BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-14-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Apple Map displays when pressing console MAP button

So I have CarPlay enabled on my phone.

I NEVER use Apple Maps on my phone or in the car, but occasionally use Google map navigation in the BMW, since it happens to work better in my local area traffic than the BMW navigation.

After I use Google map navigation on the BMW via cap play, then every time I press the Map button on the console, instead of the BMW iDrive map, the system displays Apple Maps on the screen.

The only way I can stop it is to unpair the phone and repair it. Per a similar thread, I have cleared out ALL background apps on the phone and the behavior is the same.

If anyone can confirm this is the normal behavior, or if I am doing something wrong, it would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 01:41 PM   #2
crossbytje
Registered
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper D

Hi!

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever solve it without having to unpair/pair your phone?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2019, 02:04 PM   #3
nosnoop
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
After I use Google map navigation on the BMW via cap play, then every time I press the Map button on the console, instead of the BMW iDrive map, the system displays Apple Maps on the screen.

The only way I can stop it is to unpair the phone and repair it. Per a similar thread, I have cleared out ALL background apps on the phone and the behavior is the same.
Yes, this is the normal behaviour.

To display the iDrive map, tap or click on the iDrive map widget instead.
Appreciate 1
beermato101.50
      07-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
beermato
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnoop View Post
I don't think it's normal behavior, only because it's inconsistent. Usually, even when my phone is attached via CarPlay, pressing the "Map" button on the console will cause the iDrive Map to display.

However, after I use Google Maps via CarPlay, pressing the Map button (on the console) will display the Apple Maps (I never use Apple Maps, btw) map - for a random amount of time, generally for the rest of the day, at a minimum.

After some amount of time of not using Google Maps, the console Map button will revert to displaying the iDrive Map.

Quote:
Thanks for this tip, it works!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 05:51 AM   #5
gmoneyt1
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X%

Quote:
Originally Posted by beermato View Post
Quote:
I don't think it's normal behavior, only because it's inconsistent. Usually, even when my phone is attached via CarPlay, pressing the "Map" button on the console will cause the iDrive Map to display.

However, after I use Google Maps via CarPlay, pressing the Map button (on the console) will display the Apple Maps (I never use Apple Maps, btw) map - for a random amount of time, generally for the rest of the day, at a minimum.

After some amount of time of not using Google Maps, the console Map button will revert to displaying the iDrive Map.

Quote:
Thanks for this tip, it works!
I have the same behaviour. This is by design, but I'm not saying I fully agree with it.

Having said that, you shouldn't have to unpair your phone so the Map button reassigns to the IDrive Nav. It will reassign once you start a navigation guidance with IDrive.

Essentially, the map button is assigned to the last navigation app you use for guidance. This kinda make sense and improves the CarPlay integration, though it can be frustrating if you only use that occasionally.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2019, 11:22 AM   #6
elbandito
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW x5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoneyt1 View Post
I have the same behaviour. This is by design, but I'm not saying I fully agree with it.

Having said that, you shouldn't have to unpair your phone so the Map button reassigns to the IDrive Nav. It will reassign once you start a navigation guidance with IDrive.

Essentially, the map button is assigned to the last navigation app you use for guidance. This kinda make sense and improves the CarPlay integration, though it can be frustrating if you only use that occasionally.

Hope that helps!
So I have my home screen as the idrive map and prefer that be on when not using navigation. But after having used Waze, the navigation widget says apple CarPlay map in use and the idrive map doesnt show on the home screen. Is there anyway to reassign the idrive map on the home screen widget? If I click on the widget, it goes back to waze (if that’s the app I used previously for my GPS)
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:05 AM   #7
wdlv
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
Quote:

Hope that helps!
So I have my home screen as the idrive map and prefer that be on when not using navigation. But after having used Waze, the navigation widget says apple CarPlay map in use and the idrive map doesnt show on the home screen. Is there anyway to reassign the idrive map on the home screen widget? If I click on the widget, it goes back to waze (if that’s the app I used previously for my GPS)
This the same behavior for CarPlay, I see. I presume since Apple Maps is builtin or a native app in CarPlay it will always default to it. It does not matter if you have Waze or Google Maps installed.

I would experiment with deleting Apple Maps and then see if there is a changed behavior.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 10:00 AM   #8
kthankzbye
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i, 2020 G05 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdlv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbandito View Post
Quote:

Hope that helps!
So I have my home screen as the idrive map and prefer that be on when not using navigation. But after having used Waze, the navigation widget says apple CarPlay map in use and the idrive map doesnt show on the home screen. Is there anyway to reassign the idrive map on the home screen widget? If I click on the widget, it goes back to waze (if that's the app I used previously for my GPS)
This the same behavior for CarPlay, I see. I presume since Apple Maps is builtin or a native app in CarPlay it will always default to it. It does not matter if you have Waze or Google Maps installed.

I would experiment with deleting Apple Maps and then see if there is a changed behavior.
I've always had my apple map deleted and I do not have that issue. I can use google maps/Waze via car play and when I press NAV. It uses native bmw navigation. How it should be. I hate apple maps.
Appreciate 1
bichoo280.50