BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Has your engine seized/failed shortly after OFHG replacement?
Yes 1 20.00%
No 4 80.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

02-27-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Poll: Has anyone encountered a engine seizing/failure shortly after OFHG change?

Just doing a poll I am curious.

Or does the 1M Coupe not even have OFHG (oil filter housing gasket) issues?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:28 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Just doing a poll I am curious.

Or does the 1M Coupe not even have OFHG (oil filter housing gasket) issues?
I believe it's still an issue on 1M. Just most 1Ms aren't driven that much. I don't believe changing the oil gasket can seize an engine. There are only two scenarios I can imagine that would cause that:

1. The wrong gasket was used or incorrectly placed. I have seen heard of people using a close but incorrect gasket that is missing a hole or is
Significantly smaller and it reduces or
Stops oil flow after the repair so the engine starved for oil. Recently some Ford ST engine problems were attributed to an incorrect head gasket that was missing some coolant ports for example. This was done at the factory even. The gaskets are so close they didn't notice.

2. Gasket material, screw or other foreign object like a screw or washer fell into a port and blocked or broke something.

These are the only two scenarios that I can think of for this repair to cause an engine to cease.

A final scenario is that the leak was so bad that the car was run low on oil for a long time. Finally someone got around to fixing the leak but it was too late and the engine seized shortly after the repair. So it would seem that the repair caused it but not really. I saw this happen with a lady that had a leaky radiator for months and she would run the car when coolant would run out. Finally she got money to replace the radiator but shortly thereafter the head gasket went and she blamed the shop for the radiator repair. But the hadnhad already warped and was ready to go.

Did this happen to you? You replaced the gasket and motor seized?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

probably a problem related to not driving the car. as the years go by more and more of these 'sitting' 1Ms still start having issues like this. Solution? DRIVE!!
      02-27-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
probably a problem related to not driving the car. as the years go by more and more of these 'sitting' 1Ms still start having issues like this. Solution? DRIVE!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I believe it's still an issue on 1M. Just most 1Ms aren't driven that much. I don't believe changing the oil gasket can seize an engine. There are only two scenarios I can imagine that would cause that:

1. The wrong gasket was used or incorrectly placed. I have seen heard of people using a close but incorrect gasket that is missing a hole or is
Significantly smaller and it reduces or
Stops oil flow after the repair so the engine starved for oil. Recently some Ford ST engine problems were attributed to an incorrect head gasket that was missing some coolant ports for example. This was done at the factory even. The gaskets are so close they didn't notice.

2. Gasket material, screw or other foreign object like a screw or washer fell into a port and blocked or broke something.

These are the only two scenarios that I can think of for this repair to cause an engine to cease.

A final scenario is that the leak was so bad that the car was run low on oil for a long time. Finally someone got around to fixing the leak but it was too late and the engine seized shortly after the repair. So it would seem that the repair caused it but not really. I saw this happen with a lady that had a leaky radiator for months and she would run the car when coolant would run out. Finally she got money to replace the radiator but shortly thereafter the head gasket went and she blamed the shop for the radiator repair. But the hadnhad already warped and was ready to go.

Did this happen to you? You replaced the gasket and motor seized?
Hey guys thanks for chiming in. No it did not happen to me nor I own a 1M. I'm just comparing my car (335is bascially same engine N54T) with N55s because there seems to be an issue and I was curious if it's a rod bearing manufacturing thing or another variable.

Like it's just for peace of mind to myself. And it seems I'm going to be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 04:23 PM   #5
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey guys thanks for chiming in. No it did not happen to me nor I own a 1M. I'm just comparing my car (335is bascially same engine N54T) with N55s because there seems to be an issue and I was curious if it's a rod bearing manufacturing thing or another variable.

Like it's just for peace of mind to myself. And it seems I'm going to be fine.
The 1M and/or the 135i's(both N54 and N55's) do not have rod bearing or engine bearing issues.

That's only an e9x M3 and e60 M5 "thing". Basically those V8 and V10 engines were built very "tight" and the super thick 10W60 oil is just way too thick. Most guys in mild climates are using a 5w30 synthetic oil in those M cars. And having one's engine oil analyzed can help determine when your rod bearings are wearing out.

There have only been a handful of engine failures on the N54/N55 engines... and all of the ones I have seen were when the owners ran a piggy back tune and were running in excess of 22 psi. The BMW DME maps only provide fuel up to 18 psi(I believe). And no piggy back tune can add fuel. They only "trick" the engine into running more boost.

Replacing the OFH on a 1M or 135i/335i will not result in an engine failure.

I have seen some guys post about an engine failure after carbon cleaning done by a indi shop or "friend"... this is bc the tech wasn't careful about putting each cylinder to TDC and they used crushed walnut shells that got into the engine and caused engine failure. But again this has only been the case with a handful of owners. Now a days I think most shops use a chemical cleaner like "CRC's GDI Intake Cleaner" or the like.

Dack
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00
nachob2307.00
      02-27-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
The 1M and/or the 135i's(both N54 and N55's) do not have rod bearing or engine bearing issues.

That's only an e9x M3 and e60 M5 "thing". Basically those V8 and V10 engines were built very "tight" and the super thick 10W60 oil is just way too thick. Most guys in mild climates are using a 5w30 synthetic oil in those M cars. And having one's engine oil analyzed can help determine when your rod bearings are wearing out.

There have only been a handful of engine failures on the N54/N55 engines... and all of the ones I have seen were when the owners ran a piggy back tune and were running in excess of 22 psi. The BMW DME maps only provide fuel up to 18 psi(I believe). And no piggy back tune can add fuel. They only "trick" the engine into running more boost.

Replacing the OFH on a 1M or 135i/335i will not result in an engine failure.

I have seen some guys post about an engine failure after carbon cleaning done by a indi shop or "friend"... this is bc the tech wasn't careful about putting each cylinder to TDC and they used crushed walnut shells that got into the engine and caused engine failure. But again this has only been the case with a handful of owners. Now a days I think most shops use a chemical cleaner like "CRC's GDI Intake Cleaner" or the like.

Dack
Yeah I agree like from a truly rod bearings perpective E90 M3 and the V10 m5 for sure.

But I've been on E90 post and a few people have got engines go bad after OFHG work. Hell, even some BMW tech on Reddit say the N55s are grenading themselves and replacement N55s are on backorder right now. They're not running crazy PSI and some "normal" used X5s

Like there is definitely a problem IMO but I was just trying to gun it down either a yearly production defect or something strictly on the N55 and I think it's really just N55 at this point if you guys haven't seen anything.

That said I think I'm good to enjoy my car without worries
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00