BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X2 Forum (F39) Auto Start/Stop Question

03-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #1
North Shore Trader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 X2 x28i MSport

Auto Stop/Start Question

Hi, all.

Recently upgraded to a 2018 X2 from a 2014 328 GT.

On the GT I could disable the Auto Stop/Start feature by pressing the button to disable it (light on) and do this on a few consecutive rides (3??) and then the car would remember my preference.

I've tried this with the X2 with no success.

Is it different with this model and year??.

Thx in advance.

Cheers from Toronto Canada.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
billnchristy
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440xi GC

Garage List
You have to re-code it unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
m630
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X4M Comp / ‘22 X3 / f136

Garage List
‘22 X4MC  [0.00]
If you always drive in sport it doesnt kickoff even if the button is on. But i agree it should remember and allow u to deactivate without coding
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:58 PM   #4
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 orange x2 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m630 View Post
If you always drive in sport it doesnt kickoff even if the button is on. But i agree it should remember and allow u to deactivate without coding
Great idea, but the reason stop/start exists is to get them better EPA mileage scores and anything other than manual for this session disabling of them could come back and bite them. I'm sure they have zero interest in being slammed for false numbers like some other manufacturers have.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 05:23 PM   #5
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
I think it’s highly unlikely that auto stop contributes any more than .01 mpg or even less.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I think it’s highly unlikely that auto stop contributes any more than .01 mpg or even less.
and you would be incorrect, while in many driving scenarios it won't, in the EPA testing cycle it's enough to make it worth their while, that's the whole reason it exists.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:00 AM   #7
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Shore Trader View Post
Hi, all.

Recently upgraded to a 2018 X2 from a 2014 328 GT.

On the GT I could disable the Auto Stop/Start feature by pressing the button to disable it (light on) and do this on a few consecutive rides (3??) and then the car would remember my preference.

I've tried this with the X2 with no success.

Is it different with this model and year??.

Thx in advance.

Cheers from Toronto Canada.
Hi
The BMW system does have a remember last setting option for stop-start and it can be enabled using Bimmercode and other tools. I would imagine your dealer could also do it for you. Unfortunately it is not an iDrive menu option. I understand that in certain countries/regimes like the EU (and presumably Canada) which are “nanny state” have decided it must default to “on” every time you switch off your car. The BMW internal menu allows a number of setting including switching off stop-start entirely. I changed mine to “remember last setting. You could try going to the general BMW coding forum and ask if there is someone in your neighbourhood who would be willing to change the setting for you.

There are times I am happy with stop-start being enabled and there are other occasions where the delay it causes in pulling out into traffic is an irritant.

Last edited by MJE60; 03-21-2019 at 07:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #8
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
Maybe incorrect for a bs lab test but in the real world it’s a different story. Climate plays a big part too, in the south the engine will kick back on after about 20 seconds unless you want to bake.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Maybe incorrect for a bs lab test but in the real world it’s a different story. Climate plays a big part too, in the south the engine will kick back on after about 20 seconds unless you want to bake.
The manufacturers don't care about the real world when it comes to EPA ratings and this has been proven repeatedly, it's why auto stop on/off that is not defeatable is so prevalent and the disappearance of spare tires in the US. The US is a nanny state for EPA ratings, just remember how hard Hyundai got smacked down about 7 years ago.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #10
billnchristy
Major
Rep

Garage List
My 16 x1 remembered settings, I guess something changed in 3 years?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #11
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My 16 x1 remembered settings, I guess something changed in 3 years?
They (or their lawyers) decided to play safer on the vehicles they sell more of which would be more noticeable.
Even my Focus RS had it non-defeatable out of the box but you could code it out.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:08 AM   #12
farg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3

My 14 X3 remembered settings and my 18 M3 does as well. Must be specific to to this model.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 04:21 AM   #13
pandauk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
and you would be incorrect, while in many driving scenarios it won't, in the EPA testing cycle it's enough to make it worth their while, that's the whole reason it exists.
It's done to keep emissions lower isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2019, 06:37 AM   #14
dianebrat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandauk View Post
It's done to keep emissions lower isn't it?
Nope. it's all about the MPG rating, just a 1 MPG increase is a huge selling point for some reason here.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 07:37 AM   #15
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Anybody know the specific instruction to change? I have used NCSExpert (which is neither real hard or real easy) and could probably make the change. But looking around for it would be time consuming.

I did a quick google search and found that Buick estimated 4-5% benefits in terms of gas mileage and AAA claims to have tested 3 vehicles and it showed 5-7% savings on the EPA cycle. A car and driver article says that the EPA averages the gas mileage with it on and off if there is a switch that reverts to on when you turn the car off. It does the test only with if off if the car will stay in that position when you turn it off. I think that explains why it reverts to "on". 5% would be between 1 and 2 mpg. While that isn't trivial, it assumes a specific driving pattern that may not be applicable (it is in the AAA article) and it also ignores the added duty on the starter, battery, and flywheel of all the additional starts.

At least BMW doesn't hide the coding like they do the speedometer "correction".
      04-06-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
MJE60
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW G01 xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Anybody know the specific instruction to change? I have used NCSExpert (which is neither real hard or real easy) and could probably make the change. But looking around for it would be time consuming.

I did a quick google search and found that Buick estimated 4-5% benefits in terms of gas mileage and AAA claims to have tested 3 vehicles and it showed 5-7% savings on the EPA cycle. A car and driver article says that the EPA averages the gas mileage with it on and off if there is a switch that reverts to on when you turn the car off. It does the test only with if off if the car will stay in that position when you turn it off. I think that explains why it reverts to "on". 5% would be between 1 and 2 mpg. While that isn't trivial, it assumes a specific driving pattern that may not be applicable (it is in the AAA article) and it also ignores the added duty on the starter, battery, and flywheel of all the additional starts.

At least BMW doesn't hide the coding like they do the speedometer "correction".
Hello
Probably the easiest way for majority of owners is to buy the Bimmercode app and a recommended obd dongle (Bimmercode gives recommended dongles). At a guess both together would be $70 - $80.
Within Bimmercode easy mode (the safest mode), under the FEM or for F48 the BDC (body domain controller) ecu/section there are 2 main options, you can deactivate auto stop/start entirely or you can set it to remember last setting (IMO the best choice). There is also an option to adjust setting in eco mode. The functions are clearly labelled and setting are just a menu selection, aktiv or not. There are a number of Youtube vids to give you an idea of what is involved. You are not really “coding” but actually just adjusting settings with the cars hidden ecu menus. The added advantage is there are also easy menu options to enable easy access, comfort mode door and mirror close. In US you can activate fob tailgate close etc.

If anyone is considering using Bimmercode, I would recommend you read my Bimmercode 2 top tips thread as it highlights how to avoid biggest risk from using the app. If anyone needs further help or advice , please just ask. I recommend using the Vgate pro bluetooth obd2 dongle (reasons given in my thread).you can buy this through Amazon or eBay to name a few. [the one I bought through eBay had Amazon branding].

Please note coding the auto stop start to remember last setting will not be detected by your dealer (I.e no alarms, error codes or warnings) but would be lost if your dealer updates the car (you would have to reset it again), nor “should” it affect warranty unless you recklessly start playing around in app expert mode. Please note I am providing information, not taking responsibility for your actions.

Last edited by MJE60; 04-06-2019 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2019, 08:29 PM   #17
CanonEOS
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 330i

Quote:

I want to say that I'm getting about 2-3 MPG more, which is quite significant and I'm also in a decent about of stop and go traffic. Whenever you're idling for more than 7 seconds you're wasting gas
Appreciate 0