E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Turbo leaking oil and other problems

03-09-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
IFLY8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

2008 335xi. 82k miles, loaded and 9.5/10 excellent condition well maintained on mx and repairs. Have seen very small oil spot on my garage floor and been smelling burning oil from the cabin air (not such that makes you open a window). Always dealer maintained and of course my Route 66 is gone because I maxed it out.

Had it in for the blower motor recall -done.

Dealer says turbo leaking oil and is why the odor in the cabin. $8k to replace both turbos or $3,300 to replace the bank 2 pipe.

I don't know WTF to do aside from the no brainer to 8k!! Frankly I am ready to get another (non-BMW) ride that is new because the repairs on my nice BMW are getting crazy when something comes up. Don't need advise on this option.

Oh yeah, and they said the idler pulleys and belt should be replaced. $975 !!

Soon as I can find a reliable independent shop near me I'll get a second opinion.

Can I continue to drive it like this for a few months like I have been already? Should I replace the turbos at a good shop for what sounds like from these posts for $3k and up. Replace the bank pipe only? Or what? Interested in hearing opinions from you cats. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 01:34 PM   #2
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Lot of confusing info here.

Quote:
Dealer says left turbo leaking onto cat and is why the odor in the cabin. $8k to replace both or $3,300 to replace bank 2 pipe.
"Left" turbo? The turbos are on the right side, and they are front or back (bank 1 and 2 respectively). Also, if the turbo is leaking oil, how is it getting outside the exhaust pipe "onto" the cat? Oil feed line leaking? If it's leaking internally, you would only see oil burning from the tailpipe.

Maybe it's not the turbo, but the valve cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust. When mine leaked, you could see oil on the cat from underneath.

Quote:
Just do this yourself or go to an indy. You probably should do this since you're at 82k, but $1k is ridiculous for the belt. It's $120 in parts, and maybe 1-2 hours of labor.

Quote:
Can I continue to drive it like this for a few months like I have been already? Should I replace the turbos at a good shop for what sounds like from these posts for $3k and up. Replace the bank pipe only?
I wouldn't drive it if you see smoke from the engine bay or from outside the car. There is a fire risk if you do that. Not sure what they mean by the "bank 2 pipe", do they mean the oil feed line?
      03-09-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
IFLY8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift_downshift View Post
Lot of confusing info here.

Quote:
Dealer says left turbo leaking onto cat and is why the odor in the cabin. $8k to replace both or $3,300 to replace bank 2 pipe.
"Left" turbo? The turbos are on the right side, and they are front or back (bank 1 and 2 respectively). Also, if the turbo is leaking oil, how is it getting outside the exhaust pipe "onto" the cat? Oil feed line leaking? If it's leaking internally, you would only see oil burning from the tailpipe.

Maybe it's not the turbo, but the valve cover gasket leaking onto the exhaust. When mine leaked, you could see oil on the cat from underneath.

Quote:
Just do this yourself or go to an indy. You probably should do this since you're at 82k, but $1k is ridiculous for the belt. It's $120 in parts, and maybe 1-2 hours of labor.

Quote:
Can I continue to drive it like this for a few months like I have been already? Should I replace the turbos at a good shop for what sounds like from these posts for $3k and up. Replace the bank pipe only?
I wouldn't drive it if you see smoke from the engine bay or from outside the car. There is a fire risk if you do that. Not sure what they mean by the "bank 2 pipe", do they mean the oil feed line?
Thanks for your reply. As for the left and cat statements that's what the SA said. I don't think he knows. I just looked at the service report and it says repair or replace both turbos . 8k. Also says blank 2 inlet pipe leaking $3,300. I don't have any smoke and the odor is light and the oil drop is undetectable. Does this make more sense? My car runs fine and the turbo works great.

Oh, and it says the blower motor makes noise and that will be $661.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 02:08 PM   #4
upshift_downshift
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM 07 E90 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFLY8 View Post
Thanks for your reply. As for the left and cat statements that's what the SA said. I don't think he knows. I just looked at the service report and it says repair or replace both turbos . 8k. Also says blank 2 inlet pipe leaking $3,300. I don't have any smoke and the odor is light and the oil drop is undetectable. Does this make more sense? My car runs fine and the turbo works great.

Oh, and it says the blower motor makes noise and that will be $661.
Dealers sure have a great sense of humor, blower motor is probably easy enough to do yourself (if you actually think it needs it). It's under the glove box:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tec..._Replacing.htm

Sound like their diagnosis is a leaking oil line to me, and they have the turbo replacement option for who knows what reason. Get a second opinion from an independent who specializes in German cars or BMWs.
      03-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
IFLY8
United_States
Rep

No kidding! I will be along someone else. I sure appreciate your help!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

the dealer at it again

take it to an indy for a real diagnosis
Appreciate 0