F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple CarPlay vs Connective drive
ARMA SPEED

02-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #1
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Hey everyone!
I'm considering retrofitting car play into my f32 435. For the people who have it from the factory do you actually use it? I use primarily my bmw connected and in car USB audio. I like the car play on other cars I've used, but since I already have a form of Navi and phone controls I'm unsure I'd actually use it. I'm curious if people use both, or one or the other! I would be installing a MMI car play type device, since my car is a 2014. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:15 PM   #2
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Apple Car play is so badly integrated that it is actually useless! I have tried it a couple of times and every time I ended up just disconnecting it! Not sure what value it is supposed to add either. Unless you are planning to use your phone's navigation because you have none in your car - everything else is integrated enough simply over bluetooth.
      02-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Apple Car play is so badly integrated that it is actually useless! I have tried it a couple of times and every time I ended up just disconnecting it! Not sure what value it is supposed to add either. Unless you are planning to use your phone's navigation because you have none in your car - everything else is integrated enough simply over bluetooth.
Yeah which is understandable because you can access playlists (if you use Apple Music) through IDrive w/o CarPlay. I do have nav too.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #4
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

If it was properly integrated one could at least have it there for the sake of it...
Since it is however so badly done and e.g. interrupts your multimedia every time something happens on your phone, it just asks to be disabled by default.
      02-28-2019, 07:56 PM   #5
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
If it was properly integrated one could at least have it there for the sake of it...
Since it is however so badly done and e.g. interrupts your multimedia every time something happens on your phone, it just asks to be disabled by default.
See I would use it to play my music as well, I mostly use USB audio, with sometimes satellite radio
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:57 AM   #6
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep

Why not over Bluetooth?
      03-01-2019, 04:51 AM   #7
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenault View Post
Hey everyone!
I'm considering retrofitting car play into my f32 435. For the people who have it from the factory do you actually use it? I use primarily my bmw connected and in car USB audio. I like the car play on other cars I've used, but since I already have a form of Navi and phone controls I'm unsure I'd actually use it. I'm curious if people use both, or one or the other! I would be installing a MMI car play type device, since my car is a 2014. Thank you!
I have the NBT factory nav and last year installed the MMI box (from Unique AD).

I personally always use Carplay now - Waze for navigation and Spotify/Tunein/Pocket Cast for music/radio/podcast. The MMI box works well, apps are an improvement to the factory nav/traffic/speedcam and radio, and no change on phone features (Siri can read messages).

Because NBT is still there then my wife still uses it - so is still good that NBT remain "untouched" and available if/when needed. Could be useful if we get to an area without 4G coverage... suppose unlikely but still possible...

The MMI box is cheap enough and the upgrade recommended in my view.
Appreciate 1
      03-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #8
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhenault View Post
Hey everyone!
I have the NBT factory nav and last year installed the MMI box (from Unique AD).

I personally always use Carplay now - Waze for navigation and Spotify/Tunein/Pocket Cast for music/radio/podcast. The MMI box works well, apps are an improvement to the factory nav/traffic/speedcam and radio, and no change on phone features (Siri can read messages).

Because NBT is still there then my wife still uses it - so is still good that NBT remain "untouched" and available if/when needed. Could be useful if we get to an area without 4G coverage... suppose unlikely but still possible...

The MMI box is cheap enough and the upgrade recommended in my view.
I have sprint and live in New England so sadly I don't have LTE half of me way to work and when I don't have lte there's usually zero cell coverage. But around town I do like the ideas of answering messages and such. I believe I have NBT as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Why not over Bluetooth?
I've noticed the sound quality kinda jumping around, like it'll sound like it's bad streaming sometimes even though my music is all saved onto my iPhone when this happens.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #10
ZippySLC
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i

I'm going to be buying the Carplay box, probably from Unichip. I recently rented a VW Golf that had Carplay that I loved, so I definitely want it in my BMW. The iDrive stuff is okay, but I hate the nav (NBT) and the media player is meh. Once I get Carplay I will probably stay in it all the time.

Besides a <$500 investment to add it isn't the end of the world.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #11
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippySLC View Post
I'm going to be buying the Carplay box, probably from Unichip. I recently rented a VW Golf that had Carplay that I loved, so I definitely want it in my BMW. The iDrive stuff is okay, but I hate the nav (NBT) and the media player is meh. Once I get Carplay I will probably stay in it all the time.

Besides a <$500 investment to add it isn't the end of the world.
I remember seeing a forum post on here that I think bimmertech was working on one too, I'll see if I can find the post
Edit
BimmerTech CarPlay MMI - Unboxing and Installation https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1528963
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:29 PM   #12
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Unique claims to have MMI wireless available for the smaller screen size

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carp...ies-2013-2016/
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #13
bhenault
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Unique claims to have MMI wireless available for the smaller screen size

https://unique-ad.co.uk/product/carp...ies-2013-2016/
That makes sense, I have the larger screen. The post I saw before the OP had the large screen as well. (Sorry I'm not familiar with the packages for interiors)
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:22 PM   #14
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
I've done the Evo upgrade in my car, and i tend to use carplay for all of my music, google maps when i am navigating during rush hour and want more up to date traffic, and idrive navigation the rest of the time.
I'm definitely a fan overall, and find the integration to be better than the android boxes.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 08:42 AM   #15
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilord View Post
I've done the Evo upgrade in my car, and i tend to use carplay for all of my music, google maps when i am navigating during rush hour and want more up to date traffic, and idrive navigation the rest of the time.
I'm definitely a fan overall, and find the integration to be better than the android boxes.
Carplay MMI option does not require Android box (despite the box itself based off another Linux box)

There are of course the take away when upgrading the head unit but the cost to that could be an issue to a lot of modifiers
Appreciate 0