BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums F90 M5 vs...    BMW M5 competition vs AMG E63 S

03-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #1
Mani59
BMW Miniature Collector!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E38 735i SE Individual

BMW M5 competition vs AMG E63 S

Visit my (mainly) BMW gallery http://jetone.co.uk
Appreciate 1
bubbaboy107.50
      04-11-2019, 12:51 AM   #2
BMWM4MW
Private
Rep
Drives: M4

E63S better
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #3
limeypride
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4MW View Post
E63S better
Yeah, with such a well-substantiated conclusion, how could you be wrong.

By the way, what makes you leap to that conclusion?
Appreciate 2
vtknight966.50
bubbaboy107.50
      04-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #4
vtknight
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 F90 M5 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM4MW View Post
E63S better
Lol. Thanks for your insight.
Appreciate 2
limeypride4418.50
bubbaboy107.50
      06-25-2022, 11:01 AM   #5
engineer2020
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i

I think both cars are good and both have pros and cons. One has to test them both to decide which fits for him/her. I will post a new thread soon as I test drove both of them and put a ranking for both of them that fits my own criteria.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 12:02 PM   #6
nerdogray
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5 Competition

I test drove an E63S and was left unimpressed. Not sure why. Just not a fan of Mercedes styling in general I guess. Lot of stuff just felt cheap to me. Not to say the M5 doesn't have issues I tend to try and ignore like the weaker AC, the "ventilated" seats, or the sound system, but the M5 just always gets my attention.

Now the S63? I liked that one but for the price difference, I should.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2022, 01:29 AM   #7
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
I can speak intelligently on this, I've owned a 2020 E63S so pre-lci, traded it in with 25k miles for my 22 M5 which I'm at around 1700 miles now.

In general the differences are very nuanced between the cars. Both are absolute beasts, wolves in sheep's clothing. Fairly sleeper cars, I've had the rear debadged on both and live in a smaller town. I feel like the E63S is less known and is always underestimated compared to M5 by general car guy public so to say.

Biggest thing which is no surprise is that the M5C is more refined, there is very little drama and theater when going WOT, quieter cabin, smoother shifts and quieter exhaust hide the sense of speed and acceleration in comparison with the AMG. The E63S was very bipolar, the throttle response was too limp in comfort mode so when you put in Sport+/Race its felt like it wanted to rip faces off, just an angry monster hiding under the hood. The M5C comfort mode is sporty in comparison, which is much better for regular daily driving, BUT it what makes going into Sport+ mode less dramatic.

Exhaust note: with ALL the valves open the E63S wins this round, its an absolute angry animal, its loud enough that you forget its factory, so much so that I've never even considered an aftermarket exhaust, its just loud enough where more would be too much. It doesn't fart or burble, it BANGS at right RPMs, when you let off at 4200 rpm its always random BANGS. Yes I know its programmed like the M5C, but in the BMW the burbles are way too uniform, its too synthetic in comparison while the BANGS in the AMG felt natural. I've noticed sometimes the M5 does bang at very random times but very rarely and its hard to recreate. The fart as I like to call it between shifts in the M5 does sound good when its bounced off other cars. In the AMG you could open/close 2 of the valves with a button, the 3rd valve would only open during Sport+/Race modes akin to M5 valves.

Now some maybe be surprised, but when idling or during start up the M5C exhaust is louder, it has a lot of BASS if that make sense, that low tone noise. The M5 does bark on WARM start ups way more aggressively, in fact on warm start ups the AMG lacked that bark. There is a function in the AMG called "emotion start", its when you push the start button and hold the "-" paddle down immediately, it would rev up to a higher rpm, but you gotta hold it down each time and sometimes revving up to a higher rpm you heard the engine belts whine more than the exhaust (like if you press the pedal during idling to 2k rpm). On cold starts both sound good to me, AMG did sound more muscle car like, more growl, like a chevy small block, especially in the winter months cold starts. In comfort mode the AMG like the M5 is pretty quiet you hardly hear anything and its a pretty civilized sedan, you can drive it like that for weeks and forget there is an angry creature under the hood, which even during 2 years of ownership could surprise you.

The M5 shifts much smoother and much faster, I might be wrong but I think the MCT in the AMG does have harder shifts for more drama but not as quick.

Since it was Pre facelift 2020, the ride was very harsh, lots of cabin noise, they fixed it in the facelift models like they did with the M5, but M5 is a dream compared to the E63S. I thought the E63S would vibrate itself to death, it was so harsh, unless you live in Florida with that smooth asphalt, on more rocky type asphalt you can feel the vibrations. I had all season tires which helped, but my M5 with P zero rides much smoother and quieter.

Neither car feels faster than the other, yes you don't SENSE the speed as much in the M5, but being thrown back into the seat and dominating traffic feels the same in both cars. Yes I know the M5 is faster as proven by many comparisons. My E63 did have the Renntech ECU tune, but rumor is that the computer after a few weeks limits the power back to stock, which might be true as the car did feel "slower" after a while. Even with that in no way shape or form does the M5 feel slower, in fact it feels more responsive, faster kick down even in comfort mode.

Interior was definitely more elegant and prettier in the AMG, it had a little classic style IWC clock on the inside, more areas with carbon fiber, aluminum buttons for climate control and NO PIANO BLACK PLASTIC!!! Cheap plastic on the steering wheel airbag though. Having said that the LCI M5 interior is in no way worse, its more sportier and more utilitarian I'd say, it FEELS like better quality, mainly because the ride is not so jarring. Both cars are pleasure to be in, the piano black plastic pieces suck, collect dust almost immediately, plastic buttons instead of aluminum, but leather on the steering wheel and in general the leather and seats are slightly better. And BMWs UI is leaps and bounds better, just in general best UI of any car I've used.

Both cars have the "basic" sound system, and the AMGs Burmeister is a tad better than the H/K in the BMW, this is playing music over a USB from an MP3 player, which is how you get quality sound. Radio or any streaming music is the same in both.

E63S had cylinder deactivation and coasting mode, so I got 26mpg on a road trip once, in the city it would be 16-18mpgs.

The multibeam LED headlights were better in the AMG, cool transition between low and high beams, cool pattern when starting it up at night, and light density was much better, much clearer and whiter light. Can't speak for BMW lasers as my car has the regular LEDs, they just seems like any other LEDs no different than my GX460 LEDs, the AMG were noticeably fancier.

AMG had 67 shades of interior lighting, which was gimmicky as I've only used 2 or 3 throughout the 2 years. I like the simplicity in the BMW more. The ventilated and massaging seats were also a gimmick, so I didn't even optioned them out in the M5. Never used self driving cruise control or self park.

Some info gauges are better in the AMG, there was one that showed you both the engine and transmission oil temps, to note the tranny temps take longer to get into operating temps, so I wish M5 would have it, because the oil temp gauge is misleading, after a cold start when it shows normal op temp I guarantee the tranny oil is still not there yet.

In the E63S you need to hold the trunk switch up to open the trunk, in the BMW you hold it down lol. Both cars wireless phone charger won't fit your phone, my S21 would fit without its case barely in the BMW, but its always in the case. The E63S albeit a 2020 model didn't have any USB-C ports, didn't have rear climate control, while its standard (4 zone) in the M5C. The sunglass holder in the AMG was made for kids sunglasses or something, unless you wear aviators that fold completely flat, nothing would fit in there, useless.

You can switch your driving modes and especially your chassi/suspension setting by buttons on the fly, without going into the menus. The E63S has a slippery mode which is basically are even more limpier engine mode after comfort. The steering was a little more precise, but its not really that noticeable at least to me.

Lastly if you have the opportunity to own both cars you won't be disappointed with neither, both are amazing hyper sedans. The things I miss about my E63S are very small and inconsequential, the M5 puts a smile on my face and in my heart just the same if not more. Some reviewers claim M5 lacks character, I disagree, it has different character of its own and is one of the best sedans ever made. It be interesting to hear someone go from an M5 into E63S, LCI, too bad the E63S are extremely hard to find since they cancelled the 2022 models.
Name:  20210904_191927.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  193.5 KB

Last edited by TFBravo; 06-29-2022 at 01:39 AM..
Appreciate 7
      07-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #8
Kponti
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M8C comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFBravo View Post
I can speak intelligently on this, I've owned a 2020 E63S so pre-lci, traded it in with 25k miles for my 22 M5 which I'm at around 1700 miles now.

In general the differences are very nuanced between the cars. Both are absolute beasts, wolves in sheep's clothing. Fairly sleeper cars, I've had the rear debadged on both and live in a smaller town. I feel like the E63S is less known and is always underestimated compared to M5 by general car guy public so to say.

Biggest thing which is no surprise is that the M5C is more refined, there is very little drama and theater when going WOT, quieter cabin, smoother shifts and quieter exhaust hide the sense of speed and acceleration in comparison with the AMG. The E63S was very bipolar, the throttle response was too limp in comfort mode so when you put in Sport+/Race its felt like it wanted to rip faces off, just an angry monster hiding under the hood. The M5C comfort mode is sporty in comparison, which is much better for regular daily driving, BUT it what makes going into Sport+ mode less dramatic.

Exhaust note: with ALL the valves open the E63S wins this round, its an absolute angry animal, its loud enough that you forget its factory, so much so that I've never even considered an aftermarket exhaust, its just loud enough where more would be too much. It doesn't fart or burble, it BANGS at right RPMs, when you let off at 4200 rpm its always random BANGS. Yes I know its programmed like the M5C, but in the BMW the burbles are way too uniform, its too synthetic in comparison while the BANGS in the AMG felt natural. I've noticed sometimes the M5 does bang at very random times but very rarely and its hard to recreate. The fart as I like to call it between shifts in the M5 does sound good when its bounced off other cars. In the AMG you could open/close 2 of the valves with a button, the 3rd valve would only open during Sport+/Race modes akin to M5 valves.

Now some maybe be surprised, but when idling or during start up the M5C exhaust is louder, it has a lot of BASS if that make sense, that low tone noise. The M5 does bark on WARM start ups way more aggressively, in fact on warm start ups the AMG lacked that bark. There is a function in the AMG called "emotion start", its when you push the start button and hold the "-" paddle down immediately, it would rev up to a higher rpm, but you gotta hold it down each time and sometimes revving up to a higher rpm you heard the engine belts whine more than the exhaust (like if you press the pedal during idling to 2k rpm). On cold starts both sound good to me, AMG did sound more muscle car like, more growl, like a chevy small block, especially in the winter months cold starts. In comfort mode the AMG like the M5 is pretty quiet you hardly hear anything and its a pretty civilized sedan, you can drive it like that for weeks and forget there is an angry creature under the hood, which even during 2 years of ownership could surprise you.

The M5 shifts much smoother and much faster, I might be wrong but I think the MCT in the AMG does have harder shifts for more drama but not as quick.

Since it was Pre facelift 2020, the ride was very harsh, lots of cabin noise, they fixed it in the facelift models like they did with the M5, but M5 is a dream compared to the E63S. I thought the E63S would vibrate itself to death, it was so harsh, unless you live in Florida with that smooth asphalt, on more rocky type asphalt you can feel the vibrations. I had all season tires which helped, but my M5 with P zero rides much smoother and quieter.

Neither car feels faster than the other, yes you don't SENSE the speed as much in the M5, but being thrown back into the seat and dominating traffic feels the same in both cars. Yes I know the M5 is faster as proven by many comparisons. My E63 did have the Renntech ECU tune, but rumor is that the computer after a few weeks limits the power back to stock, which might be true as the car did feel "slower" after a while. Even with that in no way shape or form does the M5 feel slower, in fact it feels more responsive, faster kick down even in comfort mode.

Interior was definitely more elegant and prettier in the AMG, it had a little classic style IWC clock on the inside, more areas with carbon fiber, aluminum buttons for climate control and NO PIANO BLACK PLASTIC!!! Cheap plastic on the steering wheel airbag though. Having said that the LCI M5 interior is in no way worse, its more sportier and more utilitarian I'd say, it FEELS like better quality, mainly because the ride is not so jarring. Both cars are pleasure to be in, the piano black plastic pieces suck, collect dust almost immediately, plastic buttons instead of aluminum, but leather on the steering wheel and in general the leather and seats are slightly better. And BMWs UI is leaps and bounds better, just in general best UI of any car I've used.

Both cars have the "basic" sound system, and the AMGs Burmeister is a tad better than the H/K in the BMW, this is playing music over a USB from an MP3 player, which is how you get quality sound. Radio or any streaming music is the same in both.

E63S had cylinder deactivation and coasting mode, so I got 26mpg on a road trip once, in the city it would be 16-18mpgs.

The multibeam LED headlights were better in the AMG, cool transition between low and high beams, cool pattern when starting it up at night, and light density was much better, much clearer and whiter light. Can't speak for BMW lasers as my car has the regular LEDs, they just seems like any other LEDs no different than my GX460 LEDs, the AMG were noticeably fancier.

AMG had 67 shades of interior lighting, which was gimmicky as I've only used 2 or 3 throughout the 2 years. I like the simplicity in the BMW more. The ventilated and massaging seats were also a gimmick, so I didn't even optioned them out in the M5. Never used self driving cruise control or self park.

Some info gauges are better in the AMG, there was one that showed you both the engine and transmission oil temps, to note the tranny temps take longer to get into operating temps, so I wish M5 would have it, because the oil temp gauge is misleading, after a cold start when it shows normal op temp I guarantee the tranny oil is still not there yet.

In the E63S you need to hold the trunk switch up to open the trunk, in the BMW you hold it down lol. Both cars wireless phone charger won't fit your phone, my S21 would fit without its case barely in the BMW, but its always in the case. The E63S albeit a 2020 model didn't have any USB-C ports, didn't have rear climate control, while its standard (4 zone) in the M5C. The sunglass holder in the AMG was made for kids sunglasses or something, unless you wear aviators that fold completely flat, nothing would fit in there, useless.

You can switch your driving modes and especially your chassi/suspension setting by buttons on the fly, without going into the menus. The E63S has a slippery mode which is basically are even more limpier engine mode after comfort. The steering was a little more precise, but its not really that noticeable at least to me.

Lastly if you have the opportunity to own both cars you won't be disappointed with neither, both are amazing hyper sedans. The things I miss about my E63S are very small and inconsequential, the M5 puts a smile on my face and in my heart just the same if not more. Some reviewers claim M5 lacks character, I disagree, it has different character of its own and is one of the best sedans ever made. It be interesting to hear someone go from an M5 into E63S, LCI, too bad the E63S are extremely hard to find since they cancelled the 2022 models.
Attachment 2919578
Great write-up. I went from a 2018 M5 to a 2021 E63s
The ride is much better in the face lift E63 than pre-facelift. However, it is still stiffer than my base M5 was. My M5 was jumpy on sport plus suspension while the AmG feels more planted despite the stiffer ride.
E feels much faster than the M, however, the M was a 2018 base model (before comp was a thing).

The E looks much much more upscale and better inside, and more distinguished on the outside than the M.
The M feels a whole lot more solid with a lot fewer squeaks and interior noises than the E. It is rather insignificant in looks outside as well except to enthusiasts. What I mean is, looks like a regular 540i with a sport package (black on black), whereas the E63 looks like an AMG and a much more upscale version of the E350

My experiences so far
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #9
Advantage
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5 F90 Competition

Good video. I've been roll racing my M5 Competition and she's much faster when punching it in automatic mode than manual. I would assume the roll race in this video would have had a different outcome if that were the case.
Appreciate 1
damianwo105.50
      07-25-2022, 04:05 PM   #10
Slugsy01
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E63s AMG Estate

I've had both, though my E63S Wagon was pre face lift. As has already been commented on very eloquently, the E63S had much more raw emotion, exhaust was simply exquisite and even with my Akra on the M5C, it doesn't compare. The E63S was less comfortable ride but nicer interior. M5C more refined and a smidge faster.

One thing I do miss about the E63S was the boot space, much better for golf clubs!

I lovd both, still miss the E63S but love driving my M5C.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2022, 11:19 PM   #11
TFBravo
Some Guy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 GX460, 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kponti View Post
Great write-up. I went from a 2018 M5 to a 2021 E63s
The ride is much better in the face lift E63 than pre-facelift. However, it is still stiffer than my base M5 was. My M5 was jumpy on sport plus suspension while the AmG feels more planted despite the stiffer ride.
E feels much faster than the M, however, the M was a 2018 base model (before comp was a thing).

The E looks much much more upscale and better inside, and more distinguished on the outside than the M.
The M feels a whole lot more solid with a lot fewer squeaks and interior noises than the E. It is rather insignificant in looks outside as well except to enthusiasts. What I mean is, looks like a regular 540i with a sport package (black on black), whereas the E63 looks like an AMG and a much more upscale version of the E350

My experiences so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slugsy01 View Post
I've had both, though my E63S Wagon was pre face lift. As has already been commented on very eloquently, the E63S had much more raw emotion, exhaust was simply exquisite and even with my Akra on the M5C, it doesn't compare. The E63S was less comfortable ride but nicer interior. M5C more refined and a smidge faster.

One thing I do miss about the E63S was the boot space, much better for golf clubs!

I loved both, still miss the E63S but love driving my M5C.
Thank you for sharing! I can whole heartily agree if I could have it my way I'd own both. E63S is the only way to own a Mercedes and the best bang for your buck of the AMGs, faster than a AMG GT and cheaper than a GT63 4 door. Still earning "The Hammer" name sake.

My biggest regret was not getting the wagon back in 2020, I talked down a dealer to $116K during the lock down, but ended buying the sedan for 110. And when I was selling it Feb this year, 2020 wagons were being sold for $120-125k!

I do agree that Pre-LCI M5s exterior and interior, looks wise, looked far inferior. I actually admired the "sleeper" look of the M5, I agree not being a BMW guy it would be hard to distinguish one from a 530i with a sports package. The interior in comparison I though looked very cheap, and being similarly priced luxury sedan for over 100k, it looked like trash to be honest in comparison!

I think they've done much better job with the LCI, the exterior does look distinguished now. The interior is much improved. People don't know and owners forget that the E63S borrowed a lot of interior pieces and styling from the S class, it wasn't a regular E-class interior spruced up.
Appreciate 1
Slugsy01155.50