E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > are these problems or is it normal w/ the xi?

07-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

are these problems or is it normal w/ the xi?

not sure if this is related to my car being an xi or not, but is it normal for the car to make a "clunk" or "duuunk" noise in reverse? usually a 1 time thing when backing out of the garage or a parking spot. Not sure if turning the wheel at the same time causes it, but definitely in reverse.

Also, is it normal for the 335xi to sound like it's sputtering on initial startup in the morning? After warming up it seems to run normal.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2008, 05:30 PM   #2
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Mine has a fast idle at startup but no sputter.

Sometimes a clunk when accelerating from zero when car is cold and shifting from R to D. Once warm no issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
BavarianBullet
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakine View Post
not sure if this is related to my car being an xi or not, but is it normal for the car to make a "clunk" or "duuunk" noise in reverse? usually a 1 time thing when backing out of the garage or a parking spot. Not sure if turning the wheel at the same time causes it, but definitely in reverse.

Also, is it normal for the 335xi to sound like it's sputtering on initial startup in the morning? After warming up it seems to run normal.

Thanks
How old is your car? Did it clunk since they day you bought it or did it start one day? An mods, suspension in particular?

If it started on it's own it might be something to look into but unless it's pretty significant I would imagine it's not that unusual.

My car idles ok on startup but it's very jerky for the 1st minute or so after startup when in 1st and 2nd gear. I've never been in a new car that acted like this so I'm inclined to let it go since it appears to be a cold-start issue only. Probably just another piece of BMW software stupidity that they will hopefully fix in a future release.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

my front end is making clicking noises sounds like half shafts are wearing out WTF
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

No clicking noises here, I recommend get that checked.

GL
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2008, 10:00 AM   #6
Dubbedoutbimmer
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335XI Coupe Loaded w/body kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg View Post
No clicking noises here, I recommend get that checked.

GL
I plan too this week
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2008, 04:17 PM   #7
dakine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mineral white e92 M3

I just finished breaking it in. Got almost 2500 km on there. I noticed that the rough idle went away when I pressed the clutch in and put it in reverse (without disengaging the clutch). I then kept the clutch depressed and put it into neutral, and the rough idle stopped.
Also, the clunk only happens sometimes in reverse. I think I'm going to take the car in to BMW to look at it. At least there'll be a record of it if something goes wrong in the future.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 04:22 PM   #8
nycbr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 TiAg 328xi

Sorry to bring up old news but I did a search and your post came up. Did you ever get that thunk checked out on the XI? I get a similar noise in reverse. Thanks!
Appreciate 0