car and remove two bottom mount nuts - preferably with air
5. Remove front sway bar (might be unnecessary if you aren't lowered. I am & have a thicker Eibach bar)
6. Remove steering rack
7. Use engine hoist to lift up engine. GO SLOW.
8. Once it is up enough just slip it out through the hole you created in steps 5&6.
9. Reverse to install

Was really rather easy. Hope this helps someone.
It took me 45 minutes just to read this lol
      02-16-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
arkie6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thanks for the info. My '08 335i is at ~115,000 miles and I need to look at doing this.

Did you just replace the passenger side? Was your passenger mount failed or was this just proactive?

Would this technique work for the driver side as well?

Rather than an engine hoist, what about using a floor jack and a block of wood under the pan?

Did you go back with an OE or an upgraded engine mount?

What about your transmission mounts? Any need to loosen those to get more room when raising the engine? I thought I might just go ahead and replace those as well while I'm under there.

Did you loosen or check your intercooler hose connections? I've read some posts where the intercooler hose can pop off when the engine is lifted to change the mounts. I still have the stock intercooler and my thought would be to just release the spring clips to allow the engine to rise up without putting a strain on the hose and then once the engine is lowered and engine mounts tightened, then snap the intercooler hoses back in place.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 08:04 PM   #4
wren57
Roll Tide
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jklad View Post
It took me 45 minutes just to read this lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkie6 View Post
Thanks for the info. My '08 335i is at ~115,000 miles and I need to look at doing this.

Did you just replace the passenger side? Was your passenger mount failed or was this just proactive?

Would this technique work for the driver side as well?

Rather than an engine hoist, what about using a floor jack and a block of wood under the pan?

Did you go back with an OE or an upgraded engine mount?

What about your transmission mounts? Any need to loosen those to get more room when raising the engine? I thought I might just go ahead and replace those as well while I'm under there.

Did you loosen or check your intercooler hose connections? I've read some posts where the intercooler hose can pop off when the engine is lifted to change the mounts. I still have the stock intercooler and my thought would be to just release the spring clips to allow the engine to rise up without putting a strain on the hose and then once the engine is lowered and engine mounts tightened, then snap the intercooler hoses back in place.
Replaced both, but most people seem to have problems with the passenger side install. Same procedure worked on both. I thought I had a mount issue - turns out it was something else. Replaced with OEM, didn't touch trans mounts. And yes, I should've mentioned, my passenger side IC hose was disconnected as I was doing outlet install. Forgot about that, my B.
      02-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #5
JDang
Private
Rep
Drives: '07 335i

Planning on tackling this tomorrow with my revshift mounts, trans mounts, and M3 control arms. Thanks for sharing this guide.

I have an engine support bar, but I think it may be easier just to lift up the engine via the oil pan? Let me know, thanks.
      02-20-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Coupe

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDang View Post
Planning on tackling this tomorrow with my revshift mounts, trans mounts, and M3 control arms. Thanks for sharing this guide.

I have an engine support bar, but I think it may be easier just to lift up the engine via the oil pan? Let me know, thanks.
I just did my motor mounts a couple weekends ago. I would highly recommend using an engineer support bar and just dropping the subframe. It's a lot easier than it seems. You only need to remove the undercarriage splash shield and the 6 bolts that hold the subframe. From there lower it gently with a jack. The subframe with be supported by your control arms and from there you can wiggle the mounts out no problem. There are guides in the frame that allow the subframe to easily go back in place when you're done. Think all in all it took about 2.5 hours.
Appreciate 1
      04-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Ramm440
Rep
Drives: 09 328i sedan

Hi, Can you provide the item number of the support bar you used?
I did my daughters e46 a couple years ago and I thought the wife's 2009 328i would be easy too but from what I've read I'm a little apprehensive. Is it safe to place a jack under the oil pan and loosen the sub frame bolts more on one side at a time to gain clearance without a support brace?

Last edited by Ramm440; 04-13-2019 at 09:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #8
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm440 View Post
I did my daughters e46 a couple years ago and I thought the wife's 2009 328i would be easy too but from what I've read I'm a little apprehensive. Is it safe to place a jack under the oil pan and loosen the sub frame bolts more on one side at a time to gain clearance without a support brace?
I got the one from harbor freight and used the 20% off coupon. Not exactly sure what the part number is but it's pretty easy to find on their website
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
allcaps55
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramm440 View Post
As for the jack on the oil pan, as long as you use a block of wood and go slowly I think you'd be okay. For me, lowering the subframe was worlds easier than doing that. Just make sure to get an alignment after as I found out a couple weeks later my toe had been thrown out from the wrangling on the mounts and I had some uneven tire wear.
Appreciate 0