E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > I need help!

03-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #1
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

I need help!

Hello all, last night I was driving to my buddies house, went for a light acceleration, annnnd my check engine light comes on. Immediately after, my car starts to jerk back and forth, felt like it was coming from the motor. after that I park the car, pop the hood, checked belts, fluids etc and didnt see anything. flash my hazards and started driving again. Kept the car at around 45mph, maybe 3 minutes after that, the check engine light goes off and the car drives like normal. Well today I take it to the shop, and the scan tool read "misfire on cylinder 4." Im assuming that im gonna need spark plugs, but I have seen some stories about oil leaking getting on to the spark plug, and something about spark plug gap. If anyone has been in this similar situation or can help me out with this, your the bomb. I love my car and I wanna take care of it as much as I can. Thank you.
Edit: The car is bone stock with Bolt ons on the way
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:14 PM   #2
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_s335 View Post
Hello all, last night I was driving to my buddies house, went for a light acceleration, annnnd my check engine light comes on. Immediately after, my car starts to jerk back and forth, felt like it was coming from the motor. after that I park the car, pop the hood, checked belts, fluids etc and didnt see anything. flash my hazards and started driving again. Kept the car at around 45mph, maybe 3 minutes after that, the check engine light goes off and the car drives like normal. Well today I take it to the shop, and the scan tool read "misfire on cylinder 4." Im assuming that im gonna need spark plugs, but I have seen some stories about oil leaking getting on to the spark plug, and something about spark plug gap. If anyone has been in this similar situation or can help me out with this, your the bomb. I love my car and I wanna take care of it as much as I can. Thank you.
First things first.

If you plan to diagnose your own car, get some BMW specific diagnostic tools. If not, find a mechanic that you trust.

Check the most probable item first, swap the ignition coil with another cylinder and see if the problem follows the coil or stays with the cylinder. You need one tool and five minutes to swap a coil.

Sounds like a coil but If the problem stays with the cylinder, then start looking at injectors.
Appreciate 1
studio54201.00
      03-03-2019, 10:46 PM   #3
Edris335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Jet Black E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjahl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_s335 View Post
First things first.

If you plan to diagnose your own car, get some BMW specific diagnostic tools. If not, find a mechanic that you trust.

Check the most probable item first, swap the ignition coil with another cylinder and see if the problem follows the coil or stays with the cylinder. You need one tool and five minutes to swap a coil.

Sounds like a coil but If the problem stays with the cylinder, then start looking at injectors.
why wouldn't you look at spark plugs after coils instead of immediately going to injectors?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 11:43 PM   #4
Unknown_Car
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Few and diffrent

Quote:
First things first.

You skiped spark plugs. OP after coils take a look on the plugs.
DocRace 6266 single turbo.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:03 AM   #5
rjahl
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 Z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma_335i View Post
Quote:
First things first.

You skiped spark plugs. OP after coils take a look on the plugs.
You're correct, my mistake. Check plug before looking at the injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:11 AM   #6
Wolf 335
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

When this happened to me it was a failed injector.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 09:57 AM   #7
sam_s335
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi

Quote:
You're correct, my mistake. Check plug before looking at the injector.
Thank you, after driving this weekend the car has been driving like normal, no check engine light and the car never entered limp mode. Still getting it checked out tomorrow to fix this.
Appreciate 0