E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help: DS Mode Stopped Working After Dealer Visit

03-14-2019, 08:24 AM   #1
Izero
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335Xi - Alpine White

Help: DS Mode Stopped Working After Dealer Visit

So I just had my 2008 335xi in for the blower motor harness recall, when I got my car back I noticed that the DS mode no longer works when I move the shifter over into what would be DS mode. When I try to shift manually and then put the car back into regular drive mode it takes awhile, it used to be instant.... I'm pretty baffled as to why this would have happened?

I also noticed that there are 3 "new" menus that I've never seen before on the "BC Stalk" menu... those menus are "Service Info", "Set Time", and "Set Date"...

I called the dealer back and got lip service and was told I'd have to pay a $160 diagnostics fee for them to even look at it, I'm pretty sure that they may have updated the firmware and/or software and I now lost DS mode. I'm pretty PO'd at the dealers response, that nothing about the recall work could have affected your sport mode... blah blah blah....

I'm going to pull the shifter boot off in a bit and check for any wiring damage, but if I don't find any then how can I tell if the firmware or software was updated during that service visit?

Is there a way to tell the date of an update or anything of that nature?

I want to go back to that dealer with all the info possible, so I'd appreciate any help or info here.

------- edit ---------

Found the infamous little white wire broken, does anyone know where that wire goes to so I can splice in to repair it?

Thanks.

Last edited by Izero; 03-14-2019 at 09:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
addictedtoboost
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izero View Post
So I just had my 2008 335xi in for the blower motor harness recall, when I got my car back I noticed that the DS mode no longer works when I move the shifter over into what would be DS mode. When I try to shift manually and then put the car back into regular drive mode it takes awhile, it used to be instant.... I'm pretty baffled as to why this would have happened?

I also noticed that there are 3 "new" menus that I've never seen before on the "BC Stalk" menu... those menus are "Service Info", "Set Time", and "Set Date"...

I called the dealer back and got lip service and was told I'd have to pay a $160 diagnostics fee for them to even look at it, I'm pretty sure that they may have updated the firmware and/or software and I now lost DS mode. I'm pretty PO'd at the dealers response, that nothing about the recall work could have affected your sport mode... blah blah blah....

I'm going to pull the shifter boot off in a bit and check for any wiring damage, but if I don't find any then how can I tell if the firmware or software was updated during that service visit?

Is there a way to tell the date of an update or anything of that nature?

I want to go back to that dealer with all the info possible, so I'd appreciate any help or info here.

------- edit ---------

Found the infamous little white wire broken, does anyone know where that wire goes to so I can splice in to repair it?

Thanks.

You should check out https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=842645 I am pretty sure the cable or wiring for the DS mode to engage just took a shit. You just need to get it replaced and your DS mode should be working properly again.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
Lshaw
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i 6mt

Happened to my 07 335xi back in the day. Underneath your shifter. The wires are pinched from going from D to DS and they are probably now severed. Remove the panel and you can see for yourself.

I spliced the wires and reattached them via electrical tape.
15 X5 xdrive 35i (2015-)
17 Forester XT (2016-)
Appreciate 0