BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications    M5C sport exhaust valves close all the time?

03-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #1
onlyoujames
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F90 M5

M5C sport exhaust valves close all the time?

M5 competition sport exhaust valves supposed to be closed even when you change to Sport and Sport Plus Modes?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 05:48 AM   #2
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyoujames View Post
M5 competition sport exhaust valves supposed to be closed even when you change to Sport and Sport Plus Modes?
The valves should be open at default when the engine starts, you can push the button to close the valves. When changing to sport or sport+ the valves should open again if closed or remain open if they already were.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2019, 06:23 AM   #3
onlyoujames
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M135iXdriver View Post
Quote:
The valves should be open at default when the engine starts, you can push the button to close the valves. When changing to sport or sport+ the valves should open again if closed or remain open if they already were.
I was wonder why my M5C sounds very muffled! Will send it to my dealer and have them checked.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 12:08 PM   #4
AgentMax
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

Maybe because it isn't very loud at all with stock exhaust.
Just do some revs and turn on/off the valve button. If you hear a difference its working fine.

Last edited by AgentMax; 03-10-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
The only time it would be closed in that scenario is if you have the muffler button in the off position, that is the 5th button down the side of the gear selector. want noise (there should be a green light on)
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
M4LAKA
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5 Comp

I still think it only opens valves in higher rpm. I don't think it opens it in idle or in low rpms

Past:
2019 M5 Comp
2015 M4
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 03:18 AM   #7
Miller uk
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 Comp

The way I understand it is in "efficient" valves closed regardless of button on centre console. Sports / Sports plus valves open (green light on ) but you can close them by pushing the button (green light off). If you want to test, before starting car, put it in sports plus and then start up you should notice a louder start than when starting in efficient mode
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
M135iXdriver
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Competiton
Location: Northwestern Switzerland veeeeery close to the German Autobahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4LAKA View Post
I still think it only opens valves in higher rpm. I don't think it opens it in idle or in low rpms
As far as I know this should not be the case. It's an unique feature that when you start the car the valves are always open (green light on) and stay open until you push the button. That's how I was told by a BMW Genious.

If someone could test it, my guess is there should even be a difference in economy mode.
2010 - Mazda 3 MPS BL 2.3 (256 bhp) (sold)
Appreciate 1
      03-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #9
Drm5
Private First Class
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 sakhir orange

man you will feeeeeeel de diff. in sport plus since the vibration from the gear change are wild ..!!!
Appreciate 2
      03-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #10
onlyoujames
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller uk View Post
The way I understand it is in "efficient" valves closed regardless of button on centre console. Sports / Sports plus valves open (green light on ) but you can close them by pushing the button (green light off). If you want to test, before starting car, put it in sports plus and then start up you should notice a louder start than when starting in efficient mode
Sent my M5c to dealer again yesterday! Not just checking the exhaust valves but also checking the exhaust rattling noise which started last Thursday and getting louder and louder since then. It sounds like some part of the exhaust pipe vibrates against something and happens during the start up and when engine at low rev.
I am not sure if the flap valves and noise are related but will wait for my dealer to come back to me.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2019, 02:20 PM   #11
turbomcgee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
In sport plus the valves open and close based on a number of things..load, throttle, RPM. - and even when first starting the valves do not always open.

I have my valves permanently open, by unplugging the harness to the actuator when the valves were open. There is a big difference under part throttle and cruise with them open full-time. - my dealer even gave me dummy plugs for the OEM harness.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by M135iXdriver View Post
As far as I know this should not be the case. It's an unique feature that when you start the car the valves are always open (green light on) and stay open until you push the button. That's how I was told by a BMW Genious.

If someone could test it, my guess is there should even be a difference in economy mode.
Bingo - when start up complete valves are open,
Having said that, even during the (green light valve on).
Eco mode less sound, sport a bit more, and sport + lots of sound.

So two things probably happen, the valve to the secondary pipes open, lets say 20%, 50% - sport, 100% sport plus.

As well as the dumb asd inside noise changes, in the same regard.

Simple huh. .

By the way I also have the sport Exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      06-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #13
dappercivility
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Competition

My F90 M5C with the M Sports Exhuast has the exhuast button on during startup in default. I tried to switch it off by pressing the exhuast button till the green light is off but the exhuast is still ridiculously loud during start up. It seems the exhuast valve remains open despite the green light on the exhuast button is off?
      06-05-2019, 10:40 PM   #14
onlyoujames
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dappercivility View Post
My F90 M5C with the M Sports Exhuast has the exhuast button on during startup in default. I tried to switch it off by pressing the exhuast button till the green light is off but the exhuast is still ridiculously loud during start up. It seems the exhuast valve remains open despite the green light on the exhuast button is off?
Yeah, it's loud during startup. I kind of like it and hate it depends locations! However, I found the valves will close after startup and open again when the car warm up if the green light is on. The valves will open permanently in sport + mode.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2019, 06:05 PM   #15
av.7447
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, E60 M5, F06 M6, F15, F90

I have a Canadian non-comp 2019 M5 with a sport exhaust option. What I observed is that valves remain closed during the startup even though exhaust light is on. Also it remains closed throughout all the mods while idling. If I put it in sport plus and rev it up a few times, the exhaust valves open and stay open after that... I am thinking maybe different countries have it programmed differently based on the local noise restrictions??? Also backfire crackles work only in Sport Plus setting. Go figure....
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 11:50 AM   #16
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

the exhaust button should be more referred to as the "burble button" as it just intensifies such. the note is minimal difference on the base models. more so on comps.
for those running at minimum secondary downpipes- will hear the difference slightly more as well
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #17
gtenedio
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '%E2%80%9909 e92 m3, '19 X3, %

Quote:
Originally Posted by av.7447 View Post
I have a Canadian non-comp 2019 M5 with a sport exhaust option. What I observed is that valves remain closed during the startup even though exhaust light is on. Also it remains closed throughout all the mods while idling. If I put it in sport plus and rev it up a few times, the exhaust valves open and stay open after that... I am thinking maybe different countries have it programmed differently based on the local noise restrictions??? Also backfire crackles work only in Sport Plus setting. Go figure....
indeed- sport plus is not as black and white as previous platforms, the baffles open when the car senses some speed ( this is more similar to non m's such as the m40 models IMO.)
whereas the f80 would switch on immediately upon selecting sport or sport+

surprised there isn't an exhaust flap override yet with the JB4. this was clutch on my f80, where I programmed it to stay on 100% of the time.

maybe we can get this if someone can tag a BMS rep here
Appreciate 0