02-25-2019, 09:45 PM   #1
drilling
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV & BMW X5

Apple carplay and Rustproofing

Hi guys,

Just have 2 random questions.

I heard the new apple carplay is a huge improvement and I am actually getting a new Iphone just for wireless charging. Since my phone will be wirelessly charged, can I just bluetooth my phone to the car and start apple carplay? I really want to use Google map as my navigation over BMW one.

2nd question. I live in AB, which is one of the coldest region of Canada and there's snow everywhere. I know BMW X5 is a well built car, but is it worth doing aftermarket rustproofing of underbody panels? Yay or nay? Heard it may void warranty.

Thanks a lot guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
Charles549
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilling View Post
Hi guys,

I heard the new apple carplay is a huge improvement and I am actually getting a new Iphone just for wireless charging. Since my phone will be wirelessly charged, can I just bluetooth my phone to the car and start apple carplay? I really want to use Google map as my navigation over BMW one.

2nd question. I live in AB, which is one of the coldest region of Canada and there's snow everywhere. I know BMW X5 is a well built car, but is it worth doing aftermarket rustproofing of underbody panels? Yay or nay? Heard it may void warranty.

Thanks a lot guys!
Temper your excitement over Apple Carplay. It still sucks in the X5. You will likely be able to use google maps if you like them tracking all your movements.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50
      02-25-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:

I can only really comment on this one. In concept, yes, that is what you can do. However, the CarPlay integration is still a little buggy and the wireless charging does not work well for everyone (including me). My phone overheats and shuts down while wirelessly charging and running Google Maps on CarPlay. On a long road trip, it overheats about once an hour, so I have to take it off and let it cool.

When it's working, CarPlay is beautiful and especially Google Maps. It looks fantastic on the huge screen.

The bugs for me include random phone disconnects, voice control button not always passing through, slow or non responsive heads-up display, and some random glitchy behavior when having to switch to iDrive to access car functions.

Theoretically these issues should be improved with forthcoming software updates from both BMW and Apple.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 10:35 PM   #4
drilling
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda CRV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post
I can only really comment on this one. In concept, yes, that is what you can do. However, the CarPlay integration is still a little buggy and the wireless charging does not work well for everyone (including me). My phone overheats and shuts down while wirelessly charging and running Google Maps on CarPlay. On a long road trip, it overheats about once an hour, so I have to take it off and let it cool.

When it's working, CarPlay is beautiful and especially Google Maps. It looks fantastic on the huge screen.

The bugs for me include random phone disconnects, voice control button not always passing through, slow or non responsive heads-up display, and some random glitchy behavior when having to switch to iDrive to access car functions.

Theoretically these issues should be improved with forthcoming software updates from both BMW and Apple.
Are you serious? Honda figured this out. Why can't BMW figure this out ugh. What if Apple Carplay through charger? (I always found lightning cable connect apple carplay to be buggy with disconnects that piss me off, hence my obsession for wireless charging/carplay.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #5
bigrobb2
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5_CC View Post

I found the voice control issue happens to me when I put it to charge and Apple Pay is activated. Even after taking it off I have to make sure it isn’t on the Apple Pay screen and then the pass through voice works.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:45 AM   #6
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I got all excited today to discover I can resolve my CarPlay problem by just rebooting iDrive...sad..so sad...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:57 AM   #7
AdamL
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot guys!
Large parts of the X5 bodywork are now aluminium. Also the chassis is fully galvanised. I wouldn't have thought any additional rust proofing should be required. Can't remember the last time I saw a modern car with rust and I am in the UK where it rains all the time lol.
Appreciate 0