BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #1
nyfinest25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5

Car Play issues

My car play keeps going in and out. Sometimes it connects and other times it doesn't. Even when I am driving sometimes it will disconnect. Please Let me know any fix to this issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
ncm5guy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 5.0 M Sport

Same issue here. Mine doesn’t occur mid trip, rather it’s more of an issue when I get in/ out in a short period. Tech guy at the dealership had me fully remove and re-add the phone. Didn’t help.

Assuming this has to be a fix in an upcoming update.

But... I’m not sure I’m willing to pay for AirPlay in 12 months anyway. Shame that BMW sees the need to charge for something like this. I have a guess on how may subsrcriptions they’ll sell if the don’t fix this issue though...
2002 M5- retired
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
garo1943
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 x Drive40i

Apple Car Play

I am having all kinds of problems with the Media in my X5. I get in it and it has no media available. I have to turn off my phone to even play the radio. When i do get carplay to work once I go to albums and choose one to play it will play but if you go back to change for any other
album, artist, playlist, or song the screen is blank? Also apple map will always be black. Anyone else experienced this bunch of crap? My car was a January build.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #4
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Yikes, sorry to hear about the media/electronic problems.
Mine was a late Jan or early Feb build. Have to check for sure.
No problems so far with mine though...knock wood.

I find carplay to be a little slow to respond sometimes.
Still deciding if I even like carplay. For now I just like it for highway driving so I can have Waze on the control screen. Otherwise, I think i prefer the idrive system.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
miggy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 Xdrive40i

I am having an intermittent issue with Carplay. about 50-60% of the time when making or receiving calls I can hear the person I am speaking with but they can not hear me. I have an iPhone X and I am on version 11/2008.53. I brought the car in this week to the dealer and explained the issue to my service rep who said he didn't know of any carplay issues with the car which I found surprising considering how many issues you can just on this board. Anyway he told me they were installing the software update. The next day I got a call from the dealer that the car was ready but my service rep was out. I picked up the car it paired well and the phone worked with no issues (its an intermittent problem) after one day the same problems returned and I checked my software version and it is 11/2008.53 not updated. then I look at the paperwork and it says that they checked the carplay and it worked so they didn't install the update. I am beyond pissed at being lied to and my time wasted. I was extremely clear this was an intermittent issue you can't check it once and decide all is okay and then I was told that they were updating the software and they obviously didn't. Sorry for venting. Very disappointed in BMW.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #6
Scott18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by miggy1 View Post
I am having an intermittent issue with Carplay. about 50-60% of the time when making or receiving calls I can hear the person I am speaking with but they can not hear me. I have an iPhone X and I am on version 11/2008.53. I brought the car in this week to the dealer and explained the issue to my service rep who said he didn't know of any carplay issues with the car which I found surprising considering how many issues you can just on this board. Anyway he told me they were installing the software update. The next day I got a call from the dealer that the car was ready but my service rep was out. I picked up the car it paired well and the phone worked with no issues (its an intermittent problem) after one day the same problems returned and I checked my software version and it is 11/2008.53 not updated. then I look at the paperwork and it says that they checked the carplay and it worked so they didn't install the update. I am beyond pissed at being lied to and my time wasted. I was extremely clear this was an intermittent issue you can't check it once and decide all is okay and then I was told that they were updating the software and they obviously didn't. Sorry for venting. Very disappointed in BMW.
That is pretty frustrating. What dealer in NY was this? I bought my car in westchester and i really like the dealership, but they didnt have a clue about software updates when i asked them about it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 12:31 AM   #7
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

I reboot the iDrive 2-3 times daily..its become a part of life i'm used to..sad
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #8
liebo11
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Wow, kind of wish I would have read through these threads BEFORE I leased my 2019 X5 ha.

Anyway... I'm assuming that it's impossible to have both iDrive and CarPlay connected at the same time? In an ideal world, I'd love to take my phone calls via iDrive and use CarPlay really just for Waze and maybe texts.

Anyone know the answer?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
miggy1
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 Xdrive40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott18 View Post
That is pretty frustrating. What dealer in NY was this? I bought my car in westchester and i really like the dealership, but they didnt have a clue about software updates when i asked them about it.
I am using BMW of Freeport. Long Island NY. They have had my car this week for four days. No answers. They started a case with Germany and they are waiting on them supposedly.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 10:15 AM   #10
Scott18
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am using BMW of Freeport. Long Island NY. They have had my car this week for four days. No answers. They started a case with Germany and they are waiting on them supposedly.
Quote:
Quote:
Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:27 AM   #11
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Have an X7 but the iDrive is essentially the same. Been have issues with CarPlay too—much like many posts on this forum. My iPhone XS Max shows up twice. Is this normal? I’ve taken it to the dealership and they reset everything yet this is what I still get. My wife’s iPhone 7 only shows up once.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
stevem12t2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i

appears you changed the name of your phone from Mitch's to Mitchs maybe in itunes during a sync or in the iphone. Try removing your phone listed twice, then in your phone under bluetooth forget the BMW car or remove it in there too. Then reboot the phone by hitting volume up then volume down then the side button holding until apple logo appears. Then re-add the phone. It should make it so it's only connected with one name once after that.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
mcdbirdman
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem12t2 View Post
appears you changed the name of your phone from Mitch's to Mitchs maybe in itunes during a sync or in the iphone. Try removing your phone listed twice, then in your phone under bluetooth forget the BMW car or remove it in there too. Then reboot the phone by hitting volume up then volume down then the side button holding until apple logo appears. Then re-add the phone. It should make it so it's only connected with one name once after that.
Nope. I’ve done everything possible. Even changed the name of the iPhone yet still 2 show up. Also, in my garage CarPlay will only work if it is selected under “WiFi” setting on the iPhone. If I try and connect to my home Wi-Fi network it disconnects my CarPlay connection. One last thing I’ll try is doing all these resets away from my home so there is no chance of interfering. Anyone out there have CarPlay active and still show their home network on the Wi-Fi setting on the iPhone ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:08 PM   #14
lights
Private
Rep

Just to pile on with my experience here (wireless CarPlay with iPhone Xs on iOS 12.2, which is the latest update from Apple).

I'd say about 4 of 5 times I start my car, CarPlay comes up within the first 5 seconds. The other time (probably 20% of the time), it doesn't come up at all.

When CarPlay does not connect...

- I can select Media in the iDrive OS and it will show my phone as connected to the car's WiFi, but not CarPlay. There is no way to connect CarPlay from this screen.
- I can see in the iPhone's WiFi settings page that the phone is connected to my BMW's WiFi. When I swipe down to see the iPhone's quick controls, the WiFi icon appears white, not blue. I learned from trial and error, that if I tap the WiFi quick controls button, it will display a message box that asks if I want to disconnect from CarPlay (despite the fact that CarPlay has not started on my phone). If I select Disconnect, it will disconnect and almost immediately reconnect to WiFi, but most of the time (again, probably 4/5 times), CarPlay will actually connect.

This is of course distracting, because I should be focused on the road, not my iPhone. I sure hope BMW and Apple continue to work on a fix.

I can say that CarPlay issues are not uncommon. I just traded in a 2017 Porsche Macan with *wired* CarPlay that exhibited worse problems than the BMW's wireless CarPlay. It would often take up to a minute to connect and sometimes all audio would still come out of the phone speaker instead of the Car's audio system even when CarPlay was active. I also own a Hyundai Kona with wired CarPlay, where CarPlay will always come up quickly but sometimes the screen will just go black and unresponsive even though CarPlay continues to play audio and respond to voice commands. I have a friend with a Subaru Crosstrek and he reports having frustrating issues with CarPlay too. So as a long-time Apple customer, a new BMW customer, and as someone who has used CarPlay for a couple of years, I'd say that the fault is probably not BMW's... Apple just doesn't really have a great track record with CarPlay.
2019 BMW x5 40i . premium tier . offroad package . integral active steering . parking assistance package . remote start . trailer hitch . heated seats/wheel/armrests . trailer hitch . 20" wheels . arctic gray
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 03:23 PM   #15
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by liebo11 View Post
Wow, kind of wish I would have read through these threads BEFORE I leased my 2019 X5 ha.

Anyway... I'm assuming that it's impossible to have both iDrive and CarPlay connected at the same time? In an ideal world, I'd love to take my phone calls via iDrive and use CarPlay really just for Waze and maybe texts.

Anyone know the answer?
When my X5 was new back in November on its factory software, this was possible and I did it all the time. But now after having had my software updated, I can't do this anymore. Anyone know how?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:52 AM   #16
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
I can say that CarPlay issues are not uncommon.
But the ironic thing is that X3 with iDrive 6 has flawless wireless CarPlay. It has not failed to connect - not even once. It connects within seconds and works without a hitch.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 09:25 AM   #17
lights
Private
Rep

Well I can say that while the latest iOS 12.2 update fixed the Apple Pay / wireless charging issue, I’m still seeing plenty of failure to connect issues. Most of the time, it’s right when I start driving, but occasionally CarPlay will connect and then disconnect after a short while and fail to reconnect unless I
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 12:52 PM   #18
lumpydog
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lights View Post
Well I can say that while the latest iOS 12.2 update fixed the Apple Pay / wireless charging issue,
It's interesting to see that the IOS update fixed the ApplePay issue for some... What is your build date or build week?

I wonder if BMW changed the hardware?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 09:00 PM   #19
sk0rchi
Private
Rep
Drives: '24 G80 M3 CS, '23 G07 X7-40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdbirdman View Post
Have an X7 but the iDrive is essentially the same. Been have issues with CarPlay too—much like many posts on this forum. My iPhone XS Max shows up twice. Is this normal? I’ve taken it to the dealership and they reset everything yet this is what I still get. My wife’s iPhone 7 only shows up once.
After updating to version .35 I gave CarPlay a shot and experienced the same thing. It's as if the logic of iDrive is creating a separate device for use in CarPlay (simultaneously changing its name as to not duplicate the already known device name). This is obviously not a preferred way to get it to work, but it does work. I don't really have a need to use CarPlay so I just deleted the device. Engineers certainly aren't doing themselves any favors to get people to sign up and subscribe post the trial period...

What would be cool though is to have both active, ie. CarPlay as an app on a home screen page so you could toggle between modes.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 10:40 PM   #20
X5_CC
Captain
Rep
Drives: X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0rchi View Post
What would be cool though is to have both active, ie. CarPlay as an app on a home screen page so you could toggle between modes.
What sucks is it used to be like this! On my original software from November, I could toggle between modes. It wasn't an app on the home screen, rather a menu item up top near notifications. It was glitchy, but you could do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 05:29 PM   #21
gapcm765
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5, E53

Hopefully this fixes people’s issues. I have a 2019 X5 and had similar issues with CarPlay. On my 10 it worked perfectly every time, but on my wife’s 8 it would largely not work, sometimes connect but most of the time fail. I thought it was the 8 that had a bug, so I got myself an 11 and gave my wife the 10. After restoring the 10 on her iCloud it stopped working! Long story short I had to debug the hell out of it to figure out what was happening. Amazingly (and kind of scary) CarPlay produces a wifi connection with your car that doesn’t actually show up on your phones wifi connections list. What was happening with my wife’s phone was the car was producing the wifi connection under the name “iPhone” but trying to authenticate the device under the name she had set in her iPhone setting (in her case it has her name!). After going into Settings -> General -> About -> Name and changing the name of the phone to iPhone I got it to work in a stable way. I deleted the phones connections on both the phone and the car before changing the name. Hopefully this fixes the issues everyone is having.
Appreciate 1
      12-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #22
x5TXguyG05
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 (GO5)

Today was the first time I had a problem with CarPlay and I think it was because my phone was still connected to a WiFi hot spot in my backpack. I'll turn that off and test it again later and post here.

So, if your phone is connected to another WiFi when you get in the car, that might be the cause. This is pretty stupid since we all have our phones connected to our home WiFi when we leave the house. But since the wireless CarPlay uses WiFi, not Bluetooth, could be the issue.

Just another problem with Apple products integrating.