BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > HELP PLEASE Transmission failed while flashing GTS transmission from Bootmod3

03-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #1
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: M2

HELP PLEASE Transmission failed while flashing GTS transmission from Bootmod3

Hello.

I am a newbie when it comes to tuning or flashing tunes and usually get help. recently I've become comfortable flashing my M2 from Bootmod3.net. I previously faced no issues going from stock to stage 2 and back. Also, I tried the GTS transmission flash through OBD (which I loved). A couple of weeks ago I returned my car to 100% stock including the hardware. And today I was planning to go back to stage 2. I installed the Downpipe and charge pipe and tuned the car to stage 2 as usual without any issues. The only thing I did different was configure the OTS map to have a lower RPM cold start. After flashing without issues I tried to flash the GTS transmission and it failed. I tried going back to stock and that also failed. I think my car does not have neither stock nor GTS tune now. I cleared errors in diagnostics, reset ECU, went back to stock tune and then tried to flash the transmission back to stock, also with no avail. I tried everything and it won't work. my car starts but transmission doesn't work, its stuck in neutral (P?).

Someone please help me. I don't think its a connection issue or battery because I managed to go from stock to stage 2 and back a couple of times, it accepts the tunes without issues, except the transmission.

Thank you,
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #2
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Do you have a 60A+ power supply connected while flashing?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Do you have a 60A+ power supply connected while flashing?
No but it did not cause any issues with the OTS maps, could that be the case and would using one now potentially resolve the issue?
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
While flashing ECU's you should always have a VERY beefy power supply connected. Problem is that they can brick if a voltage drop happens during flashing. So it could be too late already.

I would definitely try flashing the transmission again while having at least a 60A psu connected, if available better 70A or even 80A.

Definitely worth a shot!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
While flashing ECU's you should always have a VERY beefy power supply connected. Problem is that they can brick if a voltage drop happens during flashing. So it could be too late already.

I would definitely try flashing the transmission again while having at least a 60A psu connected, if available better 70A or even 80A.

Definitely worth a shot!
Thank you, will give it a try. Can you explain more on the brick and what you mean when you say it could be too late already? I want to be prepared for the worst.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
At least the engine ECU's are pretty picky... voltage drop during flashing can destroy them.

I could imagine other ECU's don't like voltage drops during writing operations as well.

Also check all info's abou that ECU you can find. Might be there is something „unusual" needed to successfully flash it?

I once had an E39 M5 stuck in my garage for three weeks. I thought i killed the ECU but actually it was „by design" that a particular other ECU had to be disconnected to successfully flash it, so all was good in the end...
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Hope you get it fixed OP!

Please let us know what it took to get the transmission functional again.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

OP have you raised a support ticket on BM3 support page?

I think they need to advise you.

Yes as mentioned (and as stated by BM3 instructions) you should have a battery charger connected when flashing dme etc.

5 Amp is fine, I use CTEK 5Amp charger, you're not starting the engine with it, just keeping volts stable.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #9
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Definitely start a support ticket with BM3. Those guys are awesome and will try their best to help you out.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

So what was the resolution on this issue? Did you get the transmission fixed?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
MYK
///MYK
Kuwait
Rep

Hello everyone. It’s been a frustrating couple of days. Got some great support from BM3 and they spent a good couple of hours with me but without luck. Their servers keep showing that i have bad internet. I tried 3 different routers/ISPs. Then one last try with good internet, a charger and after resetting the DME it worked! I now have a stage 2 tune flashed with stock transmission. Too scared to try again the GTS transmission mod. I think I will keep it for a couple of weeks because I have a track day coming up then will bring the car back to stock.

On a side note, I don’t have an intercooler installed and Kuwait is quite a hot country. Current mods are Downpipe, charge pipe and intake. While the recommended hardware for stage 2 is Downpipe and intercooler (FMIC). Should I be concerned or is it okay?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #12
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYK View Post
Hello everyone. It’s been a frustrating couple of days. Got some great support from BM3 and they spent a good couple of hours with me but without luck. Their servers keep showing that i have bad internet. I tried 3 different routers/ISPs. Then one last try with good internet, a charger and after resetting the DME it worked! I now have a stage 2 tune flashed with stock transmission. Too scared to try again the GTS transmission mod. I think I will keep it for a couple of weeks because I have a track day coming up then will bring the car back to stock.

On a side note, I don’t have an intercooler installed and Kuwait is quite a hot country. Current mods are Downpipe, charge pipe and intake. While the recommended hardware for stage 2 is Downpipe and intercooler (FMIC). Should I be concerned or is it okay?
You need a FMIC for stage 2 especially in your hot climate. The stock FMIC can barely even keep up on stock tune
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:

If it's an S55 M2C then it's probably fine. If it's and N55 M2 then you are going to want that FMIC especially for the track.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2019, 08:57 PM   #14
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:

Charger is important!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #15
mrkmtchll
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Edition Velocity

OP, I was hoping you could elaborate on your troubleshooting. I am currently in the same boat. I tried flashing from GTS to stock and it fails when it tries to clear codes from the ECU. Like yours, It will turn on but its stuck in P. I do have a trouble ticket in with PTF’s but I figured I’d take the weekend to troubleshoot on my end. The battery is holding at 12V with a 30A boost, norton and windows defender are disabled, my router is about 20 feet away from the car, running OBD agent of 20.005. I’ve flashed many times before with no issues. What do you think was the final solution to get your flash to take. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #16
strongasdeath
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83

Hey mrkmtchll , any progress from your side? In the same boat here. BM3 is saying it is probably battery (I wasn't using a charger). However, I had flashed a map just before without issue, but the GTS transmission failed. Annoyingly I can't drive the car anywhere now. Considering get it towed to a shop. Let me know how you got on please!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
speedsnice
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Isn’t the GTS transmission flash meant for older vehicles 2018 and older?
I thought the CS transmission flash is for the 2019 and up DCT vehicles?
      08-06-2020, 09:31 PM   #18
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

I bet you he won't do this again. I'm not a huge fan of any of these flash tunes just keep it stock dude enjoy your car
Appreciate 1
Fuji550i388.00
      11-30-2022, 11:10 PM   #19
iisaacc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkmtchll View Post
OP, I was hoping you could elaborate on your troubleshooting. I am currently in the same boat. I tried flashing from GTS to stock and it fails when it tries to clear codes from the ECU. Like yours, It will turn on but its stuck in P. I do have a trouble ticket in with PTF’s but I figured I’d take the weekend to troubleshoot on my end. The battery is holding at 12V with a 30A boost, norton and windows defender are disabled, my router is about 20 feet away from the car, running OBD agent of 20.005. I’ve flashed many times before with no issues. What do you think was the final solution to get your flash to take. Thanks in advance.
Were you able to find a fix? I’m in the same boat now and I’m really stuck. Using MHD at the moment and in an underground parkade so no internet.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2022, 08:39 AM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Get the CSF intercooler.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:30 AM   #21
t140i
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongasdeath View Post
Hey mrkmtchll , any progress from your side? In the same boat here. BM3 is saying it is probably battery (I wasn't using a charger). However, I had flashed a map just before without issue, but the GTS transmission failed. Annoyingly I can't drive the car anywhere now. Considering get it towed to a shop. Let me know how you got on please!

Cheers
I’ve been looking for the same answer and could not find anything on the forums. After much digging around my local area I finally got the issue resolved. I thought this would help someone else in the same situation as me. I got it fixed by @247coding

He offered to do it remotely for me but I did not have the equipment laptop etc I met him in person and he had my car going into gear and everything fixed within the hour.
Hopefully helps someone else out in the same boat as I was.

Here’s his contact Number/WhatsApp +44 7398 936603
Appreciate 0